Playing WCP with an XBOX 360 gamepad

mrxny2999

Spaceman
Does anyone have the control layout for what the button combos actually do?

All I can get is Guns/Missilles on the 360 controller.

Having to reach to the keyboard for decoys/autopilot/thrust sucks.

The Wing Commander games don't directly support changing the controller setup, but you can use an application such as Xpadder, Pinnacle Game Profiler, or JoyToKey / Joystick 2 Mouse to assign the various keyboard commands to the buttons of your choosing.

The problem is that all the WC games automatically assign Button 1 and Button 2 to two of the face buttons. The above applications only let you map keyboard keys and mouse buttons to your controller, they don't let you remap controller buttons to other controller buttons. It's particularly bad for Prophecy, which will also assign Look Forward / Look Left / Look Right / Look Backwards to four more buttons, leaving you with 6 buttons you can't reassign. Xpadder et al. help a little, but it'd be pretty hard to make a really comfortable config, especially if you use both sticks.

Some controller manufacturers make available programs that do allow remapping their controller buttons natively. I guess the 360 controller doesn't have anything like that. Unfortunately, the only advice I can think of is to buy a controller that does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back