Odd star trek development

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/15216.html

Star Trek Now Under "CBS Paramount Television"

. . . Licensing and merchandising activities for Star Trek will now fall under the aegis of CBS Consumer Products. However, according to Variety, Paramount Home Entertainment (which remains with Viacom) will continue to distribute Star Trek on DVD, at least in the short term. . .

CBS has already started to exploit the Trek property by offering downloadable episodes of Deep Space Nine and Voyager through the Google Video Store.
The press release announcing CBS Paramount Television is posted on this page at www.cbscorporation.com. . .

Don't know if this will actually change anything as far as star trek is handled as a franchise or not.

A brief look, and So far its mostly season 1 and 2 of DS9 and voyager for about $1.99US. per episode....

This has been a subject of discussion on #Wingnut. LOAF and Chris know the situation pretty well.

Which, naturally, makes it and any further discussion of it completely passe for the off-topic zone.

It seems a curious state of affairs, although not altogether unheard of. While I'm sure there are reasons for it, I've never really been able to wrap my mind around how studios handle their properties.

There's been some very interesting developments in regards to Star Trek games lately. The Star Trek Online project picked up Mike Okuda as a consultant and seems to be on track. They've also recently announced an impressive sounding PC/XBox 360 Star Trek game that'll span all three timeframes (Enterprise, TOS, TNG/DS9/Voyager). There's also a PSP/DS Star Trek strategy game in the works by the people who did Starfleet Command. Pretty neat stuff.

Hopefully these developments will turn out better than the last few years of Trek that we've seen on TV.

I enjoyed Enterprise a lot and someday I'll burn down the internet to get back for its cancellation.

TrekToday have some details on the new game under development for the Nintendo DS and Sony PSP, Star Trek: Tactical Assault. They have also some coverage of a recent Rick Berman interview, in which he hints at a new internet Star Trek project, which I assume is separate to the Star Trek MMO game under development.

Star Trek Magazine Rick Berman Interview said:
...However, he did say, "There's something going on with the Internet, something Star Trek–related, but it's something that's way too early to discuss."
Perhaps this new internet project is slated for the 40th anniversary later this year?

Cheers,

BrynS

Isn't he referring to the internet distribution of Deep Space 9 and Voyager episodes?

Yes, I suppose that could be very likely, especially as the lag time between when the interview was conducted and actually published in the magazine could be many weeks or more. Having only read the excerpts available online, I deferred to the judgment of the TrekToday editors to mention whether or not the projects were related.

Another possibility I was mulling over was perhaps a major startrek.com portal revamp and not just the typical site design changes as happened 2-3 years ago. It was reported late last year that Startrek.com was facing an uncertain future due to the CBS/Viacom split with the possibility of being shutdown at the end of 2005, which was evidently averted. Perhaps one of the conditions for continuing with the portal was a site overhaul/realignment (given the lack of new, first-run episodic Star Trek shows) and/or new internet ventures?

Thanks BrynS for the links and infos. Your links led me to this interesting info at Trekcore on Star Trek: Tactical Assault:
  • Star Trek Tactical Assault will be a handheld game for Sony PSP and Nintendo DS.
  • Game will take place during TOS only.
  • Single player focuses on Federation and Klingons.
  • Wireless multiplayer allows Romulan, Orion, and Gorn ships to be playable.
  • Combat is on 2D plane like Starfleet Command.
  • The lower touch screen on the Nintendo DS will allow you to control the ship.
The list and a screen image are here

BrynS said:
Perhaps one of the conditions for continuing with the portal was a site overhaul/realignment (given the lack of new, first-run episodic Star Trek shows) and/or new internet ventures?
They should just hand over startrek.com to a few of the bigger and better run Trek RPing groups :)

HammerHead said:
Bethesda are the basterds who bought the Fallout francise a few years ago, the went all around promising a "Fallout 3", and then, surprise surprise!, trushed it all!

Bastereds!:mad: :mad: :mad:
What the hell are you talking about? They didn't buy the franchise, they merely bought the right to develop a game for it. And they didn't trash it (not that it would have been any loss if they did - it's not like there's gonna be a Fallout 3 unless Bethesda makes it, since the rest of the universe doesn't care), they simply haven't finished the game (they're already working on two or three other titles, so they probably haven't even seriously begun working on it).

HammerHead said:
Bethesda are the basterds who bought the Fallout francise a few years ago, the went all around promising a "Fallout 3", and then, surprise surprise!, trushed it all!

Bastereds!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Um, INTERPLAY was the company that cancelled Fallout 3, along with the rumored Fallout: Tactics sequel, not Bethsoft - get mad at Interplay, not Bethesda Softworks. What happened afterward was, when Interplay declared bankruptcy, that Bethsoft bought the rights from Interplay to make a new Fallout game, but they've been working on finishing Oblivion and I doubt they've done more with the Fallout license than to maybe solicit concepts for a new Fallout game.

We may be more likely to see a WC game than a Fallout game, however, since WC at least sold better than Fallout 1 or 2 ever did.

Back