Privateer nostalgia...

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
Actually, I want to talk about Privateer 2 for awhile. I just saw it for sale after searching that new Froogle thing. It really got me thinking about that game all day. I really loved the music when you were flying. I can't remember all the tracks, but they really were kind of dark and made you feel like you had no purpose. I thought they did a great job in that game of creating an amnesiac mood.

At first I just wasn't sure if I liked the game because of how foreign it felt relative to your typical Wing Commander universe. But I can truly appreciate now how great a game that was. I liked the Lev Arris character too. And that game had some pretty decent cameos.

And the cutscenes when you were landing on different planets I thought were awesome. I even liked the really obscure moons that didn't have landing cutscenes but they still looked really fantastic once you were on them. I have many of those pictures for my wallpaper.

Probably the biggest downside to Privateer 2 was how easily you could beat it. It was just way too easy. However, most WC games were pretty easy to beat.

The flight engine was really cool I thought. Not the way I would always prefer it, but it was fun. Any thoughts on all this?

Privateer 2 is the only Origin game by Chris Roberts I haven't played yet. Your post is strengthening my resolve to find it and buy it :)

Cool!

I know mine is somewhere in this house. I just gotta find it. Then when I do I have to work at trying to make it work on my flashy new computer.

Dervish said:
Privateer 2 is the only Origin game by Chris Roberts I haven't played yet. Your post is strengthening my resolve to find it and buy it :)

Actually, I don't think it was made by Chris Roberts, in any way. It was made by Erin Roberts (Chris' brother).

Priv2 is fun, although in some ways I found it to be a little to british with the scenes and feel of the game...nonetheless it still was great fun...

Clive Owen is one hell of an actor. I remember one CG magazine reviewer saying that he would've made a better Blair than Mark Hamill.

Even my grandfather would've been a better blair in the movie. And he's dead...

I really like the movies on priv2.
I really hate the fact that there's not subtitling option.
the gameplay was cool, different but good.

--
I really liked the enemy taunts, they were weird and the accent was very funny.

Edfilho said:
I really like the movies on priv2.
I really hate the fact that there's not subtitling option.
the gameplay was cool, different but good.

Yeah, sometimes the accents were pretty heavy, or the audio was too muddy to properly understand some of the conversations. The whole game did seem a bit easy, though, once you learned the AI patterns (not nearly as bad as Armada, but still pretty predictable). I really liked the game, and played it obsesively 'till I beat it, but the whole thing just seemed like more style than substance to me (despite the VERY cool main plotline).

Some of the foreign editions of Privateer 2 have subtitles - if any of you are native Spanish speakers, there's a subbed version out there. :)

rampage3057 said:
Yeah, sometimes the accents were pretty heavy, or the audio was too muddy to properly understand some of the conversations. The whole game did seem a bit easy, though, once you learned the AI patterns (not nearly as bad as Armada, but still pretty predictable). I really liked the game, and played it obsesively 'till I beat it, but the whole thing just seemed like more style than substance to me (despite the VERY cool main plotline).

Wouldn't a VERY cool plotline kind of make it have lots of substance. I thought the main plotline was just really bizarre anyway.

That guy at the end...and Lev Arris steps on his air sac thingy and he's all like, "Leave the light on mommy. Leave the light on." So weird!

One part of P2 I liked was the end credits...all those cool drawings of the developers! And P2 has what I think are some awsome music soundtracks.

Ah, another great thing about p2 is its art direction and prop design. They really did an excellent job. Sometimes the europeans do great stuff when avoiding the mainstream US look... that lame LXG movie had some incredible art direction. And the masterpiece Dogville was just gorgeous.

I just finished...

Bidding on a Privateer 2 and the guy I bought it from is in the UK. The packaging to the game looks different though. I guess once I get this game I'm gonna have to struggle with compatibility issues and all that. P2 looks like a game made for Windows it seems.

Shipgate said:
Bidding on a Privateer 2 and the guy I bought it from is in the UK. The packaging to the game looks different though. I guess once I get this game I'm gonna have to struggle with compatibility issues and all that. P2 looks like a game made for Windows it seems.

Depending on your OS, which I used win95b, I simply told the shortcut to ignore dos mode, and P2 ran just fine with absolutely no problems. It also works real well on a win98se machine, including utilizing a digital joystick, and depending on your sound card configuration and type, the movies play back in full stereo sound, meaning its alot easier to understand the voice parts of the movie soundtracks.

But if you run into trouble getting that to run, head on over to the tech assist area, there are excellent tips and tricks to get it running! :)

Shipgate said:
Wouldn't a VERY cool plotline kind of make it have lots of substance. I thought the main plotline was just really bizarre anyway.

That guy at the end...and Lev Arris steps on his air sac thingy and he's all like, "Leave the light on mommy. Leave the light on." So weird!

I mean, the plotline as a whole was intriguing--the whole concept of not knowing who your are, except that every pirate and mafia clan in the Tri-System are trying to kill you, and the final realization of who you *really* are (sorry, folks, no spoilers here...). It just seemed that sometimes the plot took so *long* to come back around; you could hop from planet to planet 10 times, and you still might not see anything but the random "help" missions. The gameplay was a little repetitive--but LOAF's already addressed that in the other Priv thread. :)

Edfilho said:
I never met the fat bearded guy in priv2.

You mean the guy played by Brian Blessed? I think you have to finish the main plotline before you meet him--on Bex, if I remember correctly.

Back