Outlaw Pop-up Ads!!!

Should pop-up ads be outlawed?

• YES! Outlaw Them

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • NO! Don't Outlaw them, they're useful for one reason or another...

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Uncertain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by TopGun
Well I have no choice, since I'm on a Uni Computer
I assume by that you mean University computer?... In that case:
Oh, Pobrecito...
Surely you know how to install (and prolly have done so) yer own s/w on a corporate/school PC?...

If you meant "Unix", then I guess that verily thou art screwed.

Originally posted by Preacher If you meant "Unix", then I guess that verily thou art screwed.

How so? Mozilla runs fine on various nixes. There are also better alternatives like Konqueror and Chimera. The former is the basis of the Mac Safari browser and while I do not know how well safari runs Konqueror is indeed a very good browser and Chimera is based on Mozilla but some improvements have been made to speed it up.

Just download the appropriate source and compile it. Shouldn't take 5 minutes. I also believe that Opera is available for Unix. Don't quote me on that.

I meant University, but we're not allowed to install S/W onto the machines. The Techies watch the systems closely and any unauthorised S/W found would deleted and the person who installed it would have their account disabled

Originally posted by T8H3X11
Just get Ad-Aware from LAvasoft and you'll never have a problem with ads and the like again.
Um, 'fraid not. Last I knew, AdAware hunts down and will uninstall adware proggies, but doesn't address popups at all (unless they added this feature since the last time I checked)

To steampunk:

I wasn't sure if Mozilla is available for Unix, so I assumed it wasn't; Opera is *definitely* not avail. (yet, anyway) for Unix. However, both browsers have flavors available for Linux

To TopGun:
That sucks for you. Still, I'd check the web some more. There are certain browsers available that come in a "portable" version, that can be run off a floppy disk. Of course, you lose a lotta bells & whistles, but you may also lose the popups.

To delance:

WTH is Unicron?...

Preacher, well, actually I'm not sure if Mozilla and Opera are available for Unix. Most of our machinces had Linux installed on them. But some are still Solaris. I sorta just assumed that someone would have written the appropriate libraries to get those browsers compiled and working in Unix. Netscape should have done that with Mozilla. Opera I have no idea about ...

Oh well, there's always Konquerer.

Um, 'fraid not. Last I knew, AdAware hunts down and will uninstall adware proggies, but doesn't address popups at all (unless they added this feature since the last time I checked)

Well version 6 keeps most of the spware and pop ups away.

Originally posted by Preacher
WTH is Unicron?...

I can't believe a male from our generation asked that question in ernest. Thats a mortal travesty.

Originally posted by steampunk
Preacher, well, actually I'm not sure if Mozilla and Opera are available for Unix. ...But some are still Solaris. I sorta just assumed that someone would have written the appropriate libraries to get those browsers compiled and working in Unix. Netscape should have done that with Mozilla. Opera I have no idea about ...

Opera & Unix = No
Opera & Solaris/Linux/FreeBSD = Yes
Mozilla & Linux/Windows = Yes
Mozilla & Unix = ? (I don't know; fill in here if you know for certain)

To T8:

Well, I ain't used it since v. 5x, so that must been one of the improvements they made to it since then. Another plus about it was that you COULD (back in that older version at least) run it off of a floppy.

To LeHah:

I am not of your generation, methinks.

Originally posted by KrisV
Is it to scale?
I don't know. If you follow Delance's link you will find the attempts at other Unicron figures and look around and you'll find the current Armada figures. Maybe that will give you an idea.

I'm wondering how old Preacher is now that he has no idea of Unicron. Or maybe his folks only let him watch "educational TV"

Back