Palan 1 woes & save/load trouble

I have serious trouble with my game. Currently, when I load it, I'm dumped right into the middle of a firefight during Palan mission 1. I get shredded, I die, and when I respawn, it puts me right back there, only it leaves the Demons already there and spawns even more. I can't get anywhere because I'm in a Centurion (Demons have faster afterburn speed), I can't load a previous file because I can't get to a base, and it's really pissing me off. Anyone have any suggestions short of deleting my saves and starting over again?

(Side note: I had to reinstall Privateer Remake today, could that be related to the problem?)

EDIT: Problem is solved, but I'm not sure what I did to fix it. Would still like to know why it happened, though.

I had the same experience. I found that quitting PR and restarting it reset the "universe" state. I also found that reloading an old save game, one stored before Palan 1 began, worked to keep the Demon enemies from accumulating.

I think our problem happens because PR doesn't reset the world after a basic respawn. Anyone know how to adjust the world-preservation behavior of the game?

Back