Nvidia and the X-box? Not so fast

Sonic98

Spaceman
A report was made earlier in the week saying that Microsoft would terminate it's X-Box contract with Nvidia if 3dfx could come out with a better video card by June 21, 2001. I doubut it will happen though. Around Thanksgiving time, the NV25 will be out. And by June 21, 2001, there is not telling what Nvidia will come out with.

Well, if the V5 can come out before that date they should use it. Though it's slightly slower than the new Geeforce cards, it'll have some cool things like FSAA.

The PC is the best thing for playing games. I don´t know what wrong with some people. The X-box, DC, PS (1&2), Nintendo are all shit
smile.gif

------------------
"Hasta la victoria siempre."
-El Che

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...until you see the specs on V5, then you'll be surprised.
And just FYI, V5 is being released on the shelves late this year-early next year.
They still have a few bugs to work out on the new FSAA (that will be great!).
Also, 3dfx is trying to perfect the 32-bit color palette on the video card. It's not easy, considering the V5 will be using 2 chips on one board.

I would love to see an Nvidia card with multiple chips. Just think of what the NV25 would be like if it had 4 chips like one of those ATI cards.

Metras said:
Well...until you see the specs on V5, then you'll be surprised.
And just FYI, V5 is being released on the shelves late this year-early next year.
They still have a few bugs to work out on the new FSAA (that will be great!).
Also, 3dfx is trying to perfect the 32-bit color palette on the video card. It's not easy, considering the V5 will be using 2 chips on one board.

Top of the line V5 will have 4 chips in a more advanced SLI mode. 128 MB of RAM too, last time I checked. Said the AGP slot couldn't supply enough power to run it, so it'll have it's own power supply. Don't know if that's still true or not, but that's the last I heard on the V5.

Sonic98 said:
I would love to see an Nvidia card with multiple chips. Just think of what the NV25 would be like if it had 4 chips like one of those ATI cards.

Uh, you've been misinformed. ATI's only got 2 chips. They say their new chip, the Radeon 256 will be powerful enough to challenge the GeFor2. They've still got a ways to go though, because they can't get the memory speed to match the speed of the chip. But I think they're working it out. I'm glad ATI's getting back into the gaming market, and not just centering on the budget chips and all-in-one packages.

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

ATI has alway sent out quality board which; unlike everyone else; last!

Well... I suppose I am out-dated with the old press releases. When I first read the press release for V5, it was two chips. I suppose they changed it to four since I last checked (which was many months ago).

How many chips does that make for the V4 then?

The V4 4500 has 1 chip, 32 megs of RAM, with fill rates at 333-367 megapixels/sec.

The V5 5000 is in PCI card only, (for reasons unseen, must be an addin card along the lines of the V2, but why? Anyway, it has 2 chips, and pumps 667-733 mps/sec.

The V5 5500 is AGP only, and has 64 MB Ram, dual chips, and pushes the same pixel rate as at V5 5000.

The V5 6000 has 128 MB of RAM, quad chip array, and will push 1.33 to 1.47 GIGApixels/sec. That's the one that'll also use it's own supply, due to the "un-prepared" AGP slot, which wasn't made to carry the voltage requirements of that card.

Source: http://www.maximumpc.com

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

Yow...
that' is one heavy duty card.
Hey! I guess I wasn't wrong about the two chip thing with V5. *shrugs*
biggrin.gif

I'd hate to resurrect a dead post, but this seems releveant to this topic, at least partially. Check out this link:
http://www.techextreme.com/display.asp?ID=200&Page=1 It's an awesome article describing the GameCube from nintendo (the Dolphin) and how it's going to blow the PS2 out of the water. The X-Box can beat it, if the tests are true, but it would seem that Microsoft's having a bit of trouble into making that into an actual selling product within the next year
smile.gif
Pity.........

------------------
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

[This message has been edited by Knight (edited September 06, 2000).]

Very interesting, I've only ever had Nintendo's stuff in the console department, the CD load times always annoyed me when I played at friend's places. But I'm dreaming again, as if I can afford any of the new generation consoles in the near future.

Yeah, I'm a Nintendo man myself. My brother bought an NES way back in like 87 or 88, and I kinda inheirited it, when he was out partying and drinking too much to play it
smile.gif
Then I got an SNES, Gameboy, N64, etc. Still have them all right now, along with a crapload of games. I need to sell them, but it's like killing an old friend, no?
smile.gif

------------------

It does look good but it has a few problems

1: Mini DVD can't play DVD movies like PS2 can.

2: No offical games announced yet (all were tech. demo's)

3: has 1/25th the graphical power of the X-Box (if both actually are released with what they are saying they can push)

4: the last and most important thing they have to prove is that they can put out enough games to keep teenagers and older gamers satisfied. N64 still lags behind PS because of its tendency to favor kiddie games. If they can't grab the Adult audience then they might slip further behind then they already have.

If they put out the great games (they gotta have something more than zelda and mario, N64 learned that lesson hard) though it will make the future of gaming consoles very interesting indeed.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Well, when you consider that Nintendo may have 1/25 the graphical power, it's still going to beat out the PS2, and it will be out a while before the Xbox is, I'm afraid. If you want to have a console that will last you forever, you're SOL, and if you want a console with complicated AI, complicated plots, and FPS style setup, you'd better think of something that they haven't already. To me, console's are for kids. Computers are what you get when you grow up and don't just want to play games. Sure, they're nice, no setup, no install, just pop in the game, and go. You're not going to find more adult oriented games on a console, until at least the X-box, if then. It just isn't happening. It's been said before, consoles are graphics boxes, that's what they are made for. Not for complicated AI procedures and programming. Outside of some of the bloodiest, and yet, simplist to run games, what complicated adult games does the PS have? Gran Turismo was pretty good, Resident Evil, wait, that was on N64, Tomorrow Never Dies....Wait, that was the scaled down version of Goldeneye......Hm.....Off the top of my head, I can't think of any really good adult orientent games for it. I might just be looking at the wrong spot or I may have forgotten some, (I don't own one, nor do I keep up on the older consoles, I only started reading about them when they started the "Consoles will kill computers" stuff.) That, and if you can beat the N64 controller, let me know. I've played with both, Dual Shock and the standard N64, and I'd take the N64, just for the fact it's not made for kid's hands. It's comfortable to hold, button placement was good, what more can you want?

------------------

But the PS2 is coming out before the Cube. Plus it can play virtually every PS game as well as its own. Nintendo will be lucky to launch with a dozen games. PS2 will already have a library of hundreds since it can play the PS games. I think it will be the winner simply because of the coverage, they have kiddie to adult level games, but nothing will beat the sheer variety of the computer. Unfort. the computer is not brain-dead simple to operate like a console, so its games will never have the audience of consoles. I think its sad that RPG'ers who think Final Fantasy is the greatest ever will never get a chance to play the Fallout or Planescape Torment games. They get crappy ports of fantastic sports games like High Heat Baseball. They might finally at least be getting good action games since System Shock 2 is being ported to the dreamcast. No Alpha Centauri for consolers. It's a tradeoff no matter where you go. Cheaper but simpler games, or much more expensive but wider variety. Can't have it both ways since the X-Box will NOT be a console computer. It will be a pure console system that will not be marrying the computer and the TV. That will have to wait I guess.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Firstly the idea that the gamecube will have 1/25th of the graphical power was a joke right or has someone really been feeding you that crap?
Many of the tech demos were from games known to be in production such as a new factor 5 game, mario, zelda and metroid games.
Also recently nintnedo has been aiming at the more mature gamers and this will continue with capcom and namco signing up as well as their new 2nd party Silicon Knights. The PS2 is allegedly VERY difficult to write for whereas the GameCube is not, already many 3rd party developers have announced they will not be making any games beyond what they have in rpoduction for the PS2.
Also this time round nintendo has good 3rd party support with just about everyone except square, add all these developers together with rare, nintendo and silicon knights you've got a very strong power (remember just nintendo and rare has kept the n64 afloat with a 2:3 ratio of 64:pSX).
Not to mention the specs and the amazing tech demos.
Don't forget the huge list of games in production woth looking at compared to the PS2, RE0, wave race, mario, zelda not to mention all the original titles.

Back