Prophecy - Direct 3D or Glide?

jpummill

Spaceman
I understand that Wing Commander Prophecy will run with either Direct 3D or Glide.

Does anyone have any recommendations or preferences.

Also, I have a Geforce2 MX video card that does not support Glide so could anyone recommend a Glide emulator that works well with the Geforce2 MX chip.

Thanks again for any responses,
Jpummill

I'm sorry but there's no emulator for the geforce2 MX:(
Only one glide emilator exited and was for the good and old creative TNT or some similar chipset...I don't remember.

Originally posted by Zor Prime

Cadet
I'm sorry but there's no emulator for the geforce2 MX
Only one glide emilator exited and was for the good and old creative TNT or some similar chipset...I don't remember.

ooooooohhhhhhhh.......do you know where to get it?

1) My opinion would be the Glide API as preferred. Unfortunately, it looks like U R outta luck, since you have an NVidia card.

One possibility though: Buy an old Voodoo2 card, put it in a spare PCI slot, and hook up a video "A/B switchbox" to that and your NVidia card (inputs on the switchbox), then plug the monitor into the box as the output device. Then simply switch to the Voodoo2 card when you wanna run a Glide game, leaving it on yer NVidia card for all other purposes. Haven't yet tried this on my system, but I'm working on it.

2) The driver he's referring to is/was called the "unified driver", or something like that. It was released for Creative's TNT2 card ("Annihilator"?...). Maybe you can get the driver from them, or by scouring the web for it. Still, it may not work unless you have that exact Creative TNT2 card installed. might be worth a try, if you can get yer hands on that Creative board...

I would not suggest getting a V2 card. I have two (SLI) and it's not compatible with DX8. DX7 yes but not DX8. If you get a V4000/5000 series card and do what Preacher suggested it would most likely work but you'll need a really good A/B box. You'll most likely loss refresh rate.

Most AB boxes only support up to 65 mhz. Since Glide is now a dead tech. I would suggest you forget it and just play it in DX.

yes, it was the annihilator unified driver...
It didn't came with the board itself due to legal stuff!
I think that on some old pages of creative there's still the program, otherwise you could try 3dfiles.com or some other site like that!

BTW, John12, my V2 works perfectly under DX8! I dunno if there is any problem with the SLI mode, but I think they're quit the same! :)

There's a program called Power Strip, which allow to switch from a video card to another via software, why don't you try it?
Could be what you were looking for...

I did some follow up research after starting this thread and found some information that you guys might be interested in.

The following link is for glide emulators that convert glide calls into Direct-3d.

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/glidewrapper.html

Also, not mentioned at this link is another glide wrapper that I found called evoodoo but I don't have the link for it.

Thanks for all the replies by the way.
Jpummill

I think you must get a pretty damned good Glide emulator for it to get near the performance of native D3D. If you don't have a glide card and the game supports D3D, why bother?

Originally posted by Bloodfang
yes, it was the annihilator unified driver...
It didn't came with the board itself due to legal stuff!
I think that on some old pages of creative there's still the program, otherwise you could try 3dfiles.com or some other site like that!

BTW, John12, my V2 works perfectly under DX8! I dunno if there is any problem with the SLI mode, but I think they're quit the same! :)

There's a program called Power Strip, which allow to switch from a video card to another via software, why don't you try it?
Could be what you were looking for...

a) Maybe it didn't come WITH the Annihilator, but the key question here is: Will it WORK with ONLY that board, or will it work for "ANY" TNT2 board?...

b) For John12: What's the RELEVANCE of whether or not it'll work w/ DirectX 8--WCP only requires DX 6 or thereabouts; since you'd be switching to your "other" board for all other (read: DX7 and beyond) games, DX 8 compatibility is a moot point, no?...

Originally posted by Johnl12
I would not suggest getting a V2 card. I have two (SLI) and it's not compatible with DX8. DX7 yes but not DX8. If you get a V4000/5000 series card and do what Preacher suggested it would most likely work but you'll need a really good A/B box. You'll most likely loss refresh rate.

Most AB boxes only support up to 65 mhz. Since Glide is now a dead tech. I would suggest you forget it and just play it in DX.

Not when the grafix quality is superior, dude!...

Originally posted by Preacher

a) Maybe it didn't come WITH the Annihilator, but the key question here is: Will it WORK with ONLY that board, or will it work for "ANY" TNT2 board?...

1 Preacher, I was giving a HINT where to find the wrapper and a HELP like everyone here!

2 YES, probably it works with every TNT2 chipset. The TNT2 has been licensed to lots of board producers, but it was just the same. Only the GPU speed changed for every model. The best thing, is to get Nvidia general driver for TNT2 and let it work with thw glide wrapper. In this way you shouldn't occur in any conflict.

Originally posted by Bloodfang
Originally posted by Preacher

1 Preacher, I was giving a HINT where to find the wrapper and a HELP like everyone here!

2 YES, probably it works with every TNT2 chipset. The TNT2 has been licensed to lots of board producers, but it was just the same. Only the GPU speed changed for every model. The best thing, is to get Nvidia general driver for TNT2 and let it work with thw glide wrapper. In this way you shouldn't occur in any conflict.

1) Incur...
2) What'd you do 2 get banned, dude?...

He's going to answer that, unless he decides to make an even bigger ass of himself.

A good thing too, because this is not the place for this type of discussion. Take it to e-mail.

Back