Opinions on Standoff Episode 1 (*spoiler warning*)

I remember that mission

I didn't know how to open the nav map so I didn't save the convoy but the game didn't end or anything

Speaking of hotkeys, is it possible to redistribut? power/shields with keyboard only? It was possible in SO/UE, those keys don't work in Standoff...

Opinions? Hmm... I thought the prologue was great, though I did die about ten counted times in a row on the asteroid base assult. Standoff is hard and that's something I've enjoyed a lot. Just wondering, by why do the wingmen (of the most cmmon situations with 'em):

A) Fly well and kicks lots of ass (25-40% of the time)
B) I find more purple dots than blue ones? (50%+)
C) All of them except Spoons, Cougar, and Longshot die at the pirate base assault? (50%+)

Just have to say I'll never call Talons cannon fodder again. I was whacked by Talons 10 times in a row. Ouch, my ego!

It would help if you could have the damn wingmen stop impaling themselves on the turrets and just help you out with the fighters. I found myself repeatedly hitting the "attack my target" key while following a Talon just to make the wingmen leave the rock alone so they would survive long enough to draw some fire away from me later on.

It would also be cool if you could send them home on the earlier missions to keep them from losing all the ships.

I agree with Chicken that it's a big plus that the last mission is nice and hard. WCP had me spoiled.

Chicken said:
Just wondering, by why do the wingmen (of the most cmmon situations with 'em):

A) Fly well and kicks lots of ass (25-40% of the time)
B) I find more purple dots than blue ones? (50%+)
C) All of them except Spoons, Cougar, and Longshot die at the pirate base assault? (50%+)
We've been able to figure out what the AI parameters for pilots mean, but we couldn't figure out ways to improve them past their original WCP/SO ranges. So, what happens is that while our pilots have different skill levels (for example, Cougar might be less suicidal than Spoons, while Spoons might be a better gunner, etc.), they're still limited to WCP-like levels of intelligence (which is pretty low).

As a side note, I believe that most of Standoff's best Confed pilots (AI stats wise) are the ones which already appeared in Ep. 1... Cougar, Longshot, and Spoons. There will still be plenty of new non-generic people around, though.

While we're on that note: I understand the reasons for the callsigns for Cougar (a nimble and deadly predator, very good in light fighters) and Longshot (excellent marksman, good at surviving in tough odds)... but what about Spoons? What is that referring to? Spoons aren't particularly known for striking fear in the heart of the enemy (unless the enemy is chocolate pudding :p ), nor does that seem to imply any sort of skill (such as Longshot). I get the feeling that it's some sort of comic reference or inside joke, but I'm not sure that I get what it is.

McGruff said:
It would help if you could have the damn wingmen stop impaling themselves on the turrets and just help you out with the fighters. I found myself repeatedly hitting the "attack my target" key while following a Talon just to make the wingmen leave the rock alone so they would survive long enough to draw some fire away from me later on.

Ahh, see?? :D

I noticed the same thing in beta testing, and Quarto did a lot of AI tweaking in order to prevent that. It used to be worse, in the first drafts of the mission, you would get to a point where no Talons were around, and your wingmen would start ramming the Pirate base lemming-like and dying, all of them.

Sphynx said:
While we're on that note: I understand the reasons for the callsigns for Cougar (a nimble and deadly predator, very good in light fighters) and Longshot (excellent marksman, good at surviving in tough odds)... but what about Spoons? (...) I get the feeling that it's some sort of comic reference or inside joke, but I'm not sure that I get what it is.
Well, in Standoff we wanted the callsigns to feel somewhat more realistic in that not all callsigns are something that strikes fear in the heart of the enemy... they can be just joke names that people stuck to you during your academy days, or plays on your last name or whatever.
As for Spoons specifically, it's really just the name a friend of mine used on some online forums, for a reason equally unknown to me. In-universe, I'd have to say it probably comes from some practical joke or from having some weird ability. :p

The Firekka's roster has a couple more of the non-fearsome callsigns... off the top of my head, we got Flakbait, Popsicle, Decoy, and IIRC, Pumpkin.

Oh, and in Ep. 1, you missed Squealer - it's not really a callsign to be proud of, either. :p

I've written stories with a recurring pilot named "Babyface."

Anyway, Standoff, Ep. 1... Yar, it was great. I was smiling the whole time. I'll probably play through it again this afternoon. Really, really exciting. Although I did notice at the log-in screen, the name still said "Lance R. Casey," but that's a minor problem. Voice-overs were great, and the talking heads were sort of creepy, but very well-done.

Dralthi5 said:
I did notice at the log-in screen, the name still said "Lance R. Casey," but that's a minor problem.

According to the programming staff, that thing is hardcoded into the program, and no one has found out how to change it yet.

Right, Squealer sounds like he got named for screeching like a little girl while pulling a few gees as a cadet. I think you've got a point, though, I know a few pilots in real life who are sporting call-signs that are anything but flattering and fearsom.

But, somehow, the name Spoons seems to fit the personality.

Is there a way to disable the "Traitors never win" screen for future episodes? I want to be able to take out my entire flight wing and then my own carrier like in the good old days of Wing Commander. Starting with Spoons!

Nope, I think that scene is auto-triggered when you attack a friendly IFF for long enough. Also, it'd make no sense to let you kill everyone without anyone fighting back like in WC1. :p

Just played though Standoff again, except switched to invulnerability and rammed my way to victory! The ships in Standoff seem pretty thin afterall, though I wouldn't say that about the Lionheart. I'm not complaining that they are weak, but this approach makes the gameplay even more difficult and I found myself spending more time flying in circles to avoid missiles, Talons, and especially the Sabres during my first run. But being able to ram Squealer into the pirate base is such a great feeling! :D

I also rammed poor Sparrow into dust, though it was quite hard because of the afterburners.

It's kind of a tradition for me to switch to invulnerability and ram my way to victory in the WC games, but I rammed Thrakkath by accident during the final mission in WC3. Bam! No long winded dogfight, instead going through him like a spear and continuing to Kilrah unimpended with cloaking.

Back