Pope talks about extraterrestrial life

Quarto said:
If you think angels were aliens, you've been reading too much Daniken :p

Well, he did say "or at least sentient non-humans". That's why i thought of the nephilim, which IIRC were demon halfbreed.

Not all aliens are little green men or burst from your chest however awesome the idea may be. It's good to see people can still debate this topic reasonably without somebody shouting "Inquisition!, Heretic!, Godboy!" etc as an answer.

No one knows about the Nephilim.

Angels are purely spiritual in nature, and not part of the physical universe.

About the aliens, I really wonder. Maybe they are completely different lifeforms. Not carbon-based, no DNA, no recognizable concept of philosophy, good, bad, religion, beauty or anything that we can comprehend. Not just physically different, but on the cultural level as well. The gap should be greater there. Human groups are the same physically but have great cultural differences.

This topic does bring up an interesting notion in my mind.

How is the best way we can represent ourselves in the best aspects throughout this universe?

TheFraix said:
This topic does bring up an interesting notion in my mind.

How is the best way we can represent ourselves in the best aspects throughout this universe?

Whatever that way may be, it's not happening and it won't be any time in our lives. The current way we're primarily being represented is our television transmissions floating out into space. That's a great way.

Delance said:
Angels are purely spiritual in nature, and not part of the physical universe.

p61a.jpg

Originally Posted by Delance
About the aliens, I really wonder. Maybe they are completely different lifeforms. Not carbon-based, no DNA, no recognizable concept of philosophy, good, bad, religion, beauty or anything that we can comprehend. Not just physically different, but on the cultural level as well. The gap should be greater there. Human groups are the same physically but have great cultural differences.
Have you read the novel Ender's Game?

Aplha 1-1 said:
Not all aliens are little green men or burst from your chest however awesome the idea may be. It's good to see people can still debate this topic reasonably without somebody shouting "Inquisition!, Heretic!, Godboy!" etc as an answer.
Inquisition!, Heretic!, Godboy! etc.

Seriously now, I think it's impossible to imagine what aliens look like, as everything that we may think up as looking "Alien" will still be based on something on this planet. I think that we'll just have to wait and see to find out what aliens look like. Anyone for replacing the blood will a cool saline solution?

Back