PiArmada .05RC now available for download

Combat works fine on my machine, so far as I've tested it. The only bug I've found is the one I've mentioned, and I've now fixed it. Combat as a general rule works fine in the version you should have. What're your system specs? What EXACTLY happens when you have this problem: what steps are taken what ships are involved, and what exactly do you mean by crash? Anybody else having this kind of trouble?

Edit: Oh, wait. Are you just saying you don't get a flight simulator, and it takes you back to the sector map? Well, yeah. That's not implemented yet. Read the thread, or the readme, or, like, anything. ;)

No Combat

I get no combat at all. What happens is I start making plants with Mines and Ship Building, I undock the Fighters from the Carrier (your last comment) and go find enemy ships. The first time I must have gotten your bug on not undocking fighters and as soon as there should have been a combat game closed (crash) and I ended back at the Desktop.

Now I when through same process except undocked all fighter and when both get to the same plant and combat would normally begin one of the enemies just goes away and map continues, almost like it skips the battle and one side won??? I can not seem to make the game move from the Map to Combat in any way. I am currently running the Vega Engine in Privateer Remake just fine.

Machine Parameters:
Dell 4550 Pentium 2.5Mhz
1Mb RAM
Video = ATI 9800pro
Audio = Santa Cruz
Joystick = Logitech Freedom

Appreciate your help, would really like to see your project work being nobody has figured out how to make Armada work in XP with Joystick.

Hehe. Okay, let's try this again. There is NO flight engine. At all. When combat occurs, the outcome is determined by an algorithm, based on what ships are present. You can look at the summary screen to see details of what happened in a battle. One of the two fleets vanishing after combat is exactly what's supposed to happen. Oh, and I think you have an M in your system stats where you need a G. There's no way you have a 2.5 megahertz processor and 1 megabyte of RAM. :)

I've found and eliminated another bug, BTW. Destroying a Kilrathi mine in any way in .06 would crash the game. Also, different colored system icons are now also implemented, and the resolution switching interface is complete. My current to-do list before next release includes depressable buttons, a collapsable minimap, keyboard shortcut keys, the framework for network and AI play, and a defined format for exporting combat to the Vega Strike engine. Still looking for a few new graphics, if anyone wants to contribute these:

Transport icon
Planet portraits
ALL button
up/down/left/right arrows
Anything Kilrathi-specific
A depressed version of the button image, or a new matched pair

Thanks. :)

No Combat

Gee, that just might account for the lack of combat! :) So, now the obvious question, are you going to include a Flight Engine? When?

PS: Yes it is certainly a 2.5Ghz Intel Pentium processor, sorry I was in a hurry to get out the door! :rolleyes:

Details, Details, Details

Understood, just didn't pick that up in the scan of your material on WCNews the first time. Good luck on your project.

Behold, .07 is released, with nifty things! Biggest thing of note, al simple AI is now functional. It probably doesn't stand a chance against any human player at all, but it's at least an actual game now! Other features include zooming on the sector map, resolution switching, collapsable minimap, highlighting buttons, and keyboard hotkeys. The summary screen now pops up if something interesting happens between turns, and both bugs found since the last version have been fixed.

Other news of interest, hellcatv and I are making great strides towards integrating Vega Strike into PiArmada. The released executable doesn't do it, but the code is there to generate a mission file for Vega Strike, and then initiate the engine with that mission. Of course, since only a couple of the ships from Armada exist in Vega Strike, it usually turns out pretty boring, but it DOES work. Right now, hellcatv is working on converting the rest of the ships. After that, I'll implement reading the results of combat back into the strategic engine. Then we'll create an Armada-specific distro of Vega Strike amd a unified installer.

The next thing I intend to do is create an encasing menu system for the game, so that you don't get dropped straight into the game, and then kicked right out when it ends. Right now, thought, I'm taking a break from the coding bits for a moment and looking for music. I'm digging through the OC Remix archives. Good stuff, redistributable, though I'll of course ask the author's permission for anything I like. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions from there or elsewhere, please let me know.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/piarmada/

I'd like to publicly apologize to Sigma Nunki. He's apparently been posting bugs to Sourceforge for the last few weeks, and I simply didn't notice. I assumed the system would tell me when someone did that, and was obviously mistaken. The eternally capitalized extensions on fortress portraits in CVS should be fixed now. Also, anti-aliased lines apparently don't work in FreeBSD's version of Pygame, so I've replaced them with simple lines for now. It's a bit less attractive, for sure, but I'm more interested in compatability for the moment. This SEEMS to be a bug in Pygame itself, so hopefully it'll be fixed in the mythical version 1.7. :)

Again, my apologies to Sigma Nunki, and my thanks for his work and prodding in fixing these two bugs.

ZOmegaZ, are you the only one working on this project? I've been programming for a long time now, and wouldnt mind contributing if you'd like another programmer. Though I've never used python I'm sure it'd be easy for me. With regards to 3d battling, vegastrike would be a great choice seeing as its built for a flight sim to begin with. There are other good engines out there but a whole flight system would need to be implemented around the engine. Personally I've worked a bit with OGRE and a lot with Irrlicht. My site is http://www.dracsoft.com/.

Feel free to check it out. Email or IM me if you want.

Back