Pluto Has Three Moons, Hubble Images Show

They should keep using greco-roman mythology names.

The more people study the cosmos, the less they know about it.

How do they choose the names anyway from the list of all the mythological names??

Spongebob and Patrick...~~~!!
Now that is funny.

We should have a petition of name those moons Spongebob and Patrick
:p

Names for planets are decided upon by the International Astronomical Union.

Hmm would you listen to bunch of old crusty Ph.D guys sitting around the table thinking of a name for a moon, when the people of the world could think of a better one.

Nothing a little bribe couldn't take care of. After all...you can name a star for like $5

Where can I do that??

Dahan said:
Hmm would you listen to bunch of old crusty Ph.D guys sitting around the table thinking of a name for a moon, when the people of the world could think of a better one.
Based on the names suggested by the "people of the world" in this thread...? Yes, a thousand times, yes. Go old crusty Ph.D guys! :p

Dahan said:
Maj.Striker said:
Nothing a little bribe couldn't take care of. After all...you can name a star for like $5
Where can I do that??

There's any number of "name a star" organizations out there, findable via even the briefest of Google searches.

However, they're not even worth the electrons one needs to burn to sign up. The naming they sell has zero effect on the actual names given to the stars in question.

Danan said:

If they can, it's certainly not evident from any of the suggestions posted in this thread.

Maj.Striker said:
I just want to name one, "Death"...that way you can honestly say that somewhere up there is the Death Star...

Given that Pluto is the Roman god of the underworld, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the moons actually did get named for some incarnation of Death.

Back