Passed!

Psych - I just picked up a preliminary application for the Naval Academy. I am interested in naval aviation. Should I be looking into these tests or are they for enlisted applicants?

Sylvester, if you want to fly, you will have to take the ASTB in college. If you want to be a hard charger, go ahead and take the ASVAB now (enlisted guys only need to take the ASVAB to get in), if you get a good score, it'll be something good to put in your app.

psych said:
If you want to get a jarhead commission, I really recommend PLC or OCC, cause they aren't any obligation till you actually get your bars. Also it leaves you with more options once you are done with college; for example, I wouldn't be here at NSWC if I was contractually obligated for the Corps.

That's what I'm planning on doing. I've been in contact with an Officer Selection Officer, but I don't think I'm ready for OCS physically or mentally yet.

Everything what Psych said, except the part about all recruiters are shitbags. They have the second hardest job in the military, the hardest being Drill Instructors (dealing with the trash what recruiters send).

My recruiter never lied to me, and as a matter of fact, that's how he treated everyone, and always made quota, and only had one that actually was completely signed up that didn't graduate boot camp. He was in an auto accident before he shipped and smashed both his knees. He was lucky to walk.

My recruiter actually told me to take a hike until I got a set of weights. Go figure.:D

Hehe, no, Dobie Mall.

It's the small mall that has it all.

Except not the things listed on the sign outside, which apparently they never change.

Also, there's a store that sells NES games now. It just appeared in a corner one night.

Razer92
I'm lost , then too the last time I had to worry about an ASVAB was
in '88 . My first score was 119 in '83 , then 124 in '88 after I got out
and went to college a couple of years . On Miltary.com they have a listing
of Army jobs and what score was required to qualify for it some 105-110.
The double digit rating yall are tossing around is greek to me .
Maybe it's Army/Navy/Air Force thing.
However it is well known fact in all the branches that " all Recruiters lie "
( except for Rippers , there's always an exception ) . Today there are far to
many ways to double check the load they shovel . Be smart , get it in writting if
possible , check out what your told verses what the branch your intrested in
has on-line . Go to your local VFW or veterans hospital talk to vets . Most of
them love thier branch and will tell you straight what the deal is .
Best of luck .

The military made some changes to the ASVAB recently, and they've got a new grading system behind it.

When I took it (in... 1999), the result was given as a percentile. I scored the same as Psych.

(I do not, in retrospect, have any idea why I took the ASVAB other than that I've always had a moderately disconcerting love of standardized tests. I don't think there was ever any chance that I'd be allowed to join the military.)

Bandit LOAF said:
(I do not, in retrospect, have any idea why I took the ASVAB other than that I've always had a moderately disconcerting love of standardized tests. I don't think there was ever any chance that I'd be allowed to join the military.)

I think when I was in high school they sent all the guys to the cafeteria one morning to take it. I really liked standardized tests too, so I'd have done it, but I was busy with other stuff.

Hrm. Sounds like something I'd do too, given the opportunity.

I seem to be artificially good at taking tests...

Yeah, standardized tests were the best. They were absurdly easy, and it was fun to tell everyone how awesome you did.

Back