Privateer Splash Screen

alright, that's how the scene looks so far

16qs.jpg

they didnt. as LOAF stated, the ship is upside down...you are viewing the bottom of the ship. the cockpit is stubbier, but it is the same setup as the one in the rendered image.

it's all well and good to use 'bits from your imagination' but when it comes to WC...i wouldn't, especially if you're going to have a fully accurate centurion, and a 'nod in general shape' gladius, and if you're recreating an image as well. do it accurately. also, to recreate something with a 99% degree of accuracy will serve to enhance your own modeling abilities to boot. it's a challenge.

the star field looks MUCH better. the lighting is still to dark.

Brad Mick

the lighting looks pretty good, pretty similar lighting to the original, don't want to make it too bright, after all it is space

honestly I like the first redone version better than the current one...the gladius is too thick or something

well... if you like the previous one, than i just can render it with the ingame model as on the first render. So if you want it, i'll do it in 1024x768. Cause generaly the scene is done, i'll just put the previous model back and render it for you if you wish ;) You are the boss after all ;)

also, thanks to new references which have come to light....that's not the bottom of the ship, but the top. what you're seeing is inside the cockpit, those are lights inside the pit. the ships pit is slightly stubbier, but not like the longbows in anyway. i'll have a gladius model for ou to use before long.

Brad Mick

The Original
titlescreen.jpg

Your Version
16qs.jpg

Your new title screen is too dark, the colors should match with the original, the planet should be textured as well like in the original, the nebular is in the lower right corner, the sun close to the planet with a lense flare effect, some big white stars etc. compare both i think the old one still rocks :)

I don't know...they both look good. The new can definitely use those changes, but the ships and plasma bolts sure look a whole lot better.

You guys certainly are picky.

IMO, the sheer fact that we have a new splash screen done at an acceptable resolution makes it infinitely better than the original. Yes, it would be awesome if it looked exactly like the original screen, but I think that it looks great now.

Looks to me as if in the original the right engine was taking a hit and was right about to explode... Am I wrong?

I really like both new splashscreens you made cyberion...try adding guns to the first so I can see them side by side--I'll definitely choose one of yours for the final release

well as Brad is making the Gladious model (99% similar to the original) i guess we can wait for few days till its done, than i'll put it into the scene and render it, will look twice better (i'll add some of my procedural textures to give it a more realistic metallic look, cause not only the image map, but image maps in the combination with the right procedurals, make the ultimate skin ;))

His gladious model is much better than mine, so i have to admit, that waiting for his model to be finished will let me to creat more appropriate render ;)

Although i disagree on the planet. It shouldn't look the same as on the picture. Simply cause its almost impossible (well its possible but it well take several days to draw the right surface map) and also so bright terrain won't suit the realistic part of the render.

Concerning the lightinning, ya, i'll be making scene a little bit more lighter, but not so light as the original one... have some dark parts help realistic rendering... cause real space (and the space in WCU) isn't that bright ;) But you won't see much difference anyway ;)

John Cordell said:
Your new title screen is too dark, the colors should match with the original, the planet should be textured as well like in the original, the nebular is in the lower right corner, the sun close to the planet with a lense flare effect, some big white stars etc. compare both i think the old one still rocks :)

The two seem exceedingly similar already. I don't see how any changes to texturing, stars and whatnot would provide any benefit. The only thing that would make sense to change might be overall brightness levels and so on.

Back