PERRY, where do you land?

So the fact that the Priv ships are light transports is your only argument to support the 40-70m size?

Oh, I'm sorry, you must have that disease where it makes you forget there's a giant thread where we're talking about something.

Well I don't think you can conclusively say "yes" or "no" to a certain number as to the size of Privateer ships. You can certainly make good arguments as to one way or another but without an official listing I don't think you can pin it down precisely.

Marc said:
Can anyone give me a clue as to what this is? I've modeled the basic shapes but I can't -for the life of me- figure out what I've made... :confused:
I have uncovered the secret!

Attachments

• perry-hangar.JPG
    perry-hangar.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 246
Well, I think that the privateer lands in the circular top hangar-thingy, because when you go inside Perry, you see windows, and there are none or few in bottom section as far as I saw it. It would fit some of the bigger ships to, I think.

Edfilho said:
Do you post simply to be contradictory? It's pretty well established that unused concept art doesn't enter into continuity, this is true... but of all the elements from that draft which did not make the cut, the maintenance platform did.

If you like, you can see it for yourself care of the CIC's document archive.

Last edited by a moderator:
6and7eighths said:
Do you post simply to be contradictory? It's pretty well established that unused concept art doesn't enter into continuity, this is true... but of all the elements from that draft which did not make the cut, the maintenance platform did.

dude, I think edfilho was respondin to LOAF's post about the disease. if not then disregard this post

other than that I have nothin new to bring to this thread except my opinion: the Centurion in the cover art that is landin in the bottom bay seems to be very out of scale if it is supposed to be a small transport and Perry a rather large important station on the edge of Confed's known space. Seems to me that Perry (as depicted on the cover art) was scaled down a bit to make it and all the other ships and the planet fit in.

Loaf, i agree with you about comparing perry to a WC2 starbase. If memory serves correct, it seemed like the lower section of the star bases were massive saucers for taking off and landing. I imagine there was a lot of space on them for both given that every carrier had a run way, i find it hard to believe that the starbase would not have something like that as well. In any case, I'd be willing to say that, at least mass wise, a station like Olympus probably has a lot on Perry. But weren't the WC2 bases different sizes? I have a seriously hard time believing that Caernarvon was the same size as Olympus given the difference in tactical value.

I also think that the take off and landing area was on the lower section of Perry. Given the time period, it just makes sense.

Loaf, i agree with you about comparing perry to a WC2 starbase. If memory serves correct, it seemed like the lower section of the star bases were massive saucers for taking off and landing. I imagine there was a lot of space on them for both given that every carrier had a run way, i find it hard to believe that the starbase would not have something like that as well. In any case, I'd be willing to say that, at least mass wise, a station like Olympus probably has a lot on Perry. But weren't the WC2 bases different sizes? I have a seriously hard time believing that Caernarvon was the same size as Olympus given the difference in tactical value.

That's correct, the landing area on the WC2 star bases was the lower ring.

The actual bases in WC2 (Olympus, Caernaven, Heaven's Gate, etc.) were all the same type of "Star Base" - 2,400 meter, 230,00 tonne phase-shielded monstrosities. The difference seems to have been what was assigned there - Caernaven had something like four fighters out of a possible complement of 400...

We also see the same design used as a much smaller "Space Station" in Academy - Candar is only 400 meters across and weighs in at 600 tonnes (it also has no phase shields).

That's correct, the landing area on the WC2 star bases was the lower ring.

The actual bases in WC2 (Olympus, Caernaven, Heaven's Gate, etc.) were all the same type of "Star Base" - 2,400 meter, 230,00 tonne phase-shielded monstrosities. The difference seems to have been what was assigned there - Caernaven had something like four fighters out of a possible complement of 400...

We also see the same design used as a much smaller "Space Station" in Academy - Candar is only 400 meters across and weighs in at 600 tonnes (it also has no phase shields).

Yeah, i always thought that Caernaven was a Candar type space station. It made more sense that way.

Yeah... but it was a concept that didn't exist when they created Caernaven. :)

Well... like you said in another thread; Just because a newer game introduces it, doesn't necessarily mean its new. Maybe thats what Caernaven was, and they just never got into it.

Seriously, the only crew you ever see on Caernaven is Blair, shadow, the com officer, and one engineer. Plus, at one point, Blair has to man the com terminal, which suggests to me that Caernaven has minimal staff.

Well... like you said in another thread; Just because a newer game introduces it, doesn't necessarily mean its new. Maybe thats what Caernaven was, and they just never got into it.

I don't think that's the same thing. The 'Space Station' may very well exist before 2667... but there's no indication that anyone wanted to retroactively turn Caernaven into one. For better or for worse, the 'Star Base' specifications and Caernaven were created to be one and the same by the Wing Commander II team.

Seriously, the only crew you ever see on Caernaven is Blair, shadow, the com officer, and one engineer. Plus, at one point, Blair has to man the com terminal, which suggests to me that Caernaven has minimal staff.

Using that logic Olympus et. al. are all the same class too, though... since they all have the same graphics and relative number of in-game character appearances. This isn't actually telling at al - simply seeing one person in WC2's story doesn't indicate how many there are total.

Also, the Victory Streak tells us a bit more about Caernarvon Station - apparently, a great deal of scientific research went on down there. So, it probably had a rather large scientific staff onboard.

(besides that, it can't be a Candar-type station, because it's phase shielded, and Candar isn't)

Also, the Victory Streak tells us a bit more about Caernarvon Station - apparently, a great deal of scientific research went on down there. So, it probably had a rather large scientific staff onboard.

Yeah... those references are a bit odd because of the dates (in the 21st century), but we do have some history from WC1/2 guide (which also explains why we don't see a staff in WC2): "Caernarvon Station was originally designed as a research outpost for the Intergalactic Science Council (ISC), but in the year preceding my arrival, its scientific staff had been sent to a newer facility in another sector. When the TCSN took over, it was put into commission as a monitoring and reconnaissance station for the Enigma Sector of space."

Also, a printed extract from the WC2 script from that same guide: "Mention that Blair and Shadow are two out of only six pilots at the station. The station (called Caernvarvon [sic]) is referred to disparagingly as a pre-fab communications platform."

Back