Possible Phalanx cockpit design

Plasteel Skull

Commodore
So here's my idea on how a Phalanx's cockip might look like. Take a glimpse at:

http://img479.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pioneerphalanxcockpit10248kr.jpg

Already found one bug? The throttle control rudder is missing - but its a minor detail and I'm sure, that if a concept will be accepted Howard will cope with it easily.When drawing this cockip I came to some miscellaneous ideas: logo for a ship, even a pushy and simple slogan - both can be visible on some billboards on bases - you know, marketing ;). Otherwise there were some ideas on a slight change in phalanx's design (i will draw and post it - and see what you, and mostly Howard have to say about this change) - just a cosmetic change but in some way it could justify the name of the craft... Also came to an idea of craft from the same shipyard/company/factory -- its name's Testudo (a logical codename continuation), and as Phalanx is a medium fighter (i guess) Testudo would be heavy attack ship. Don't want it to be a new player ship, though, at least not in first release. Just thought that I might draw a concept art of it, show you, propose its stats and see what you will have to tell about it, that's all.

I also have Hydra cocpit on my mind. But it will take mi some time to draw it, because now I have some very important business to do. But I will get to it rather soon. For now I wait for your opinions...

Okay - looks good... The only main comment that I've got is that the major cockpit struts don't seem to match up to the exterior struts. The other stuff all looks good - I like the general layout, and I also like the damage/shield display. (minor concern, there needs to be a front/rear shield, and four armor displays). Anyhow, I'd like to see any concept art you come up with - but any of it that gets accepted would be put in later. And this ship is strictly BradMick's design, so any changes to it will need to at least go by him before they're implemented.
As for the logo, we've already got something like that planned, at least for the camel. It's got a logo branded on the seats that corresponds to the manufacturer of the ship. It'd be better to do that than the name of the ship itself.
Other than that, Good work!

Howard Day said:
Okay - looks good... The only main comment that I've got is that the major cockpit struts don't seem to match up to the exterior struts.

Now i see you are right, well, i can draw only how i see struts and You can then add it to the rest of a cockpit model.

Howard Day said:
(minor concern, there needs to be a front/rear shield, and four armor displays).

So there are no side shields? Well, ok. The armor is there - as an assailant would pierce shields and start damaging hull a quarter of a sip icon woul begin to change color (that is how i imagined it, but well I can do bars for armor.

Howard Day said:
As for the logo, we've already got something like that planned, at least for the camel. It's got a logo branded on the seats that corresponds to the manufacturer of the ship. It'd be better to do that than the name of the ship itself.

ok.

P.S.: Howard, what do you think about my idea with ship boarding during stay on bases? Of course ship such as Phalanx are rather "unboardable" - there's only small cargo space there. But Hydra or Camel are totally different story... Let me know, in case I can always help with interior design concept arts :)

Ah, yes. That is eventually planned to happen - but it's going to wait till we get the bases and interiors there. We're gonna hit that all in one go.
Also, since we're actually modelling all these different sorts of cargo, you'll see exactly wh you've got in your hold at any given moment when you look in there. But again, this probably won't be in the first playable demo, and depends entirely on how versitile our engine ends up being. I think it's perfectly possible, but at this point I can't gaurntee anything.

Plasteel Skull said:
So there are no side shields? Well, ok. The armor is there - as an assailant would pierce shields and start damaging hull a quarter of a sip icon woul begin to change color (that is how i imagined it, but well I can do bars for armor.

So like in Privateer, a damaged quadrant would turn yellow for armor damage and then red for armor gone/nearly gone?

P.S.: I like the little koala ornament dangling from the eject light.

Ijuin said:
So like in Privateer, a damaged quadrant would turn yellow for armor damage and then red for armor gone/nearly gone?

Precisely.

Ijuin said:
P.S.: I like the little koala ornament dangling from the eject light.

I wondered who would spot it first :). Of koz it's just for fun. Although I had an ideat, that there could be one station in the whole game, where they would be selling Phalanxes with such teddy attached - just an easter egg. Teddy would dangle from side to side while turning a ship, acceleratin and decelerating. However I realize that ToDo list is too long for such insignificant details to be implemented...

I was thinking a wide range of such things - it's already planned. Everything from little "jiggle hips" hula girls to fuzzy dice. It's something you choose at the begining of the game.
Plasteel - I've already started on the Phalanx - looks pretty good so far - I'm smack in the middle of the modelling stage right now.

Howard Day said:
I was thinking a wide range of such things - it's already planned. Everything from little "jiggle hips" hula girls to fuzzy dice. It's something you choose at the begining of the game.

That's really cool. I didn't want to bother you with such a pettiness just tried to leave a slight hint - a teddy.

Howard Day said:
Plasteel - I've already started on the Phalanx - looks pretty good so far - I'm smack in the middle of the modelling stage right now.

You are too fast, Howard ;) - I will not manage to draw Hydra and there will be Phalanx ready! One question: "do you want me to draw the struts from new (I can redraw my picture) or you will manage it by yourself?".

I have some hints for you according to Phalanx cockpit - As I mentioned, that you are a master of shades, light and the effects, that light sources (with different colours) produce I believe, it will come easy to you - when imagining the phalanx cockpit, I thought that it could be a mesh of deep blue, strong green and violet lights - all those diodes, indicators and such. So even those yellow-black stripes on different parts in cockpit would look rather yellow-cyan mix. It would be good to avoid red or use it sparsely for example to set off some important information element of the cockpit like a radar (a red issue) or eject light on the top strut. This colour set is according to me the best - and as a whole i imagine this cocpit to be otherwise dim-lit. What do you think?

Howard Day said:
You could also do little metal dice, a la the Millenium Falcon. I might also suggest a Vargas style pinup, or something of the sort.

Being able to tour your ship sounds great !

For a "dash" orniment , how about a Kilrathi clawing a scracthing post .
I don't know if they were well enough known in this era to have
degrading trinkets of them yet .
(saw a similar one of a buck rubbing his antlers on a tree )

You should be able to collect ornaments for your ship and dashboard over the course of the game, and swap old ones for new ones as you loot cargo. Kind of like how you collected things in X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter. :)

Back