Next Wing Commander Game

Eh, it was a general smartass reference to the previous two posts going in a bad direction. I guess I should probably just sit back and watch when things like that happen, though.

Wing Commander is perhaps the original "summer blockbuster" game.

I cant see Wing Commander being revisted by EA in any other form. Though you can bet there wont be any FMV to be seen. I also dont see the chris roberts assosiation being a problem. The high budget, highly publicised and hugely successful releases of grand theft auto: san andreas and halo 2 this xmas seems to point to a resurgance of cinematic "event" gaming. EA will definatly look at Wing Commander in the future for a new product. I dont think the time is right just yet, maybe with the next generation of consoles. One can only wait and see...

overmortal said:
Eh, it was a general smartass reference to the previous two posts going in a bad direction.

I didn't see you derailing the train of stupids with that post.

Guys, please accept this as an apology for the less than intelligent post a few days back - I'm obviously still not old enough to placidly accept dreamy-eyedness and ignorance of the rest of a post.

So let's get back on track or close this (otherwise very productive) thread.

it is much like the music industry these days.

instead of the target audience, go for the popular crowd and hypes, cash your money and get out, let fan nr. 2124564 not comment on the product because it is prenounced hot and must-have...

damn, i wannabee somebody!

Conrad said:
EA will definatly look at Wing Commander in the future for a new product.
I've got to disagree with you and be the negative nanny here I'm afraid. EA has so many successful franchises that are coming out with new editions every year, like Madden. Why would EA even risk bring back a new game from an old series from a genre that appears to be dying out. The only way I could see WC coming back would be for EA to sell the liscence to a smaller company, who would be willing to take on a project like this, since they wouldn't be engrosed with other major series. Right now, all the WC fans out there can do is sit back and keep doing what they're doing, keeping WC alive until it can rise up again.

At some point, types of games stop selling. In 1994, Ultima fans were up in arms because Wing Commander was selling well and it was taking Origin's priorities away from their games. Now we have the exact opposite situation - Ultima Online is big and Wing Commander isn't. That, too, shall change.

Need for speed was dying on its arse, at the turn of the century...

look at it now.

EA is sitting on an incredible amount of intellectual property... it is not ignorant of that fact. Times change, products change, need for speed was changed from a supercar arcade driving game to a gritty underground racing game. A massively successful rebirth of a stagant game that had lost out to games like gran turismo in the late 90s.

So, when will this big teeter totter swing back in favor of Wing Commander. I'm sad to say that I can't see it happening in the near future as long as big online games such as Ultima are the big titles coming out, with Space Sims being pushed to the back. I can't even find Space Sims in my local EB, they just aren't around anymore...or so it seems at any rate :( .

In the mid-90's, there was a toss-up between mediocre FPS-es, racing games, and strategy games, and FMV-based adventure games were the big thing. Then along came Command and Conquer and Warcraft II, and there was a massive trend-shift toward real-time strategy games, so much so that RTSes virtually forced turn-based strategy games out of the mainstream market (what little they had of it), effects which are still felt today.

In another example: Flight sims were the big thing in '98, and then practically vanished until 2003 when IL-2 popped up, and a small resurgence has occured--mainly consisting of really good games, like Flight Simulator 2004 and Combat Flight Sim and the various IL-2 expansions, and real trash. With any luck, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (or whatever they're calling it now) could give our genre the jump-start that Freelancer failed to do.

So, when will this big teeter totter swing back in favor of Wing Commander. I'm sad to say that I can't see it happening in the near future as long as big online games such as Ultima are the big titles coming out, with Space Sims being pushed to the back. I can't even find Space Sims in my local EB, they just aren't around anymore...or so it seems at any rate.

It's hard to predict the future -- it's the surprises that shape the industry. They predicted Ultima Online could have something like 2,000 subscribers... it hit big and now massively multiplayer games are a huge portion of the PC market. Someone will release a space game that sells big because it's somehow unique... or something will happen that makes the public conscious more interested in space... or some other type of game will 'bring back the joystick' and make the big companies willing to develop 'stick shooters again. There's lots of ways it could happen -- we just don't know when.

WC has big shoes to fill. Even if they start making space combat sims again, it would have to be something reasonable to even make EA consider. A smaller company would perhaps be easier to be persuade. But EA is too big and the market for this kind of game is too small.

Consider other space combat sims not Wing Commander - Frontier, Star Crusader, Renegade, Freelancer. Most didn't do very well. So there was never an audience that big to begin with. WC appealed not only to an specific genre fan, but to pretty much everyone. That includes people that wouldn't normally play that kind of game. While this was good in the past, right now it isn't helping WC.

We can't predict the future. PC RPG games were pretty much done by a certain time, until there was a big revival with Baldur’s Gate. They are always looking for new things. And think about the consoles. It would be nice to have a WC game developed for more than one platform.

in the past, PC computer games were not for the general public.

space sim have a specific target audience indeed, a new wc might not have a big market percentage now as in the past, but it would sell more copies in numbers i'm sure.

also, commerce itself would like you to pay your money, play with it some, throw it away and go for the next big thing, hence they make more money, and not have to support a product they released years ago.

now, if my "WC exodus" or whatever they'd call it was supported for ten years i\d pay double money for it, to me it would be worth it.

It seems to me that if you had a PC in the early 90s and knew your way around DOS, chances are you've played Wing Commander.

Even my parents knew about Wing Commander and they never were too big on computer games.

That's what my experience has shown me anyway (and not just from this community, cause it would be kind of silly to state that about a Wing Commander community)

to us mighty 286-owners with VGA wing commander was the ultimate back then.
as priorities came in high school, number 1 was girls, number 2 was music, number 3 was wing commander.

but that was a different era, this is now. the greatest musicians today don't even have to create demo tapes or play filthy bars, they just have to compete in idols, or american idol.

Man, you've got your priorities backwards. It goes Wing Commander, Wing Commander music and then... just regular girls, I guess.

sm2girl.gif

Her?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back