Privateer and the economics of piracy

It also makes no realistic sense to ally with the pirates - since their ships suck and they're vastly outnumbered by everyone you have to piss off to get on their good side in the first place.

Not having to fight your way out of an asteroid-surrounded pirate base on a contraband run would be one good reason. (Never really could get the afterburner/joystick trick to work.)

Yeah, but then you'd have to fight Gladii and Stilettos and Paradigms when you go and try to sell your loot... (G)

Quarto said:
Correct. The game does not include any friendly Retro comms.

Well, technically RF does in the last couple of plot mission, when your at Geia ( however the hell you spell it ).

And as for the allignment issue... I generally managed to talk everyone but the retros friendly. Eventually.

The best situation was to be on friendly terms with the pirates and the merchants/confed/militia. It was easily doable if you never attacked any of them. That made it really easy to watch the fights and tractor in the remains.

Christian? Amish? I know little of the Amish, basically from american pop culture, but they seem very NON-VIOLENT, unlike the Retros. Is there a more specific mention on the story, or is this just from their similarities?

Think it's just the anti-technology (well, not so much anti with the amish as non) and religiousness similarities. I have a feeling that within the game Toth is attributed as having coined the term Retro.

I have a feeling that within the game Toth is attributed as having coined the term Retro.

This feeling that you have may come from the fact that one of the bartenders tells you that Toth coined the term Retro. :)

Bandit LOAF said:
It also makes no realistic sense to ally with the pirates - since their ships suck and they're vastly outnumbered by everyone you have to piss off to get on their good side in the first place.

I didn't see the difference though. Because you're either friendly with militia or pirates and they both fly Talons. Sure the militia also had the Gladius but I didn't think that ship was any tougher than the Talon. I guess one thing I really liked about being allied with the pirates was that I seemed to run into them a lot more than militia. So it was all just so I could auto pilot more before having to always fight ships.

Think it's just the anti-technology (well, not so much anti with the amish as non) and religiousness similarities. I have a feeling that within the game Toth is attributed as having coined the term Retro.
Umm is the EYE ON THE PYRAMID a symbolism that they were once part of ILLUMINATI?

Looking at the semantics of the name, "Church of Man" doesn't really imply any sort of basis on Christianity at all. The real-life Universal Church of Man is founded on the principal of no gods, only man who has reached his current state through ecolution. Calling something "Church of (insert anything other than God)" implies that the group no longer has religious ties to the Christian God or is a cult.

Of course, trying to evaluate the religious doctrines of a group who only appears in a video game and whose only known philosophy is "blow everyone who isn't Church of Man up" is a waste of time. :>

Nomad Terror said:
Looking at the semantics of the name, "Church of Man" doesn't really imply any sort of basis on Christianity at all. The real-life Universal Church of Man is founded on the principal of no gods, only man who has reached his current state through ecolution. Calling something "Church of (insert anything other than God)" implies that the group no longer has religious ties to the Christian God or is a cult.

Of course, trying to evaluate the religious doctrines of a group who only appears in a video game and whose only known philosophy is "blow everyone who isn't Church of Man up" is a waste of time. :>

Well, actually all of the retro coms is either something like "god wants me to kill you" or "god has abandoned me". Thats why we all thing they are evil christian guys.

Well they say things like "God of Man," which can mean anything really. Christian writings tend to mean something other than the Christian God when God of Man is used. Things ranging from man viewing himself as a God to idols man has put before God to the Antichrist.

Retro comms were the best.
And why would anyone want to be friends with them? They killed your friends and your girl!

BTW, the problem with killing militia is that Confed will mark you as enemy too. not a good idea.

I know little of the Amish . . . but they seem very NON-VIOLENT, unlike the Retros. Is there a more specific mention on the story . . .?

The Playtesters’ Guide tells us that the Retros are “a radical offshoot from the Church of Man”, which is a “peaceful religious order” that “seeks to return to” an agrarian existence. Certainly one interpretation of that is that the Church once followed an agrarian creed. That its roots extend back to the Amish is therefore at least a possibility (albeit at the risk of positing a future the Amish would certainly find offensive). In any event, the main Church would probably regard the Amish as an inspiration.

Being in PA I should know for certain, but, IIRC, the Amish do use technology. They are just VERY selective about what they use. They consider the overall impact on their way of life and society before accepting it. They have farming equipment, vehicles, even cell phones and computers. Just not a lot of them. (No BS, I passed a Tahoe on the highway about 2 weeks ago with 2 Amish girls upfront (one driving) - and they have a "farmers market" in our area that they need to both get to, and get from.)

It's the Meninites that are the extreme luddites. (it could be vice versa, that's what I wasn't certain on, but I'm pretty sure I got it right. :D )

. . . the Amish do use technology. They are just VERY selective about what they use. They consider the overall impact on their way of life and society before accepting it.

Interestingly, the Guide further notes that the (mainstream) Church of Man would allow the use of “minimal technology”.

I wonder if space fighters and laser cannons are the reason why the retros are a splinter :)
Hey, what else is there in this guide, is it official?

Back