Peter Telep, and Pilgrim's Truth, and researching the legal issues.

Lets not put the cart before the horse - if he's willing to just sell us Pilgrim Truth as e-text for a lump sum then lets take that and be really darned happy.

Well I've sent him another E-mail with the information from the recent posts in this thread. Hopefully he'll choose which direction he wants us to take this. Though I get the impression he wants us to take some initiative to begin with, to show that we are sincere about helping him out.

Would it work to start taking pledges right now starting at total of $500 right now, to show him we are sincere about getting it?

With some kind of gauge showing how much has been earned so far, that he can watch?

If he feels as if the amount needs to be upped beyond $500, and then gives us the amount he needs, then the gauge can be updated, and let the fans know that Mr. Telep finally has chosen the route he wants to take, and finally agreed upon the amount that he needs.

Ehh, lets wait to see what he says - I don't really want to be in the moral/ethical/confusing position of having $500 of other peoples money in some situation where Mr. Telep decides he doesn't want to or can't make the trade.

Well if we took the pledge route that KrisV mentioned you need not take the money from the pledge givers until after Mr. Telep confirms what he wants to do.

If per chance Mr. Telep decided he didn't want to follow through, then there would be no moral/ethical/confusing issues as the collector would not have the money yet, and CIC would just have to let pledge givers know that they wouldn't have to send in their money.

If at the point he decided to follow through with it, then the CIC could tell the pledge makers to send in the money that they said they would pledge.

New news, bad news...

"So basically if we fans collected the $500 for you, and then you used it to set up the publication of your book through xlibris, would that be a reasonable plan for you?

Yeah, but again, I'm still worried about HarperCollins coming back to sue. No one's given me a definitive answer on that one! Thanks, pt

Peter Telep
Department of English
University of Central Florida
Office: 407-823-3682"​

While he seems to think that $500 would be fine to set Xlibris, he's still worried about Harpercollins...
so someone really needs to get ahold of them and see if we can get them out of the equation.

If we find out that Harper Collins is willing to let him publish it through Xlibris, or sell the text to the CIC, then he will be willing to commit to releasing the book in some format.

A friend of mine pointed this out to me;

There's probaly some clause that says if a book is cancelled that's the same as a broken contract. Well even if they can sue they can only sue EA. EA is the one that meets this stuff out.​

Though I don't know if he's right or not with this particular case.

Harpercollins phone number

I was given a phone number after contacting Harpercollins through another number, that might be useful for finding the legal issues with Harper Collins contracts;

Harpercollins Publications
Richard Carielllo, contract division
(212) 207-7091​

So is anyone willing to call him? I'll probably try later, but it might be helpful for someone with a law background to do it.

If I do call and they send me to another phone number, I'll update with the number.

In the meantime I asked if Mr. Telep, if he had a copy of his contract to see if we could find any loopholes in it, here is his reply;

I'll see if I can find the old contract and give it a read when I get a chance. Thanks!! pt​

If he's not interested in physically publishing it because he feels it's a legal danger, that's okay - the best thing to do would be to get it in whatever means possible and figure out cooler ways of releasing it later if possible.

I'll gladly call Richard Carielllo but Id like for us to gather more facts before jumping into the shark tank.

What we are looking at is he isn't willing to sell or publish the file in any format unless he gets permission from both Harpercollins, and EA.

So far he's taking EA's saying that they would turn a blind eye, that Loaf brought up, into account.

But until we find out from Harpercollins he's not going to do a thing.

I understand that that some of you aren't willing to call Mr. Cariello until after you learn more information from Mr. Telep.

I'm assuming you are hoping he can get us some info about the contract he made, when he finds it right?

I'm wondering if I should hold off a bit before I try to call, and try to find any information from their side of things?

Ya, that seems like a smart course of action. I've sent a message to Mr. Telep, letting him know that any contract info he can give us can be alot of help, before when we go to call the contract devision.

Unfortunately no...

It ended where I last left off...

In that he won't give the book unless we get permission from his publisher, and we don't talk to the publisher unless we have some idea of what kind of contract was filed in the first place...

Who knows we might have to try to contact the contract department just to see if we can get any info from their side... There is always a small chance they might have the info filed away... So asking them about it might give us a little more info into how we can proceed further into this endeavor...

I'm wondering how willing the contract department would be to give out such information to a third party? Does Mr Telep have an agent that represents him or does he represent himself?

Well, if someone figures out whom to talk to, it's worth a try. As it is, we keep going back and forth doing the same thing.

Well like I said before when I called harper collins I was told to call this person;

Harpercollins Publications
Richard Carielllo, contract division
(212) 207-7091

But at this point I don't know if he works there or if that number still works...

But at this point someone should call and see if he has time to answer a few simple questions on what he would need from Peter Telep in order for Telep to be free to release his work.

Back