Please contact Michelle

charlieg said:
I think crouton should do the admin, Brad LOAF oversee the general universe content, and spirit continue to work away in her usual excellent fashion. Then we'll all be happy. Oh, and if Michelle wants to do some WC related art of even help out, I'm sure a task or two can be thought up!

that's how it is going on from now on... so people jsut calm down. Everything has been settled already.

If bandit LOAF wants to be project lead then he needs to learn T-A-C-T.

Since sprit is doing ALL the work at this point, I think she can appoint whoever she wants to do PR. Everybody else, including myself, is irrelevant.

kilolima said:
If bandit LOAF wants to be project lead then he needs to learn T-A-C-T.

Since sprit is doing ALL the work at this point, I think she can appoint whoever she wants to do PR. Everybody else, including myself, is irrelevant.

hmmm PR is another project which was actually finished. Also here is another stuff - Spirit doesn't want to lead the project, doesn't want to coordinate it, that's now LOAF's job, but she does want to develope it and create the things. That's how it is right now.

I've put up a rough-and-ready project page:http://gtpkt.org/~crouton/wcuprogress.html

It ain't as pretty as I wanted it, but it should help get the point across. This may be slightly out of date (timestamp nonwithstanding) because spiritplumber may have updated her Excel sheet since I grabbed it. I'm going to think about ver2.0 of this page today and work on it tonight. It seems to me (criticalmass, you can PM/email me if you have better ideas) that we need to focus on three things: getting folks back on board and assigned to tasks, working out a 'release schedule', and frequent updates.

1) This will start with a general signup page - your callsign, email/IM, and what you can help with. Everyone has something to contribute (e.g., I would love to see some dedicated playtesters) and it just takes some finesse in working together.

2) We should aim for releasing a new release-quality WCU.zip file every X months. (We'll have lots of development releases.) In that timeperiod, we have Y number of things to get accomplished. Having a goal to work towards is a great encouragement. Assigning specific components to interested individuals and keeping track of progress will be a huge help.

3) The project status page is a rough way to provide updates. Perhaps a once-a-week posting to the forums stating what got accomplished, and what still needs to be worked on.

Please let me know your comments on this.

That's a very good approach - get people committed, get the work organized, and provide as much information as possible in a structured way.
I'm sure you also have thought about getting someone for PR/marketing tasks aboard, and also somebody who does legal screening (copyrighted material, andherence to GNU, etc.).

Although it may seem like killing the romance of creating games, I really like that idea of sitting down and getting the "business" side organized, so that the creative people can get on their tracks and work together in a well-coordinated environment. Nothing kills stuff like this faster than misunderstandings.

As long as you keep the "business" side very well away from me, organize to your heart's content! :p

Fot the record: I'm perfectly happy to work with the current model (I'm half decent at coding so I code, and I take whatever wonderful art people feel like creating and integrate it in best I can).

Oh well, meet the new boss, not quite the same as the old boss for once :)

What I originally wanted to do was basically option 3 in the poll, I find it funny that LOAF won also because I voted for him as a courtesy and he didn't return the favor. I was misinformed on an American tradition I guess...

criticalmass said:
That's a very good approach - get people committed, get the work organized, and provide as much information as possible in a structured way.
I'm sure you also have thought about getting someone for PR/marketing tasks aboard, and also somebody who does legal screening (copyrighted material, andherence to GNU, etc.).

PR/marketing seems to be pretty low key at the moment, but if you have any suggestions along those lines please share. The legal screening is a bit touchy. We don't have Origin/EA's blessing, but they haven't shut down the project either. And I haven't dug deep enough to see what kind of license VegaStrike has, or what WCU might have (if at all.)

Although it may seem like killing the romance of creating games, I really like that idea of sitting down and getting the "business" side organized, so that the creative people can get on their tracks and work together in a well-coordinated environment. Nothing kills stuff like this faster than misunderstandings.

Agreed. The old maxim 'If you fail to plan, your plans will fail.' seems apt.

crouton said:
I've put up a rough-and-ready project page:http://gtpkt.org/~crouton/wcuprogress.html

It's a little too generic for my liking. I'd rather see a set of goals set against milestones for the project (version 0.6, 0.7 etc) and then the status of those.

Since Penta2 likes organising things fairly strictly, perhaps he could start collating this kind of information so we can have some form of plan for the next release and subsequent stages of development.

There's no milestones at all at the moment. So they would have to be created, which is what I'm ruminating on right now.

Rome wasn't built in a day. :)

I have just a couple of cents to add to this last little bit.

- Maybe break apart the list into sections? It is not so easy to tell what is a programming task, and what is an art task. It will be more obvious to those more familiar with the project, but a new person wandering around may have no idea.

-Are you planning on putting up a list of at least the section leads on the status page? This allows for a person who might be interested in helping out with the project to know who they should contact for more specific information.

-I am not so sure it is a good idea to commit to churning out a release in a set amount of time unless these are -only- internal commitments. You are right, setting goals are a -great- way to encourage progress, but think about all of the bad things that have been said about all the games that slip their release dates. This may not be a big deal, I dunno.

-Not only is Public Relations -not- low key at the moment, but it is probably your largest area that needs attention and soon, the only other area more important is the actual getting of work done. Why? How are people going to know the project needs people unless you tell them, and how else are you going to tell them?

Personally, and again, this is just my two cents, I would approach LOAF about heading up this section. Regardless of what people may think of his people skills in dealing with the rest of the team, he has a proven track record of working well with the public. In addition, he has access to a far greater amount of resources for such things than most mortals.

Along with that, you might give some thought to moving all of the developer-type discussions to the boards on the sourceforge site, and keep this one for the 'public' boards?

Anyway, just a thought. Or several.

Crouton- I have some other opinions about who I would approach for other things and why, but not sure if that is a public discussion item or not, so if you are curious, lemmie know (I spend more time on the other board, so PM me there?). Also, like Critcalmass, my real life job is a project manager. I have only been doing it a few years, so have a lot yet to learn, but I am more than willing to share what I know.

-thehawk

charlieg said:
It's a little too generic for my liking. I'd rather see a set of goals set against milestones for the project (version 0.6, 0.7 etc) and then the status of those.

Since Penta2 likes organising things fairly strictly, perhaps he could start collating this kind of information so we can have some form of plan for the next release and subsequent stages of development.

I had come to believe I was rejected out of hand. <shrug>

my take on who organizes stuff is "i have no idea, just not me because i'm as disorganized as they get".... i'm just trying to do my bit here...

Exactly, Forlarren. Especially when some of us, like me, can't even access IRC, even through Java.

(School blocked IRC's ports...)

spiritplumber said:
my take on who organizes stuff is "i have no idea, just not me because i'm as disorganized as they get".... i'm just trying to do my bit here...

Spirit stop playing fouble game, i though we descussed everything on IRC and i though taht you will post here is the information. But you are standing aside and pickng the side when it suits you, WTF? Stop that plz, here is what i came to in past 2 days since the metter happened. You got the answer, you avoid the answer at all costs. You are backstabbing LOAF for what he didn't do... you aren't going to stop that flame war, although i asked you multiple times.

I think you should tke off your mask Spirit and finally decide on the things. Whos idea was a poll? it was yours Spirit. I invited you to IRC so we can discuss the stuff as an adult people... if you just do not listen to what people say or just do not want to think about what they are trying to say, than keep your word anyway. You set the poll, poll showed the results. It was ONLY your idea. So have the honor and willpower to final say the results and what was discussed and decided.

@Forlarrer: noone will ban you, stop that stupid argument against LOAF and the admins. If you behave in a good way, do not play a jackass like dan did, do not insult people and swearing? than noone will ever ban you. But if you violated the forum rulez than you get banned. So, stop saying that, you only fortify my disappointment and others visitors as well.

P.S. i could never think that such childish things can happen here on CZ :(

Well if anyone would post the IRC logs. Or at the very least inform us that were not privy of the important points I would have no argument. As it is, how am I to know what goes on behind my back (and others)? You keep saying everything was delt with on IRC. What was? What the heck is going on here?

is it up to me to say that? that's completely up to Spirit to tell people what we talked about, caue that's her private issue and she was and is the project developer.

I understand why Spirit acts the way she dose. She has bipolar disorder. And her actions are consistant (inconsistant as the case may be) with that disorder. If you really think that you are going to get a strait answer from her you are sorely mistaken. I have a lot of experence with this sort of thing.

What I do not understand is this secret IRC discussion that took place. I dont even need the entire thing. A couple of bullet points would be helpful. I wouldn't doubt that Spirit dosn't even remember the majority of the discussions details.

@Spirit: If your reading this, you know I love you, but you are one crazy girl. If the IRC discussion was not private can we have permission to post it?

Back