Privateer 2 crash

U

Unregistered

I've been trying to get Privateer 2 to work and have had no luck. When I run the game in Dosbox 0.72, the game freezes after the introductory video scenes (just before starting the game in Joe's bar). The error happens even after installing the Privateer 2 patch (p2patch.exe). I have also tried running the game in windows with the Privateer 2 Windows patch (priv2windowspatch.zip). The game didn't work in Windows 95 compatability mode but started to work well in Windows 98 compatability mode. Unfortunately, the game still freezes after I purchase a ship and try to move off planet. The freeze also destroyed the boot sector of my hard drive, forcing me to reinstall everything on the computer (ouch!).

My computer is a laptop - a Dell Inpsiron 9100.

P4 3.0 ghz processor
1 gig ram
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 128 megs video memory

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, the game still freezes after I purchase a ship and try to move off planet.

I had the exact same problem, i searched the forums, but nothing mentioned there worked. I tried a lot of things to fix this and finally got it working by reinstalling the game and NOT using midi as sound output. When using plain old Soundblaster Pro/16 for sounds and Music it worked. Try it out.

The freeze also destroyed the boot sector of my hard drive, forcing me to reinstall everything on the computer (ouch!).

Eeeek, not good. P2 did never freeze for me but simply crashed...guess i was lucky ^^

Unfortunately, now my joystick is acting erratically with Privateer 2. I have a Logitech Attack 3. Any suggestions?

Try some different joystick settings in dosbox.conf such as joysticktype=2axis or timed=false

Back