Next Year, in the TCS Jerusalem (April 26, 2006)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Joe Garrity of the Origin Museum has sent us some exciting pictures of rare foreign Wing Commanders! Specificially, an Israeli copy of Wing Commander 2 and Chinese versions of WC1, SM1, SO1 and SO2! These Chinese releases are fascinating just in how they work: they're jewel cases designed to hold 5.25" disks (picture below)! The most exciting part, though, is the disk artwork (final image). Is that something from a slush pile... or is it original Chinese Wing Commander art? If so, what is it? Post your theories to the forums! Thanks, Joe! The covers:

... and then a sample of the contents:

--
Original update published on April 26, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, I never noticed that before. On the back of the WC2 box they have you blowing up WC1 style Dralthi's. I guess that never quite made it into the game.

The most exciting part, though, is the disk artwork (final image). Is that something from a slush pile... or is it original Chinese Wing Commander art?

Talk about nostalgia. I've owned various SoftWorld translated releases in the good ol' days. In these packages everything bar the software itself is translated into Chinese.

They have a tendency to use random clipart on the disk labels and sleeves - and that little bit of art at the corner of the disk label is no exception. Sorry to burst anybody's bubbles!

Hmm, that final image is pretty awesome though. Very well done but have no idea what it is exactly. Would be interesting to find out the backstory behind it.

Talk about nostalgia. I've owned various SoftWorld translated releases in the good ol' days. In these packages everything bar the software itself is translated into Chinese.

They have a tendency to use random clipart on the disk labels and sleeves - and that little bit of art at the corner of the disk label is no exception. Sorry to burst anybody's bubbles!

I stumbled across this news clipping while looking for cover images to upload to the WCPedia. Can you read Chinese? As best as I could make out from Google, the original title is translated into something like Galaxy Flyer, and Vengeance of the Kilrathi becomes Imperial Counteroffensive. (The Empire Strikes Back?)

Yes, and your google translations are pretty much correct. I would say that Wing Commander = "Galatic Flight Commander".

Back