Progress Update

Just figured I'd make my comment here...

I love the idea of the repair kit. It maintains realism while eliminating the potential of encountering a frustrating situation that's out of your control.

I also think that ordinance as cargo has potential, maybe you can't install it yourself without the facilities, but trading FF missiles can be fun... And if the base has a shipyard but are out of, or don't offer FF missiles then they can be installed for a fee, since you have the supply, and they have the knowhow...

BattleFate said:
Just figured I'd make my comment here...

I love the idea of the repair kit. It maintains realism while eliminating the potential of encountering a frustrating situation that's out of your control.

I also think that ordinance as cargo has potential, maybe you can't install it yourself without the facilities, but trading FF missiles can be fun... And if the base has a shipyard but are out of, or don't offer FF missiles then they can be installed for a fee, since you have the supply, and they have the knowhow...

Excellent idea.

In other news: Hows the progress going? What are you all working on now? Does there seem to be light at the end of the tunnel? Is it getting closer?

Shotglass said:
Excellent idea.

In other news: Hows the progress going? What are you all working on now? Does there seem to be light at the end of the tunnel? Is it getting closer?
Howard and the other people working on Pioneer have already said that it will be a year or two (or three:) ) before Pioneer is finished.

To expand on BattleFate's comment on being able to bring ordinance with you as cargo, and having it installed at a base, this might also work well with the idea of having a mechanic on board. With a mechanic, perhaps you could load your missiles at a base whether or not they've a shipyard, since he has the "knowhow". Or even more intricate and exciting, perhaps on a large ship (esp. Hydra) that could concievably have an airlock, the mechanic could exit the ship and load missiles in flight once he's through patching things up after a firefight. This could make extended tours of duty more viable, and make the gunboat that much more ferocious. Like many suggestions here, this is less conventional, and perhaps therefore objectionable, but lets all agree it would be damned cool.

The demo was supposed to be earlier this year. It's just a tech demo though to show off the engine and such.

Yeah, the problem is that We're trying to put this game together in a logical workable way - to make it as dev-friendly as we can. We simply can't afford to go through all the hoops a normal dev team can. It must be absolutely easy to get stuff into the game, and functioning. That means that there will be many inter-dependancies that complicate things in the inital code creation stage. We wanted to get a demo out to you guys earlier this year - as Chris mentioned - But it turns out that it'd actually be faster for us to get more of the actual gameplay system in there before we do so. So we've been focusing on getting as many functional elements completed as we can. We're currently focusing on the cockpit system - Joel and I are working to make that as smooth and awesome as possible. Once that's done we'll have only a few obstacles in the way to allowing us to release a top-notch demo. I believe the waiting systems are Visible controls (joystick, yoke, throttle), finalized space lighting system, sounds completed (around 40% of the way there.. not as hard as it sounds. Hah!), Basic AI, Weapon and Game Logic (mostly completed), Visible Damage system, Finalized effects, and some testing of the final demo. In all likelyhood you're looking at a couple more months - but with any luck, and a minimum of stuipid mistakes, we should have it mostly done in a couple of weeks. But probably 2 months. Yeah. Sorry for the lack of updates here - I've been slammed at work and the possiblity of more computer work hasn't exactly been inspiring. With Joel back available, that will change very soon. Tomorrow in fact.

Back