Phase Shields?

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay then what type of weapons do kilrathi dreadnoughts have anyway
(please don't let it be just lots of laser turrets)

The Exeter apparently is only armed with four laser cannons...which seems rather stupid...

you're right

If this was meant to be like present day fleet actions, laser cannons the like would be used to blast fighters and other heavier slower cannons for ship to ship fighting (i really liked the vesuvius vs Mt st helens battle , both cap ships twisting and turning like crap, i was trying to skin the vesuvius when it suddenly turned and rammed me)

Originally posted by dacis2
Okay then, what type of weapons do Kilrathi dreadnoughts have anyway? (Please don't let it be just lots of laser turrets)
Why not? A similar (though irrelevant) comparison might be a Super Star Destroyer. AFAIK, it's nothing more than a giant version of an Imperial Star Destroyer, with proportionally more turbolasers, TIEs, stormtroopers, etc. Nothing special like a superweapon or anything (I think the Death Star already took that role). Nothing more than maybe psychological impact.

The Exeter is listed as having four laser cannons in the CIC's ship database. In Claw Marks, it says the ship's armament is classified.

Delayed reply... (net access limited these days)

Seven dual lasers? Where did you get that from? That would give the Exeter heavier armament than every capship in WC1 except the Tiger's Claw. Four sounds more reasonable to me (relative to other capships), and I think that's an in-game stat, although in-game capship armaments are hardly realistic.

Hmm, come to think of it, there are seven dual lasers on the Exeter picture in Claw Marks. Lemme see...
Venture - 2 dual lasers (excluding the forward guns)
Drayman - 5 dual lasers (more than a corvette?)
Exeter - 7 dual lasers
Bengal - 21 dual lasers (wow, strike carrier indeed)
Dorkir - 5 dual lasers
Ralari - 4 dual lasers (excluding the (ridiculously long) forward guns)
Fralthi - 11 dual lasers

That actually seems more realistic than the in-game stats... I think I'll stick this in my database.

to me, privateer is set in a parellel universe with similarities to the original wing commander series, for example the weapons technology and the great war, but if they were both in the same universe then i would say the large blank space between WC2 and WC3

Privateer is set in early 2669, around the same time as Armada and a few months before Wing Commander III. It's set in the Gemini Sector, which is 'north' of Sol on the galactic map.

So does that mean that Righteous Fire, set "one year after" Privateer, occurs AFTER WC3?

You'd think things would be calmer if the war is over .. sure doesn't seem that way!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Read.

If you had bothered to look at the link I posted, you would've seen that Privateer and Righteous Fire both take place in 2669. As LOAF said, Privateer is early in the year and Righteous Fire obviously takes place later in the year.

Originally posted by junior
So then...
Every cap ship from WC2 on (including the Corvette - I double-checked it) has phase shields. As the Corvette demonstrates, it IS possible to punch through phase shields with fighter cannons. This probably means that phase shields are a more efficient form of shielding than what cap ships had in WC1, but that Corvettes don't have enough power to regenerate them fast enough to counteract the guns on the Epee.
In WC3 and 4, the guns are uprated faster than cap ship shielding is, so the thickness of the shields once again becomes important.
In WCP, shielding has again outpaced weapons development, and both the Confed and the Nephilim (who have *amazingly* similar shield stats and set-ups despite the fact that the latter is a completely alien race :p ), and destroying the shield emitters becomes an important part of sinking a cap ship.
When (if?) we see WC6, I'm curious as to how the shield/weapon interactions will work.

I remember reading Action Stations about how battleships were designed to carry powerful enough weaponry to penetrate phase shielding. I am pretty certain a single fighter, even in Prophecy's time, could equate the power of a battleship. The above theory would be a good explanation had it not been for the literature. My explanation would be that programmers did what they did with the shields from a gameplay standpoint; ships were too easy to kill in WC1, so make it harder in WC2. WC3's capships had a substantial amount of anti-fighter weaponry, so maybe having ships only be destroyed by torpedo would have been too challenging for some.

Originally posted by Wulf

I remember reading Action Stations about how battleships were designed to carry powerful enough weaponry to penetrate phase shielding. I am pretty certain a single fighter, even in Prophecy's time, could equate the power of a battleship. The above theory would be a good explanation had it not been for the literature. My explanation would be that programmers did what they did with the shields from a gameplay standpoint; ships were too easy to kill in WC1, so make it harder in WC2. WC3's capships had a substantial amount of anti-fighter weaponry, so maybe having ships only be destroyed by torpedo would have been too challenging for some.

Sure, fighters can have the firepower of a battleship. The question is how old is the battleship, and how new is the fighter?
;)

Seriously, though, there is probably going to be a perpetual race between firepower and shielding. On the one hand, you've got the constantly evolving shield technology that allows ships to survive constant barrages from various weapons. During WC2, its at one of its peak moments, and in WC3 and 4, shielding falls behind in the race.
On the other hand, you have your weapons, which researchers are constantly attempting to make as potent as possible. The itty-bitty laser (little guy gun since WC1) is at the bottom range of the scale, while the plasma gun on the Devestator (which is the only fighter mounted weapon in WCP that can punch through shields) is at the other. During WCP, shielding has once again taken the lead over weapons, although the existance of the plasma gun hints that weapons may be once again surging to the front.

Remember that the combat ships from WC2 on tend to carry anti-matter guns, and in WC2, those were capable of killing a fighter with a single hit. A starship will always be able to mount heavier weapons than a fighter for two reasons. The first is space. A ship can have bigger hardpoints than a fighter can. Its like comparing the 20mm cannon on most US modern fighters with the 16in guns on an Iowa class battleship. The second is power draw. Since WC guns normally use energy, the amount of energy available to power the gun is going to be an issue. Bigger ships have bigger powerplants, meaning that bigger energy blasts can be unleashed.

Re: Read.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
If you had bothered to look at the link I posted, you would've seen that Privateer and Righteous Fire both take place in 2669. As LOAF said, Privateer is early in the year and Righteous Fire obviously takes place later in the year.

Does your link take precedence over the Righteous Fire opening Trailer, which distinctly says "Jolsen Pleasure Base, one year later" -- presumably one year after the toasting of the Drone?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

You're right. Game content does take precedence over information provided by the CIC. However, the CIC is almost always correct and, if they show information that is contrary to that in the games, they usually have a good reason for it.

In any case, you can't expect things to be that calm in the Gemini Sector, even if the war is over. False Colors (which took place after the war was over) shows us that there's still quite a bit of tension and conflict with the Kilrathi along the border. The Gemini Sector just happens to border Kilrathi territory. Therefore, even if Righteous Fire does take place after the war, things aren't going to be very peaceful.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Rightous Fire takes place during the war.

Perhaps .. but if so it would still have occurred after the bombing of Kilrah, right?

Consider: Privateer happens in 2669 (according to it's intro movie). Lets say 2669.001 .

If we take the Righteous Fire intro movie literally, which sets the scene as "Jolson Pleasure Base, 1 year later", RF could occur no earlier than 2670.001.

Since V-K day is 2669.267, it has to have been at least three months since the bombing of Kilrah.

Does anybody know the exact day that the Kilrathi War was officially terminated?

Possible alternate explanation : The war is over but the Kilrathi villain in RF is a renegade warlord who has not surrendered, much like the Sivarists in WCP .

Another alternate explanation: Retcon Privateer so that it actually occurred in 2668, not 2669. This would allow all the times to
match up.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back