Perennial Rumor: Wing Commander Making a Comeback? (May 15, 2021)

I love the fmv of wing commander, dont see EA going that way though.
They've been, until very recently game to do actual live action FMV for both C&C and the Need for Speed franchises. I don't see them necessarily going live action, but at the very least I would bet on mo-cap/perf-cap in-engine 3D cutscenes.

Motion capture was what I was thinking of when I referred to voice actors (the motion actors aren't always the same as the voice actors), although I suppose that route is more expensive than animations just done manually.

Mo cap sure, traditional fmv, i highly doubt that if they are wanting to attract a new generation.

I don't think I'd favour a sequel now, I'm too afraid of some kind of reboot or disregard for lore.

If it was handed to the CIC then fine. I'd trust @Pedro @Howard Day and @Bandit LOAF to put something together that doesn't trample on the past too much. Moreso even than Chris Roberts at this point, and that's not meant with any disrespect to him.

Reactions: cff
I don't think I'd favour a sequel now, I'm too afraid of some kind of reboot or disregard for lore.

If it was handed to the CIC then fine. I'd trust @Pedro @Howard Day and @Bandit LOAF to put something together that doesn't trample on the past too much. Moreso even than Chris Roberts at this point, and that's not meant with any disrespect to him.

I'm can't speak for the other two but I wouldn't want to be responsible for messing up my favourite franchise. The first thing I'd do with that opportunity is bring in someone I respected to be creative director.
I'd love to lead an official remaster though; polish I can do, both in terms of visuals and mechanics - if I had the time and resources the work on WCIV has me convinced it could be applied to all the games in the franchise, with each title being less work than the last.

I'm can't speak for the other two but I wouldn't want to be responsible for messing up my favourite franchise. The first thing I'd do with that opportunity is bring in someone I respected to be creative director.
I'd love to lead an official remaster though; polish I can do, both in terms of visuals and mechanics - if I had the time and resources the work on WCIV has me convinced it could be applied to all the games in the franchise, with each title being less work than the last.

Oh for sure, I'm not saying you'd want to do it - more that I'd trust the fans more than the powers that be. Of course, EA would never just hand it over to us!

Standoff was a good example of a successful fan-lead project, of course it wasn't as polished as a triple-A title but it was very popular here at the time and was very careful not to tread on canon. Now I know that the WIng Commander universe already breaks its own lore in places with certain contradictions, so I don't expect any official sequel to be perfect in terms of keeping with past events.

You're right though, remakes are safer ground. I think everybody is quietly excited for your WCIV, but no pressure like...

Expectations are different for a full title.
I don't think someone *needs* to be a fan to do it justice, a new perspective can help - if they were diligent and respectful of the material I wouldn't be dismissive of something from someone who wasn't originally a fan. That's a big if though, and admittedly much more likely with a fan.

I agree, worst case scenario is the new title is horrible and flops, my opinion is who cares, I still got the classics that I love. Going through wc2 again as we speak.

Fortunately there's one Wing Commander game with completely self-contained lore:

Bd-box1.jpg

(Do we really not have a better original cover scan than that? The Mobygames one is much nicer)

I agree, worst case scenario is the new title is horrible and flops, my opinion is who cares, I still got the classics that I love. Going through wc2 again as we speak.

Like a lot of people I can have my enjoyment spoiled by something sub-par.
The most obvious example of that is Aliens, one of my favourite movies, but knowing how Alien 3 starts spoils my enjoyment of the ending every time.
Alien 3 isn't a film I enjoy watching and its existence decreases my enjoyment of something I do love.
That's not to say that's inevitable; all the bad Terminator sequels in the world don't spoil my enjoyment of the originals as the premise is built on alternate timelines.

There are definitely sequels I'd rather not have, and circumstances where I'm more than happy with something that didn't live up to expectations.

Like a lot of people I can have my enjoyment spoiled by something sub-par.
The most obvious example of that is Aliens, one of my favourite movies, but knowing how Alien 3 starts spoils my enjoyment of the ending every time.
Alien 3 isn't a film I enjoy watching and its existence decreases my enjoyment of something I do love.
That's not to say that's inevitable; all the bad Terminator sequels in the world don't spoil my enjoyment of the originals as the premise is built on alternate timelines.

There are definitely sequels I'd rather not have, and circumstances where I'm more than happy with something that didn't live up to expectations.
Its just easy for me to enjoy what i enjoy and ignore the rest. Especially if its a remake or re-imagine of a game. Like for instance I loved RoboCop that was made in the 80s I saw the Remake a couple years ago and thought meh, but i still love the 80s movie, and you can def buy that for a dollar

Its just easy for me to enjoy what i enjoy and ignore the rest. Especially if its a remake or re-imagine of a game. Like for instance I loved RoboCop that was made in the 80s I saw the Remake a couple years ago and thought meh, but i still love the 80s movie, and you can def buy that for a dollar

Remakes I'm just not interested in generally, yeah the remake of Robocop and Ghostbusters don't spoil my enjoyment in any way - but then I wasn't holding out hope for Robocop 4 or Ghostbusters 3.
A remake of Wing Commander would be different as it'd spoil hopes for a new title in the universe - it's a long shot but still holding out hope for a Doctor Who style reboot.

1. I dont believe it. 2 I agree with Pedro below, give me Privateer with animated characters, updated graphics, leave the engine alone and I would be good to go.

The sad thing about Priv. 2 was there was a good game to be had there, but it got ruined by too much hopping around. IF they would have stuck to the original Priv 1 map, it might have worked. That's the main problem I had with Dark Star One, although it was a better game.

Back