Off topic, please don't close.

Y'know... learning the ways of the Drift could probably out-do the Force...
The Force can crush the arteries on a person's neck, effectively suffocating the brain to death...

But the Drift... you suffocate planets, because you need all that oxygen to talk and type off-topic and into the abyss... ...

wink.gif

------------------
Assistant Game Master
Chief of Public Relations
BlackLance HQ

"..there are always three sides to any given truth..."

[This message has been edited by Metras (edited June 04, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
The POINT I'm trying to make is that NOBODY STOLE ANYTHING. How in the hell do you steal something in electronic form? Last time I checked, stealing involved taking of something of value. Now, until I can take 100 MP3s, to the store, and buy food with them, how in the hell are they considered a tangiable item you can steal. Money, electronics, silverware, furniture, cars, all of this I can see being stolen. But MP3s? They complain because people ripped them from CDs and traded them through Napster. Ok, like that's new. People have been dubbing tapes and CDs for decades now.
--------------------------
Fact: Metallica Bans over 300,000 users, some 29,000 swear an oath that they didn't trade illegal MP3s. Of those 29,000, only 3000 weren't allowed access again. The rest of the 270,000 either didn't respond, or used false emails to sign up.
Fact:
(PayLARS.com)Metallica is suing Napster, several universities, and several John or Jane Does (their fans) for copyright infringement, claiming that the "illegal copying and trading" of their music on Napster has robbed the band of its rightful revenues. The suit is seeking damages of $100,000 for each song that was traded, for a total of $10,000,000. Now, that's an awful lot of revenue they claim to have lost, isn't it?
Ok, the universities are out of it for good, but Napster is still going to take some heat. They're going to get 10 mil out of those >300,000 people. Plus, they are threatening to reveal the names (real ones, not screens) of those who did the trading. Gee, what great PR!
----------------------
I believe Nikki Stixx of Montly Crue said it best about this issue:
I mean they're suing their fans to promote their tour. That's fucking assbackwards. What's next Lars? What a fucking cheap-ass Web cartoon to plug your tour? We'd never sink that low.

That's just part of it, but I think you get the idea. The last part's a parody, about the cartoon thing, but its the truth. It's all about publicity really, but how in the hell will suing fans bring them (good) publicity?
----------------------------
And Metras, where do you see this press release claiming there's no lawsuit? It seems to have disappeared.

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

Metras said:
Y'know... learning the ways of the Drift could probably out-do the Force...
The Force can crush the arteries on a person's neck, effectively suffocating the brain to death...

Actually the Force Grip as its formally called only constricts the throat, suffocating the entire body, not just the brain, which is why everytime its used you'll always see the legs and arms give out before they eyes go dark.

------------------
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

I think this discussion has indeed outlived its usefulness. Would you like to Drift to a different topic now, or shall I just close this?

[This message has been edited by Quarto (edited June 05, 2000).]

huh?

------------------
Ziggy played guitar, jamming good with Weird and Gilly,
The Spiders From Mars
He played it left hand, but made it too far
Became the special man, then we were Ziggy's band

Ooh! drift!

"who here has heard about No regret?"

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Quarto said:
I think this discussion has indeed outlived its usefulness. Would you like to Drift to a different topic now, or shall I just close this?

I thought I started a good drift with the force grip clarification
smile.gif

------------------

According to the Official Star Wars Force Manual 2nd Edition, the Force Grip pinches the carotid artery in a person's neck. Because of the telekinesis involved, and the necessary mind-matter-mind transaction, you'll see that (for example) Darth Vader 'pinches' his index and thumb togther. The body convulses due to the bodies own 'panic alert'. The heart attempts to pump as hard as it can to 'break through' the obstruction of the artery. (Kind of like when you over-rev a car...)

There's my two cents (and Michael Stackpole's).

cool.gif

------------------
Assistant Game Master - Chief of Public Relations
BlackLance HQ
"Every truth has three sides."

[This message has been edited by Metras (edited June 05, 2000).]

Metras said:
According to the Official Star Wars Force Manual 2nd Edition, the Force Grip pinches the carotid artery in a person's neck. Because of the telekinesis involved, and the necessary mind-matter-mind transaction, you'll see that (for example) Darth Vader 'pinches' his index and thumb togther. The body convulses due to the bodies own 'panic alert'. The heart attempts to pump as hard as it can to 'break through' the obstruction of the artery. (Kind of like when you over-rev a car...)

There's my two cents (and Michael Stackpole's).

cool.gif

Different authors, different opinions. If you'll notice when Luke uses it, he doesn't have to pinch his fingers together, because it's all done in the mind. Hand signals have nothing to do with it, other than helping keep focused. Yes, the body convulses, but the legs give way from lack of oxygen, which causes the victims to fall or stumble back. I can't find the entry on the Force Grip in the SW Encyclopedia. No index and I don't feel like looking for it, because it's not under "force grip", but something else.

------------------

Am I the only one who's getting tired of how Quarto posts to every thread and goes "I HOPE THIS TOPIC WILL DRIFT! HAHAHAHA!"
smile.gif
? I'd be lying if I said it was funny once.

I think he's just getting too lazy to close things and too lazy to argue.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Well if you put it that way, LOAF, then I must retort by saying that I really don't like having words put in my mouth, thank you very much.

TC: No, I'm not too lazy to argue, or to close. I don't like closing threads, because it generally causes more arguments than it solves. And there are times when arguing simply reaches the point where further arguing will cause unnecessary aggravation.

I'm only human. I reserve the right to be cranky
smile.gif

*looks around shocked*

What? Nobody?

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Back