Privateer.

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
Huzzah!!! I believe I am in the process of beating WC Privateer. I just picked up this totally kick ass gun... now would someone PLEASE tell me why the hell this weird ass green ship thats shaped kinda like an egg is following me, and how I get rid of it?? It shoots me down before I can complete a mission!

You can't get rid of it yet. When it shows up, just run, you can't damage it until after a later plot point.

If you're having difficulty getting away, try lobbing a guided missile at it. The missile won't do anything in terms of damage, but it still triggers the AI missile evasion routine, which can give you enough time to hit the next jump point to escape (it doesn't show up in every sector).

Given the game is 14 years old, I don't know if spoiler warnings are necessary.

Also, there are spoiler tags for this forum. (spoiler)(/spoiler) (change parentheses to square brackets, of course).

example

Look here for all the vBulletin formatting codes.

Huzzah!!! I believe I am in the process of beating WC Privateer. I just picked up this totally kick ass gun... now would someone PLEASE tell me why the hell this weird ass green ship thats shaped kinda like an egg is following me, and how I get rid of it?? It shoots me down before I can complete a mission!

Congratulations. Ah, what a wonderful exciting time you now have before you. That Steltek drone really is scary. Privateer is so awesome.

Ill tell you this end is so worth it and with RF addon you can extend game time even more. And after finishing the game you can go for the elusive Kilrathi ammunition dump search.

Any one besides Rygannon. And this is a hint, not a spoiler of anything.

To head off the next question, there is no actual dump. The closest thing is the derelict.

EDIT: Ah, a bartender rumor... never bothered with these during my Privateer playing time.

He's referring to one of the bartender rumors from Privateer, which claims there's a Kilrathi ammo dump you can find hidden in an asteroid field. The rumor is *supposed* to refer to the Steltek Derelict (recall that all the rumors believe the drone is a Kilrathi weapon)... but since the earliest days of Privaterer fandom on Compuserve, people have been searching for the lost 'Kilrathi base' with no success (and to be clear, it isn't in the game).

When I played Privateer and RF back in '93/'94, I spent considerable time looking for that base.....a true fool's errand. Recently, however, I finally got to visit the Kilrathi ammo dump in the hollow asteroid.....but not in the original Origin game.

a true fool's errand.

Yes, in the same vein as needing to find "Sailboat Fuel" or "the Lennox Pliers" or any such nonsense ;)

Ahhh... Privateer was SO awesome the first time through... even now, with playing it through a few times, I still love it (because I've forgotten some things that work and have to invent new tricks, etc.)...

It's fun reading about someone else playing Privateer for the first time. It really takes me back to my first time.

I ducked out of work to buy my first copy of Privateer, immediately after it was delivered to the local Egghead (the receipt in the box indicates that I bought it at 12:34 pm on 9/27/93. With my 5% Cue member discount, it cost me $47.89, plus $3.47 sales tax). I could have sworn there was a speech pack for the original game, but maybe I'm confusing it with another game (or maybe it's buried in the back of my game closet).

The game totally blew me away as did RF later on. The first time through was the best.....and I figuratively played the game to death over the next few months.

I consider the definitive version to be the "CD Edition" (with full speech) which I bought on 7/1/94, also at Egghead. I later bought the "EA presents CD-ROM Classics" edition (to have a back-up copy of the game) and, finally, the EA CD-ROM Classics Gold Edition (which included an Autoexec/config.sys boot for Win95 and an instant $10 rebate for P2).

Oh yeah, I really did find a Kilrathi asteroid base (where you can buy Gothris, Dralthis, etc.), but only in PR. ;)

I ducked out of work to buy my first copy of Privateer shortly after it was delivered to the local Egghead (according to the receipt in the box, I bought it at 12:34 pm on 10/27/93).

Yes, that first play-through was probably the best. To this day, Privateer remains my all-around favorite pc game. Played it off-and-on for months and then bought RF and continued to do the same.

The definitve edition was, of course, not the first one with its 6 3.5 floppies. That would be the full-voiced CD-ROM edition, which I bought on 7/1/94. I subsequently bought two additional copies of the game: the EA CD-ROM classics edition (to have a backup copy), and the EA CD-ROM Classics Gold Edition (which included a tailored autoexec/config.sys for Win95 DOS boot-up).

By the time I got to Win98 SE days, it was getting tough to run Privateer. Had to use a special mouse driver ("Mickey Mouse") which loaded high. Only way to squeeze the necessary mem to get everything needed to load the game up. Now DosBox has pretty much made all the old games playable again.

What's weird is that I thought the original Privateer came with an optional speech pack.....but I'm just not finding it in the old game closet. Maybe I'm confusing it with WC2.

What's weird is that I thought the original Privateer came with an optional speech pack.....but I'm just not finding it in the old game closet. Maybe I'm confusing it with WC2.

Wing Commander 2 and Privateer both had speech packs. They later went back and did a full-speech CD-ROM of Privateer, with a different voice for the main character.

(There were also speech packs for Strike Commander and Ultima VIII, I believe.)

Yeah, I thought there was a speech pack. I dug in my closet some more and came up with the original RF box (with no diskettes or documentation in it, except the receipt) and an EA Classics WC2 on CD (which I didn't even know I had).

I would've bought the Privateer speech pack with the game, but it's not on the receipt, which is odd. Why would I do two transactions? I know I have the speech pack, just don't know where. I do have Strike Commander, its speech pack and expansion. IIRC, it used the same npc interaction graphics as Privateer.

Back