Privateer 2 patch issue - Game freezes on landing

barisem

Spaceman
Hi all,

I'm having a sporadic issue with the patch for this. Sometimes when I land after a flight the mouse cursor does not move, and I have no way of saving the game & have to shut the game down...

Does anyone have a fix for this? It was also raised 6 months ago on the GOG message boards (sorry can't link as I'm a new user) and was being looked at, but there has been no update since January

Thanks in advance for any help

Hey,

I'm the one working on the project. Sorry I haven't been following the GOG threads on the past few months, things have been busy...

I think I have a fix though! :) With some luck, not only it will prevent these random occurences, it will also avoid breaking the mouse when ALT+TAB'ing away from the game window. This will allow me to finally enable windowed mode.

Let me test it a bit more, i'll try to post something for you to test during the weekend!

Cheers!

Ok here's a new build of the patch! (I'll update my site tomorrow. In the meantime, i'm attaching it to this post).

Let me know if it fixes the issue you're having.

Change list from previous version:

- I tweaked the mouse DirectInput wrapper a bit, so it now re-acquires the mouse if it is lost for some reason. That should fix the sporadic mouse freeze.
- Added a toggle to enable / disable video de-interlacing (in darkfix_setup).
- It's now possible to change the default CD number the game assumes is in the drive when the game starts (in darkfix_setup). The nocd patch will still change the CD automatically if the game needs another CD in order to proceed.
- Added support for windowed mode (configurable in darkfix_setup). It seemed to work fairly well in the tests I made so far, but, think of it as experimental in any case, since a couple more tweaks may still be necessary. (known issue: ALT+TAB'ing away from the game while in a base sometimes caused the background music buffer to fill with static. This came up a couple of times and is being looked into. Workaround: Leaving the base room and re-entering should make the problem go away...)

Attachments

• p2_patch_test3.zip
    463.9 KB · Views: 305
Mario is back in the game , I will test the patch also .I will also update the GOG patches thread I created in the tech support

Well I've been playing all week and not had a single freeze! And, as a bonus, a previous issue I was having with my throttle changing my view has also cleared up! Thanks very much indeed.

Great, very happy to know that it solved it for you :) Thanks for reporting back and giving feedback on this, I really appreciate it!

Wow, I've been visiting this site for ages and I didn't even know HCl had done such a massive work on Privateer 2!

I'll give this one a go asap :)

Do we still require the DARKFIX.exe to have Windows95 compatiblity on? Seems to run smoothly even without the compatibility mode on. (Still have to do some testing on the joysticks, but the latest patch seems to have fixed midi playback on all modes, although it could be because I've updated to the latest CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 1.12.1)

Hi,
I need some help:
I'm running the original 3 cd version on an xp system with your patch. The newest version of the patch gives the error message "The procedure entry point GetTickCount64 could not be located ..." - Seems that this version of the patch won't run on XP systems
An older version of the patch (without the darkfix_setup.exe) runs the game but when I hit alt-o for option screen the game freezes.

Since today I'm having problems with the game crashing at various points, especially when reaching Hades. It always crashes when I try tor each that planet. I am, of course, using this awesome patch, version 3.

I'm getting the attached error message. Any ideas?

System: i7 2600K @ 4,2 Ghz, 16 GB Ram DDR3 1600, GTX 780, Windows 8.1 64bit

EDIT: I solved it by enabling the Win95 compatibility mode. But then the sound stutters in the booth screens and, more seriously, the game freezes when exiting the PAD.

Attachments

• Unbenannt-1.jpg
    Unbenannt-1.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, though I don't think this is the case. Apart from the fact, that some of those suggestions don't apply on my system (Java, Addons), I'm running a pretty fresh (2 month, newest drivers) primestable system and I am able to get rid of those crashes by choosing a compatiblity mode (which, sadly, leads to other problems). IMO this indicates a game specific problem. Nevertheless: Thanks for your concern.

Last edited:
I'm having another problem with the recent patch.

Although the music and sound have been fixed this time (and Coolsoft VirtualMidi is now working as it should), I've been having trouble with the joystick throttle changing views and have one major bug where the game would start to freeze upon trying to exit the PDA.

My current system is now Windows 10 Pro 64bit, on a AMD FX 4350 Quad Core 4.2Ghz with 16GB RAM. I also have an XFX R7870 if it helps.

Ok here's a new build of the patch! (I'll update my site tomorrow. In the meantime, i'm attaching it to this post).

Let me know if it fixes the issue you're having.

Change list from previous version:

- I tweaked the mouse DirectInput wrapper a bit, so it now re-acquires the mouse if it is lost for some reason. That should fix the sporadic mouse freeze.
- Added a toggle to enable / disable video de-interlacing (in darkfix_setup).
- It's now possible to change the default CD number the game assumes is in the drive when the game starts (in darkfix_setup). The nocd patch will still change the CD automatically if the game needs another CD in order to proceed.
- Added support for windowed mode (configurable in darkfix_setup). It seemed to work fairly well in the tests I made so far, but, think of it as experimental in any case, since a couple more tweaks may still be necessary. (known issue: ALT+TAB'ing away from the game while in a base sometimes caused the background music buffer to fill with static. This came up a couple of times and is being looked into. Workaround: Leaving the base room and re-entering should make the problem go away...)

Forgive me for not having a clue here. How do I get the GOG DOSBox launcher to run the DARKFIX.exe? I have copied the files over to the install directory.

Forgive me for not having a clue here. How do I get the GOG DOSBox launcher to run the DARKFIX.exe? I have copied the files over to the install directory.
Edit the shortcut in the right-click Properties menu. Change the target of the link where it says Dark.exe to Darkfix.exe. Keep the rest of the link as is. That should be enough.

Last edited:
Edit the shortcut in the right-click Properties menu. Change the target of the link where it says Dark.exe to Darkfix.exe. Keep the rest of the link as is. That should be enough.

Unfortunately, the shortcut created by the GoG installer has this in the "target":
"F:\GOG Games\Privateer 2 - The Darkening\DOSBOX\DOSBox.exe" -conf "..\dosbox_privateer2.conf" -conf "..\dosbox_privateer2_single.conf" -noconsole -c exit"
Start in:
"F:\GOG Games\Privateer 2 - The Darkening\DOSBOX"

I'm thinking it's a config file in DOSBox that points to launching Dark.exe but I can't seem to find it.

Unfortunately, the shortcut created by the GoG installer has this in the "target":
"F:\GOG Games\Privateer 2 - The Darkening\DOSBOX\DOSBox.exe" -conf "..\dosbox_privateer2.conf" -conf "..\dosbox_privateer2_single.conf" -noconsole -c exit"
Start in:
"F:\GOG Games\Privateer 2 - The Darkening\DOSBOX"

I'm thinking it's a config file in DOSBox that points to launching Dark.exe but I can't seem to find it.

Sorry, I was wrong. What you actually want to do is edit dosbox_privateer2_single.conf in Notepad.

Second to last line says: dark

Change to: darkfix

Save.

Apologies for the confusion, I thought the exe loaded from the shortcut initially.

Last edited:
Back