No Maniac in the WC Encyclopedia?

Loonicrous

Spaceman
Looking at the Encyclopedia, a great piece of work with lots of information, there's no entry for Maniac Marshall in the characters section. It's like forgetting Chewie in a list of Star Wars characters. I realize it's probably a work in progress, but there are some obscure characters who have entries, such as:

Sanchez:

"Sanchez is a pilot who graduated from the same class as Christopher Blair. "

Hmm, is it because he was played by Matthew Lillard? :p

How about this for Manic:

Todd "Maniac" Marshall:

The Maniac is the oldest serving Major in the known galaxy :D

The editors probably haven't finished with him yet. There is an obscene amount of stuff in the Sunnie database to work through, and the 5000+ bits of information there barely scratches the surface of the immense beast that is the WCU. I'd hate to think how a similar project might be done for Star Wars and all its differing levels of 'canonicity'. :eek: (Yeah, I know that isn't a word.)

It's because the small characters take 13 seconds to write an entry for from the notes we have in the system. The bigger characters take a long time, though. It took Chris, like, five hours to write the Geoff Tolwyn entry. I mean, Chris is really slow at everything, but it still takes a long time to make sure things are all there, the text is coherent and you didn't miss anything important.

overmortal said:
I want a copy of the poster that Casey was throwing the ball at.
I once took a snapshot of that because he just looked so silly. But then, I also drew all sorts of impolite things on that picture too. :)

Yeah.. in fact, Tolwyn and Blair are about the only "primary" characters that entries exist for so far. Each one does take at least a few hours to compile because we're taking dozens and dozens of sources and references and putting them together into one (semi)coherent piece. The Tolwyn writeup there is 2500 words.. If you were composing text at a constant 30 words per minute, it'd still take an hour and a half to write that bio. And we're not doing them at 30 words per minute because we're checking and crosschecking references and pieces of notes we have in our database. We need to think about overlapping sources, go back and rewrite awkward things and so on. Most of the staff has been burned out from 16 hour workdays leading up to the birthday and will probably just try to catch up on their lives through the rest of the month until DragonCon. In my case, in addition to the few hours I spend daily working on the CIC, I attend university and go to work full time as well. So yeah, as much as I'd like to find four or five hours to write a Maniac Bio.. I have a 25 page paper due in my advanced international relations class next week that will probably take precedence, among other things. And after that it's all DragonCon till September.

I can write a Maniac bio if someone really wants one.

I also have the actual poster Casey was throwing things at.

I'm so great (G)

I... have no idea. It's basically just a big glossy photo of Maniac which he signed. I guess there's probably some way to make nice copies of it.

Back