Privateer is coming back?

U

Unregistered

I just saw this website today. In fact, the only reason why I did a search for Privateer on Google, is because I play Freelancer a lot and find a lot of similarities between the two games...except Freelancer doesn't have you do cargo run missions. So, if it's coming out, I'd like to get it. However, the store I normally shop at doesn't have it listed in their database. So who is making the game?

There are no new Wing Commander games in production at the moment. The Privateer Remake is a fan made creation.

just wanna say thx ;)

Hi Folks,
just wanna thank U 4 this great fan-project. I found this via the vegastrike main page just a couple of days ago and I thought by myself: this couldn't be real - privateer (1) is coming back. :) In my younger days I played the original sometimes 4 several hours a day, I also tried Priv 2 ( but although it uses cooler graphics and a video storyline, it just didn't f e e l as good as the original)

Now U brought back the old feeling 2 me.
Thx and Keep up the Good Work

Mike Galaxy

hellcatv said:
Yay I'm glad it was a success...you have the version currently at the download page or still usin 0.9?

Uups, thx 4 the hint (actually, I'm playing 0.9 but have started DL of the current Pre-Relase 1.0 pre5)

now I'm playing 1.0pre5. Got already the old Privateer feeling.
Thx a lot 4 this great work again. And the vegastrike-engine makes it possible 2 improve the game, I just realized. Fleet option is a good idea (no more waste of money, if U wanna change your ship. In the original U have to sell Your old one, if U want a new one, but Priv Remake solves the problem. And this is only ONE of many advantages :)

Keep up the good Work!

I just now discovered this project after playing the original in Dosbox, then thought that perhaps there's a remake and entered words "privateer remake" in google :)

But damnit, the size... now I'm really depressed about my 56k :-( Guess downloading this Remake will take couple of days - but damnit I'm so excited! Looks very good by the screenshots.

well I hope you find the download to be worth it...I'm sure you will :)
we'll help you if you run into any trouble...
wish we could donate some bandwidth to you--course that's impossible ;-)

The size is somewhat large for those on dialup, but it is still less than the size of the CD version of the original :) We haven't exactly bloated things. I do sympathize though - use a download manager.

Yeah, I'm sure you have tried to make the game installation package as small as possible for download, but did the original CD-version really take more space? Hmmm... I wonder what all stuff was included in that, I see at least the floppy version with speech pack and RF expansion is quite tiny, only 25megs extracted :)

Oh, and as one of us marginal dial-up-users, I hope that future updates for Privateer Remake would be released as smaller "patches" if possible, so that we wouldn't have to download another 180meg privateer1.0pre6.exe etc. again next week...

Oh, and as one of us marginal dial-up-users, I hope that future updates for Privateer Remake would be released as smaller "patches" if possible, so that we wouldn't have to download another 180meg privateer1.0pre6.exe etc. again next week...
For dailup users it would really be the best thing to wait for the final 1.0 release of the Privateer Remake.

John Cordell said:
For dailup users it would really be the best thing to wait for the final 1.0 release of the Privateer Remake.

Well it's easy for you to say if you got your 175mb Remake downloaded like in 5 minutes :) But as a Privateer-fan who just discovered this and looked at the amazing screenshots, I just don't have the patience... Only 8 hours to go and knowing my luck, final 1.0 is released right after I get this downloaded :)

I'd say get it now.... remember: if you wait you may become busy--and the feature set differences are really going to be minor

Acimus said:
Yeah, I'm sure you have tried to make the game installation package as small as possible for download, but did the original CD-version really take more space? Hmmm... I wonder what all stuff was included in that, I see at least the floppy version with speech pack and RF expansion is quite tiny, only 25megs extracted :)
The speech pack added in flight comms. It did not add audio for all the stuff the bartenders say. In the CD version, all speech is audio, and that bumps up the size somewhat ;) I remembered it being a bit larger, but it is in fact 173 MB unzipped, so I can believe the ISO is around 144. At any rate, certainly larger than 25 MB hehe

Back