Privateer II

Antman

Spaceman
Does anyone know why all the characters in Privateer II are British? And why does it only memtion the word "ConFed" int he game only once? Who are these people??? There not on my Wing Commander Prophecy Game Map...

To quote Origin from its tech/faq site--

1. "Privateer 2: The Darkening was developed in the United Kingdom by the Manchester division of Electronic Arts."

2. "Privateer 2: The Darkening takes place in an isolated section of the Wing Commander universe. The Tri-System is not currently a part of the Confederation."

hmm

Well. i would THINK that they would have SOME americans (since i can barely understand the speech of some Brits.). Also, When looking up the ship info (I read EACH one) It said stuff about Confed, n stuff.

Speaking of privateer 2. How good is it? Is it on par with wing commander 4? I saw it in a store recently, but it's priced as if it were a new game, and I thought someone mentioned it plays differently then other wing commanders, so I wasn't sure if it was worth it or not.

Well, it matters on what you like. If you like space sims where the enemy is stupid and nearly commits suicide usually, you cant understand most of the characters speech, the storyline makes no sense, and it is hell easy, Go for it!

It's not a bad story. The cut scenes are done quite nicely. British accents aren't that hard to understand. The AI is indeed a bit on the stupid side. You can't become anything except a merchant to make any real cash. The booth system seems to annoy quite a few people. IMHO it's not as good as P1. But it's not too bad ...

Originally posted by Antman
If you like space sims where the enemy is stupid and nearly commits suicide usually,
Actually, that's not true... the enemy can't commit suicide, even if they crash into each other...:)

you cant understand most of the characters speech, the storyline makes no sense,
Stragne, if you can understand the story of any other WC games, you should have no problems following everything that's going on... even if you do miss some of the dialog.

and it is hell easy, Go for it!
It isn't any easier than the first Privateer though.

Dekkar: For the most part, P2 follows the Monty Python adage of "now for something completely different".

While the graphics will remind you of "Prophecy", the gameplay sometimes has an "arcade" feel since, in contrast to the way combat worked in P1 for example, you'll have little choice but to face and defeat all foes in a given area before you can practically jump into a new area. (Origin claims that a player must be "over 2500 clicks away from all opponents" in order to escape combat, but in my experience that does not always hold true.)

Still, if you're a devoted WC fan, how can you not play P2? Tri-System space is part of the WC universe (and IMHO is worth exploring if only for the fun of trying to figure out if there are any "connections" to the inhabitants of Confederation space).

Be warned though, the game does not like fast (Pentium II/III/IV) machines, and so you may have to use special software or otherwise tweak your hardware in order to run it successfully.

I'm surprised Nemesis mentioned PIVs. I heard they're hard to gat at the moment. Interesting architecture though.

Anyway. I can run P2 just fine on a PII233. But anything a lot faster and you probably will have problems.

What other connections are there in P2 to the "Confed" part of the galaxy besides the Talon?

You don't necissarily need a slowdown utility, P2 does have a built in speed limiter, it just doesn't like many computers and fails to work.

TC

Fighting intensity equivalent to SL? Ive never played SL, so I cant refute that, but my best equivalent would be some of the safer missions in P1, or a nice day at the beach.

Priv 2

I thought Priv2 would have been a great game, if it had taken place in like Sol Sector or near the border worlds. Hell, even better, out by the firekkans(sp?). have a little combat with the birds. but i liked being able to fight confed and the cats in the first priv. just my 2 cents.

I once saw an old ad for a game called "The Darkening." It was supposed to take place on the planet Crius, or at least start there. I believe that "The Darkening" later became "Privateer 2: The Darkening." I would really like to know why that happened.

Uh ... they decided to change the title? Whether the called it "The Darkening" or "Privateer 2: ..." it would still have been the 'sequel' to P1.

No, I was wondering why the title was changed from "The Darkening" to "Privateer 2: The Darkening." The way I see it, if the game was initially entitled "The Darkening," then it was not originally planned to be a sequel to "Privateer."

The original title was "Privateer: The Darkening" -- the game was to be a 'spinoff' of Privateer... a similar concept in a different location. The '2' was added when the direct sequel to the original Privateer was cancelled in 1996 (after Chris Roberts left Origin).

Well since Crius is part of the Tri-System and The Tri-System is in the Wing Commander universe, the title change is inconsequential. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be a sequel. It was never much of a sequel anyway. But just because Origin started of calling it The Darkening, doesn't mean they didn't intend for it to be the next Privateer game. But whatever. I don't know.

Looks like Loaf clicked submit before I did :) So what ever happened to the direct sequel? Was it going to be P3?

[Edited by steampunk on 01-09-2001 at 07:59]

Back