Outdated FAQ Thread #1

Quarto said:
No mission bug I'd ever seen causes a total computer lockup. I suspect it's more a case of Standoff pushing the engine to its limits, since I also got these lockups once or twice, and not necessarily in M3.

Yeah, from my own beta testing experience, I think Standoff does not like slower Celerons... That math coprocessor appears to be very important for the computer to get the game running, specially on those asteroids missions.

Flav, what you need is speed... Try closing all the background programs, including antivirus. Also disable all special effects, specially textured space. Oh, right before the error happens, set your comm messages to none. I know the game will be worse running without comms, but that may be the only thing to get you past the lockup point.

Just another question: Am I blind or does the simulator not exist anyway? You could have included it for the waiting-time :).

The simulator does not exist in the prologue. We never intended to include the sim in the prologue, because back when we first planned the prologue, we only had about three Kilrathi ships. Of course, by the time we got the prologue near completion, we had almost the entire Kilrathi set ready... but by then, adding the sim would have caused something of a delay (since we don't have all the sim missions done yet).

Just for the waiting time, wouldn´t it be nice to release a simulator-pack after New Year´s Eve or is it too much work to get this done? I don´t know about the work-time, so this is just a question :).

Hm i really would like to play standoff but it seems i have problems with the download mirror, i go to the download link, do a right click and then save as....(then my computer tries to connect) but nothing happens and after a few seconds i get an error message saying that the download is canceled because the time expired.... so whats the problem, ie what am i doing wrong?

I just updated the site a few minutes ago, our downloads page should have both mirrors listed there now.

Couple questions, observations

1) "I have replayed the whole thing from start (to try flying different ships and getting different outcomes)" - huh? i may be dense here, but how do you do this? i'm up to the asteroid base assault mission, it's the first time i've been given anything but a Stiletto.
2) i got a lock up once too, in this fight when one of the victims was screaming a death message. only happened the once tho.
3) when i press P to adjust my power settings i can't see any graphic - this a fault? the S shield setting works ok.
4) **2** missile decoys? come ON...
5) from the launcher, i can't get the help/gameplay stuff up : i get one line of text that goes off the screen, can't scroll it etc.

this game is outstanding so far, great achievement :)

man, what i'd really love is a game where you could play as a marine too - when you land on the asteroid it would change to a Delta Force/Ghost Recon type thing where you'd have to go in and fight and hunt out the hostages etc.

KW
//\oo/\\

Killer Wolf said:
1) "I have replayed the whole thing from start (to try flying different ships and getting different outcomes)" - huh? i may be dense here, but how do you do this? i'm up to the asteroid base assault mission, it's the first time i've been given anything but a Stiletto.
Just keep playing. :cool:

Killer Wolf said:
3) when i press P to adjust my power settings i can't see any graphic - this a fault? the S shield setting works ok.
Power management was removed on purpose to keep ships from flying like character-less generic clones of each other, and to be true to the feel of earlier games (where such a thing was absent). Shield management wasn't removed because we couldn't figure out a way to remove it.

Killer Wolf said:
4) **2** missile decoys? come ON...
All ships have WC2-era quantities of decoys *AND* missiles (example: 4 missiles, 2 decoys)... as opposed to WCP/SO ships which had... I don't know, some ridiculous quantities of both (you'd launch with enough missiles to kill an entire enemy fleet, and often did).

First off: wow!
Second off: wow again!
Okay, so I really, really like this! Fantastic job, everyone! I just have one observation. Maybe I'm just not noticing it, but I don't recall hearing my wingmen saying any of their "I'm launching a missile" coms. Is there some sort of bug, or am I just too wrapped up in combat to notice? This first came to my attention when Spoons did a great missile shot to take out a... this is a spoiler..... Sabre. I heard him taunt the enemy, and then gloat about his kill. But, I didn't hear the launch com. I'll pay more attention, but has anyone else noticed this?
Lastly, I would like to make myself redundant by saying: wow!

Sphynx said:
Maybe I'm just not noticing it, but I don't recall hearing my wingmen saying any of their "I'm launching a missile" coms. Is there some sort of bug, or am I just too wrapped up in combat to notice?
They do have such a comm, so most likely you simply didn't notice it.

Starkey said:
Yeah, from my own beta testing experience, I think Standoff does not like slower Celerons... That math coprocessor appears to be very important for the computer to get the game running, specially on those asteroids missions.

Flav, what you need is speed... Try closing all the background programs, including antivirus. Also disable all special effects, specially textured space. Oh, right before the error happens, set your comm messages to none. I know the game will be worse running without comms, but that may be the only thing to get you past the lockup point.

Don't think it's the Celerons. I replayed UE also and even though it slowed down after the 2 Murphys and the Eisen jumped in (plus the Zu'Baka and the Dauntless), it didn't hang. Besides, in M3 my system hanged in the fight before the search through the asteroids. Actually, it's not a hard hang as I thought - if I press CTRL-ALT-DEL, the music will stop but will not display the Task Manager so I have no way to end it.

Another thing, I have find a bug in the same mission 3. In the talk with Squealer, I decided to set my speed to zero. My 2 wingmen decided to break off and shoot up Squealer. Anyways, they ended up taking down all of Squealer's armor. Squealer even ended up taking a missle or two. I guess with the invul Squealer was undamaged. But it's quite funny considering that my wingmen is not suppose to see him at all - Maybe it can be modified so that the wingmen are coded to stay in formation?

flav2000 said:
Another thing, I have find a bug in the same mission 3. In the talk with Squealer, I decided to set my speed to zero. My 2 wingmen decided to break off and shoot up Squealer. Anyways, they ended up taking down all of Squealer's armor. Squealer even ended up taking a missle or two. I guess with the invul Squealer was undamaged. But it's quite funny considering that my wingmen is not suppose to see him at all - Maybe it can be modified so that the wingmen are coded to stay in formation?

Hrm, odd. We came across that problem in a previous version but it was apparently meant to be fixed (and we thought it was since we all replayed the final version and M3 was flawless). It's a bug, but one we thought we had overcome.

It might be that the fix did only concern YOU shooting at him, not your wingmen?

No, no, that's not what the fix ensured. Your wingmen were only ever going to start after him when he appears on radar, and will only ever be able to reach him if he stays on radar. He's meant to disappear and reappear continuously.

What's even more strange is that the wingmans have a line in their code that was put there specificly so that they attack nothing... unless the command is overwritten when you order your wingman to break and attack ? I don't think this was tested. We'll look for a way to fix this; like, execute the AI_AttackNothing command in a loop so it's always reapplied or something. Next version !

I get a random crash at random intervals throughout the game, however it happens most when I'm fighting the sabres in mission 2, or the talons in the first part of mission 3. I get a fatal error which says DInput::fetch2 fell out of loop and it kicks me back to windows. any ideas on how to fix it?

EDIT:
I'm running the patch and all game executables are set for 98/me compatibility I have a 1 gig AMD thunderbird, 512 SDRAM, GeForce 2 MX 440 video card, and Sound Blaster Live X-Gamer sound card. I'm running XP SP2 with all updates.

Back