Nothing special

Earthworm said:
The only thing I liked about Phantom Menace were the visuals. The whole thing was Lucas trying to cash in on the success of the first three movies.

I think his vision and focused changed, and it wasn't so much a Cash thing (with the possible exception of JarJar being for kids.)I also wasn't thrilled with Jake Lloyd, but I think the kid had a tough role, some bad dialouge, and I honestly think bad direction. The movie doesn't stand very well on its own, but I think the next two will shore it up somewhat. Similiar in a fashion to WC Prophecy and that fact that it is incomplete in some ways. Yeah the initail threat is gone, but what comes next is going to be worse.

The fight scenes kicked ass though. Makes the ones from the first three movies look kinda lame.

Lucas also is somewhat stuck in that everyone knows, to some extent, what is going to happen in these movies. That is still no excuse for JarJar, though.

[This message has been edited by Shane (edited June 09, 2000).]

Shane said:
I think his vision and focused changed, and it wasn't so much a Cash thing (with the possible exception of JarJar being for kids.)I also wasn't thrilled with Jake Lloyd, but I think the kid had a tough role, some bad dialouge, and I honestly think bad direction.
Those things, pluse this kid being such a hero. OK, so the force is strong with him or whatever, but how the hell does he survive in the battle when he can't control his fighter because it's stuck on autopilot, and how does he take out an entire ship all by himself. Oh, and the battle droids sucked.
The movie doesn't stand very well on its own, but I think the next two will shore it up somewhat. Similiar in a fashion to WC Prophecy and that fact that it is incomplete in some ways.
Prophecy isn't exactly complete, but IMO it stands by itself much better than this movie.
Yeah the initail threat is gone, but what comes next is going to be worse.
But we can all prety much figure out what'll happen. Senator Palpatine will become the evil emperor, either in the middle, or by the end of the second movie Anakin will be pulled to the dark side, and at the begining of the third movie he'll openly betray the Rebels and lead the Sith (or whatever it's called) to kill all Jedi Knights. If this was the first movie, than yes the knowledge of everything going to hell would be good, but I can prety much imagine the whole story from the next two movies.

The fight scenes kicked ass though. Makes the ones from the first three movies look kinda lame.
The last one looked great but I didn't like the one on Tatooine.

Lucas also is somewhat stuck in that everyone knows, to some extent, what is going to happen in these movies. That is still no excuse for JarJar, though.
Damn straight.
smile.gif
Lucas will have to publicly apologise for Jar Jar to the whole world.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rather liked TPM, though I liked WC better. Yes, the ending of TPM is a bit... off... but other than that, it was a perfectly good movie. And I don't think that Lucas was trying to cash in on anything. He just wanted to fill in the blanks.

And Jar-Jar isn't that bad, if you pretend he's not there
smile.gif
. He's actually just a really neat way to show off what they can do with CGI these days. At least, that's the way I look at it.

Earthworm: Aye, you did
smile.gif
. Several times in fact - generally speaking, every time someone used Bossman's death as a reason for the Movie not belonging to the universe.
smile.gif

Every writer makes mistakes, even the mighty Quarto.
smile.gif
Besides, what's a few grammar mistakes when you get a lot more action.
The not-at-all-mighty Quarto isn't a published writer
smile.gif
. He's allowed to make mistakes. Besides, this isn't mistakes I'm talking about. His sentence construction is just so annoying.
I love those. It's only because of those books that I was able to pass my history class.
<Chuckles> Well, he goes too far. I mean, the way he used that whole water-tower thing
smile.gif

Dralthi5: Historical analogies are fine, to a point. Hell, my story is not without a certain historical... well, not quite an analogy, but something
smile.gif
. I'm not too surprised though, that so far only Matrix has figured it out. After all, American history doesn't discuss WWI in the Middle East all that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... its surprising how international WC is... and yet... the big things like WWII are murmured, and yet sometimes not spoken at all, in other places

Back