Peter Telep, and Pilgrim's Truth, and researching the legal issues.

We've run into pretty much the same wall at the same place (G) I'm glad you got the prologue, though! Been wanting to have that back since they took it off his official site way back when.

I just finished "End Run." It was a good read. I don't get why they wouldn't reprint this one. It's exciting no matter how you look at it.

Here's the official line, from Baen's FAQ:

This answer was given to a request to reprint even a few copies of =End Run= which is out of print

The problem is, we can sell maybe a thousand a year while we need to print 15,000 to justify printing at all because a large part of the printing cost is "set-up." Thus if set-up is the same for printing a thousand at, say $4500, while actual printing costs are fifty cents per unit, the actual cost per unit in the first case is a five thousand dollars for a thousand units, or a prohibitive $5 per unit, whereas in the second case the cost is twelve thousand dollars for 15,000 units, or eighty cents per unit.

If I sell books for six bucks that cost me five bucks just to manufacture I'll go broke pretty fast. I get maybe two bucks per book to pay for everything except distribution — the bookstore's profit, authors royalty, manufacturing, cover art, rent and electricity.... everything including baby's new shoes.

Hope this helps. :)

Incidentally, the used bookstore by my house has copies of Freedom Flight, End Run, and Fleet Action in near-mint...

I have an extra copy of End Run in fair condition I'd be willing to trade for a few CCG cards I need to finish my collection if anyone is willing?

Confed;

Longbow Elite Fire Dagger Squadron

Thunderbolt VII Elite Tsunami Squadron

Luck Shift in Battle

I also have an extra for each of these books(in fair to good condition);

Heart of the Tiger

Fleet Action

Freedom Flight

If anyone is willing to trade.

New news...

Hi:
Got the emails. Why don't you and the guys at the CIC put something together, and maybe I can let go of the book. I'm wondering if there might also be a token payment for me? I am a working writer after all. Thanks! pt

Peter Telep
Department of English
University of Central Florida
Office: 407-823-3682​

I've asked him a few more questions to find out what he wants in a "token payment", so that he feels rewarded for his work. But basically it seems that either we'd have to give him royalties from xlibris.com(if it works that way), or give him some kind of donation?

But this looks like good news, and we are a step closer to getting the book released, as long as we take some initiative to set up some kind of release for the book, and set up a "token payment" for him.

So things aren't over yet.

If we could go through the xlibris route, how would he get his royalties?

As a side question for my own enlightment, what kind of cover would we want to put on it? Something that looks slick, and fits in with the wing commander theme? Maybe something that fits with the covers of the first two books?

Personally, I hope he chooses the xlibris route simply because it would be nice to have a bound book to put in my bookshelf, next to the others.

It would probably be easiest if he signed up with xlibris.com and the initial payment (basic service fee is $500) was provided by someone else.

Edit: Xlibris is for publishing your own work (or something you have the rights to) so it probably wouldn't work any other way.

Wow

This is really exciting especially since new material is always a small commodity these days. :D

For all of us interested in helping, but do not have any legal expertise... what can we do to help?

Well, maybe we should have one of the CIC staff set up a paypal donation account, as well as other alternate snailmail method to pay, and collect a donation for Mr. Telep.

Maybe we should start out with KrisV's recommended amount and get $500 donation ready for Xlibris route. Then I can let him know we collected it, and he may be willing to start things on his end?

Though I'm not clear as to what you are saying, Kris V? That Xlibris wouldn't work to publish Pilgrim Truth? ...or are you saying that there are no alternate ways to get the book released but Xlibris?

What I meant was that only Mr. Telep can publish Pilgrim Truth through XLibris. You couldn't have someone else submit the book to them since that person would not own the rights.

I think that XLibris may be the way to go. Mr. Telep would get royalties from any sales, they get the book listed on Amazon and such, and it's a non-exclusive agreement, so he could still get it published anywhere else if something should turn up.

I certainly wouldn't start collecting people's money before Mr. Telep has decided if and how to proceed. If he wants to publish it through XLibris, we could collect pledges, where people say they'll contribute a certain amount. The actual money can be collected afterwards when it looks like the goal will definitely be met.

Bob McDob said:
Is ER available on Baen's open-source library thing? It seems like it'd be a natural.

Nope. I've got a spare copy bouncing around though. None of Forstchen's stuff is in the Open Library.

Back