Not enough bytes...

Steelflight

Spaceman
Having a bit of a problem...I've just gotten Wing Commander 2, Deluxe edition, and I can't play it, because I only have around 549k free...and it needs 583k to run. I know jack about computers....so any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

We need to know your system profile.. the contents of your config.sys and autoexec.bat. My first suggestion is to always unload CD drivers.

Are you running it from within Windows or from pure DOS?
In any case post your config.sys, your autoexec.bat and the result of a "mem /c" command.
(enter "mem /c >c:\mem.txt" and then copy the contents of mem.txt which you will find on c:\ here)

I'm running it straight out of DOS.

Here is the config.sys
REM To make a DOS Boot Diskette; See the file C:\DOSBOOT\DOSBOOT.TXT

REM Configure the ISA PNP devices
rem device=c:\icu\dwcfgmg.sys

DOS=HIGH,UMB
buffershigh=10
fcbshigh=4
fileshigh=30
lastdrivehigh=Z
stackshigh=9,256
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.Sys /testmem:eek:ff

rem The following line will get you more ram, but no EMS
rem Device=C:\WINDOWS\Emm386.exe RAM NOEMS
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Emm386.exe RAM

DEVICE=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.SYS /D:IDECD000

I don't know of a way to copy and paste from DOS, so if you know of a way I can do that, that'd be great.

I really appreciate the help guys....like I said I know squat about 'puters.

Paste your autoexec.bat file too - lots of stuff load up there as well. Also, if you can, paste the contents of the "mem" (I think mem /all ) command - pipe it to a file and paste it when you get back into Windows.

Originally posted by Steelflight
DEVICE=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.SYS /D:IDECD000
Are you using the CD when playing the game? If not, add REM to the start of this line.

Originally posted by Steelflight
I don't know of a way to copy and paste from DOS, so if you know of a way I can do that, that'd be great.
You mean DOS screen output, eg from mem? Just type "mem /c > mem.txt" and paste the resulting text file here.

A friend of mine brought over his old computer, and I tried it on there, and it works perfectly!!!

Thanks again for the help that everyone offered. The next time I need help with something like this, hopefully I'll be able to provide more information...

Back