P2 Engines

Priest

Spaceman
Hello!

I was just recently replaying P2 and after reading WCCH I thought of P2 engines as a variation of Hopper Drive.
What do you think, am I way off with this assumption?

Priest

Hmm, are you referring to the jump engines you actually use in Privateer 2 for going from navpoint to navpoint, or the historical "D-Drive" engines mentioned in the P2 databases?

Yes, I'm referring to 'regular' jump engines we actually use.
It does seem to me that this is miniaturized hopper drive that takes you across smaller distances, but recharges more quickly then original hopper drive.
And beacons probably mark relatively safe areas for jump.
D-Drive imho is suspiciously close to akwende drive...

Priest

It's possible, though there are situations where numerous mini jumps exist throughout a small area such as the Tri System.

Yeah, I always thought of the "in system" jumps as being more like the mini-jumps we saw in Firekka (in SM2) (with the couple of 'tween-system "gates" being regular jump points that are opened externally like in the WCIV novel...).

Yes but maybe they use a different tech system, since they seem to be isolated and all. Guns overheating seem to be a problem on P2, but not on the rest of the WCU. This has no effect on "being on the same universe" or not.

Well, it does and it doesn't - you can invent six different ways to do something, but they're all going to be based on the same set of physical properties.

Back