Nvidia and the X-box? Not so fast

As I said before, any chance of me getting a next-gen console is next to nil for now. But I just wanted to agree with Knight, I played with the Dual Shock at a friend's place, playing some WWII FPS, and I tried playing with the analogue controllers in the same way I play Goldeneye. The joysticks just felt too loose and soggy! I can feel all the PS owners groaning at me whining, but I'm just a sucker for the N64 controllers.

Well, I went back to that article to check his math on the 1/25 thing, but my browser's being funky, and won't load it, so I'll go off information from the top of my head. Last time I checked, the GameCube was going to push like 30 million fully rendered, etc. polys a second. That's alot fellas
smile.gif
The X-box is set to put out, oh, somewhere in the vicinity of like 300 million. Yes, in the millions. Now, that would be fine and dandy for MS, if 1. the computer technology wasn't going surpass it before it came out, which is going to happen, regardless of how many changes and last minute updates are made, 2. the GameCube and PS2 are goign to be out somewhere near a year before, and if Microsoft holds true to what they have in the past, it'll be longer than that.

In regards to the PS2 being basically a full home theatre (that's not what was said, just my summing up of it), I won't argue that, nor will I argue that the GameCube won't play DVDs. The thing is, how many people do you know have the hardware to copy mini-DVDs? Hell, there may not be that many now, but there will be enough in a year to may PS2's DVD format a piracy heaven. Mini's however, won't be so easily pirated. Sounds like smart business, rather than dumb mistake. From what I derive from that article, the graphics chip it's using will be either a scaled up or a streamlined Raedon from ATI. Now, with the comment of all the PS games being backwards compatible with the PS2. Now if you just went out and paid $300 bucks for a new console, you're going to take it home, rip it out of the packaging, set it up, and then throw in all the game's you've already beaten that you own? WTF? If (and When) I buy a new console, I'm going to at least buy one new game, possibly two designed FOR THAT SYSTEM, which will use it's capabilities, not the capabilities of the cheapest chip in it. That's madness. It's like buying the hottest, baddest, most expensive computer you can find, then playing Wing Commander 1 on it. Not that there's anything wrong with that
smile.gif
, it's just that when I get a new piece of hardware, i'm going to see waht it can do first, and play some of the stuff I couldn't before, not the stuff I've already beaten. Just because the PS2 is backwards compatible, doesn't mean it's automatically going to have a library of 100s of games. That's insane man! And BTW, what's wrong with playing Mario? I know he's been done to death, but he's what got alot of people, including myself, into computers and gaming alike. Hell, I'd dare to go as far and say that if it wasn't for Mario and Duckhunt on one cartriage, I might have not even cared much for video games
smile.gif

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knight says:
The thing is, how many people do you know have the hardware to copy mini-DVDs? Hell, there may not be that many now, but there will be enough in a year to may PS2's DVD format a piracy heaven. Mini's however, won't be so easily pirated.
Ah, yes... it's that old argument again. As I recall, that's exactly what people once said about CD-ROMs. They were wrong...

Sorry Knight those figures are messed up, firstly nintendo never released polygon figures except for expected ingame (6million for PS2 and 12million for Gamecube) so the idea of 300million polys per secound is ridiculous.
Also there will be 2 versions of the gamecube, one is a DVD player which costs extra
smile.gif

Knight: not everyone who buys a PS2 will have had a PS. IF they didn't then there is already hundreds of great video games that they have never tried. I never said that Mario and the like were not good video games, I said they needed more than them to compete. I was going by the article btw that said it would push 6-12 million to the X-box's 300 million and those are micropoly's if I remember right. If that is actually what either can actually push we won't know 'till both are released. Nintendo might not be able to release their cube as soon as they say anyway, there are almost always production problems. And haveing two versions of a console (not counting ones that come with another controller or game) is stupid. Console gamers despise add ons and they almost always fail. Plus the PS2 is a reality, its coming out very soon. Nothing on the Cube has actually be truly tested, everything are tech demos. So how long it will be until it is actually released and how many games is up in the air for now. PS2 will probably win simply because every PS owner will get one if they want a new console system because of PS2's backward compatabilty and great record for games for the older audience. The Cube will finish off the sega console if PS doesn't but i don't see either one controlling the market easily. HAve no idea about the X-Box since that will depend on its cost and what games comes with it.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

300 million is not a plausable figure, possibly for a raw poly count but in game on a system running NT don't expect too much.
The DVD isn't an add-on, there is the console and then there is a DVD player with a gamecube built in hyped as an entertainment system.
Nintendo have themselves, rare, silicon knights, konami, ubi soft, factor 5, namco etc etc
Finally the hardware has been completed, merely the design and games have to be finished, the chips will be completed before the year is out.

Too.......much.....tech....talk......

Head....hurting....brain...locking......

Lost....in....Tech....jargon......

* Holds his head while shaking....*

Maybe I just need to cut back to one cup of coffee a day.....

LOL Dogg.

Pedro: Well, 300 million was kinda out there. It was just something I pulled off the top of my head, I couldn't remember what the X-box was supposed to be shoving through. Something else to consider, they may be able to push that many, but think of the resolution they are running on. It's not like the high detail of a computer at 1024x800. I forget the resolution of the average TV, but it was somethign like 600x700 or somethign along those lines. not positive. A lot of pixels per second isn't anything, if you can't do them at a higher resolution. Now, PS2 is going to be HDTV ready, and I'm fairly certain Nintendo and the Xbox aren't going to overlook that little detail. That will help show some true comparison, when you jack up the resolution, and watch a few games faulter that will run flawlessly on a regular TV. Anyway, that's all I have to say for tonight. Laters.

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Personally I preffer the TV screen for games, gives it a kind of "real" feeling but I take you point. Oh and the X-box isn't looking to be that powerful in comparison
frown.gif
Although it will get a lot of PC ports (pointless for those with a PC)

Back