Privateer 1 on Windows ME error

Arcticfox

Spaceman
I recently fished out my floppy disk version of privateer 1, but I am having problems on my Windows ME system getting it to work. I am using an old Windows 98 boot disk to get into DOS mode, but everytime I start privateer, I get an error meessage:
Fatal Error
D002-FFFF

As far as I can tell, I have enough memory. I thought the problem might be with the disks, but the game worked just fine five years ago on my pentium 75.
Origin's troubleshooting had a fix for an error message similar to this saying to take the emm386.exe line out of the config.sys, but when I try this, my computer freezes when I start Privateer.
Any help would be appreciated.

Config.sys

device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
files=40
buffers=40
dos=high,umb
stacks=9,256
rem device=c:\windows\emm386.exe 16384 ram
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF
rem devicehigh=ramdrive.sys /E 2048
lastdrive=e

Autoexec.bat

@ECHO OFF
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1
set temp=c:\
set tmp=c:\

Except for the second emm386 line, these are the default settings for the windows 98 boot disk.

This is what I expected to see. WinME does not support DOS so these line wont work.
This is Microsoft way of getting people off of DOS.

What you need to do is go to a Win9x machine and create a "Startup Disk". This will create a disk with the basic files like emm386 and himem on it. We would then create new autoexec.bat and config.sys files to load these files from the A: drive and not from the C: drive. Your autoexec.bat also doesn't have the DOS drivers for your sound card or mouse.

OK, I have a brand new Windows 98 startup disk.
I am running the game without sound and I manually start the mouse driver, so thats why those lines were not in the original config.sys and autoexec.bat. I just want the game to run before I worry about extras like sound.

Should I just change these lines:

to:
DEVICE=A:\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF
device=A:\himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
?????

Originally posted by Johnl12
If you still have that P75 machine I would suggest using it to play old DOS games.

This is probably the best suggestion to getting the older games to run. ME is simply not built for old DOS games. But if you can get it to work, thats one giant step for mankind and one giant leap out of Mickysofts entrapment with ME.

RFB

Originally posted by Arcticfox
My pentium 75 is long gone. I never really thought it would be useful. I now see how wrong I was :)

The old motto: Just because its old, and it works, doesnt mean it deserves to be thrown away! There will always be some use for the older machines. Playing the older WC games is one of them!

RFB

Try this. I left places where you can add the sound card, mouse, and cd-rom.

-----------Autoexec.bat--------------

IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
ECHO=OFF
SET PATH=A:\;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$P$G

REM --- THE BELOW LINES ARE FOR THE SOUND CARD------------

REM -------THE BELOW LINES FOR THE MOUSE.--------

REM --------THE BELOW LINE IS FOR THE CD-ROM-----------

SET COMSPEC=A:\COMMAND.COM
C:

--------------config.sys-------------

DEVICE=A:\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=A:\EMM386.EXE 16384 D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM

REM --- THE BELOW LINE IS FOR THE CD-ROM ---

REM --- Common ---
DOS=HIGH,UMB
STACKS=18,256
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=35
LASTDRIVE=F

Originally posted by RFBurns
Originally posted by Arcticfox
My pentium 75 is long gone. I never really thought it would be useful. I now see how wrong I was :)

The old motto: Just because its old, and it works, doesnt mean it deserves to be thrown away! There will always be some use for the older machines. Playing the older WC games is one of them!

RFB

This is way I kept my P60 machine.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 05-28-2001 at 15:26]

You should see the ridiculous collection of PCs at home. Most of them are obsolete office equipment, and the fastest is a pathetic PII 300.

Thanks for all your help. With the new boot disk, I now have privateer playing perfectly on my Windows ME machine. I can now play all of my old dos games on this computer too, such as Masters of Orion. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Wedge009
You should see the ridiculous collection of PCs at home. Most of them are obsolete office equipment, and the fastest is a pathetic PII 300.
I finely toss out a IBM 8088 and a IBM PS2 286 - spring cleanning.:)

Back