New Ship Class

Do you like the design?

• Yes it looks cool and fits to the discribtion

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Well...yes and no...its ok.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No...change this and that (please post what to change)

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

gevatter Lars

Vice Admiral
Well I know you don't like fanmade ships and well LOAF normaly likes to talk everyone who makes something new into the groud...so if you don't like new ideas or just some ART then leave this topic immediately!
Thanks

So now what its all about...
I have been asked from some people to make a new ship for there Wing Commander RPG so they can better imagin what there main ship looks like and what it can do.
I have taken a look at theire discription (just words no drawings) and made this one.

The Picture show the MSS Light of Murada, a Battlecruiser. Its a mix of a cruiser and a carrier...similar to the Waterloo class cruisers of WC2. Some kind of multipurpuse ship that can get into a battle and provide the rest of the fleet with descant firepower and a small fighter support. Like the Midway its a stand alone battleship, but quite smaller and without that many fighters.
It's some kind of modern varation of the same basic design as the Waterloo, but during the WC P timeline. Its based on the Plunkett class cruiser and the Waterloo mixed with the WC P stile of shipdesign.

And now here's the picture
298.jpg

I know It still needs textures so don't tell me that it needs textures..ok?

LOAF normaly likes to talk everyone who makes something new into the groud

I'm not sure what you're saying -- I love fan ships. I used to play around with them in the Aces.

@Loaf...do we have 2 loafs here???
I thought you where it who complaind about a ships someonel else where making...sorry when I mixed up the names
*slams head against a wall; bad brain ba brain*
Realy sorry about that.

@Iceblade
Very nice. Not a half bad design, but where did you get that class name from?
Is this sarkasm?...got still problems with that when not speaking in my native language.
Beside that, what is it that you say its only half bad...whats wrong, any sugestions about changes?

MSS Light of Murada is the name of the ship, not the class...still need a name for the class. XYZ Battlecruiser class.

Anyone got a name for this class?

At first glance I thought the name had come of Lord of the Rings. Sorry, my eyes mistake.

Usually the name of the class is based on the 1st ship to begin production of that type.

In some cases the 1st ship to begin production isn't the 1st one completed because the 1st ship-in-production has to undergo some developmental problems that the 1st-to-be-completed doesn't have to go through. The problems that occur slows down the production of the 1st to be prduced and doesn't slow down production of the 1st that is completed.

Sorry if the this bit of information isn't well written. It is just something to consider in the 'naming of the class' process.

Well I have got the name for the class now from the RPG
Vengance class battlecruiser.

Well the first ship of the class is the Light, but from the story it was renamed to Light of Murada, after they bought the ship and modified it...the hugh plasmacannon wasn't there in the first design ^__^

SWEEEET!!!!!!!!

you just got one thing wrong.....that ain't no battlecruiser...that's a goddamn BATTLESHIP :D

just a suggestion, but you might want to add some lasers that can shoot forwards for anti-fighter/anti-torpedo defense; she's kinda limited in that area

so, where's the hanger and how many fighters does she carry? and do you have any stats yet?

Well thought about lasers in the front, but got problems that the bigger turrets will shoot them away...so I left them.
Well every ship has its weak spot...so this is her weak spot.

Hangarbays are left end right side from the main body (would be much clearer when hangardoor textures would be there.)
There are the startingbays...landingsbays are under it and you came in from the rear. (Like Midway or Hades class)

About stats..well I haven't got any yet...have to wait what Infos I become from the RPG.

Any suggestions about stats?

@Iceblade
I mean Lunchers sure...that catapult type one....mixed up the languages a little bit.
Why I don't use just the Tube system? Well these system (Hangarlike not the tubes) provides you with additional landing possibilities if the normal landingbays are damaged.
That is what I thought....

@Aries
Well the ship is allready a little bit overpowered, but more imported is that it will maybe be converted to work ingame (I am also working on that WC->FS2 mod.)
Problem with the engine is that turrets wont work at a special angle to the hull. So I could place turrets there, but they wouldn't be there ingame and also...it looks much better without them ^__^
Just give it much more armor at the front section. Beside that, why can it carry fighters, they are there to shoot down these torpedos befor they hit the ship ^__^

Where do you mean exactly...maybe copy the picture and draw them where you want them...would make thinks much clearer then any words.

Uuuhhhh!!!!!

Man, I can't upload any pictures it seems. Paint files are always over a megabyte big.

Well, just have the turret-a dual turret-on the very front surface of the bow-the bigger surface.

That ship looks great, but I think it's WAAAY to overpowered, no matter how bad-ass you want it to be (I mean, come on, it's got FIVE huge Plunkett-like turrets, a Cerberus-like plasma gun, and more regular turrets than the Midway? Please).

Personally, I'd give it half the ammount of normal turrets (4 on the nose, 1 between the three big guns on top, 4 around the bridge, 2 around the central engine and 3 in the bottom view) and then I'd add one turret at the front (in the big angled face that looks like the bow of a boat from side view... right below what looks to be the intended place for a row of windows).

Apart from that, the only suggestion I have is that you rework the area below the front launchers - there's 3 big triangles there that make a very pointy edge, which IMHO ruins the convincing high-detail look of the ship. Here, let me try a more visual approach:

Attachments

• superdupership.jpg
    superdupership.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 59
I didn't pay much attention to that. Good suggests Eder.

Those triangles, Eder, are a good suggestion.

About the idea of Eder...thats realy a good one...will try to change that.

About the # of weapons...the Plunket-like turrets, they aren't the same as the Plunket, just 3 barraled laser turrets agains other caps. Beside that I think its ok...remeber the number of weapons mentioned in the novels? The Claw with ...what was it...30 torpedo tubes?
The turrets that where in the WC games where just the Anti-Cap-Turrets. Here we have the ACT and anti-fighter-turrets so it looks like more then in the WC games...thats because they wheren't shown ingame.
But I know what you mean..I think I will take away some turrets...maybe 4-6 from the front....4 from the side and some of the rear firing one.
When I have got the time I will show you.

gevatter Lars said:
About the idea of Eder...thats realy a good one...will try to change that.
Glad I could help :)

gevatter Lars said:
About the # of weapons...the Plunket-like turrets, they aren't the same as the Plunket, just 3 barraled laser turrets agains other caps.
Whew, what a relief! :p

gevatter Lars said:
Beside that I think its ok...remeber the number of weapons mentioned in the novels? The Claw with ...what was it...30 torpedo tubes?
The turrets that where in the WC games where just the Anti-Cap-Turrets. Here we have the ACT and anti-fighter-turrets so it looks like more then in the WC games...thats because they wheren't shown ingame.
Ah, that's what I thought. If you're using this model for pre-rendered animations and stuff like that, then the current number of turrets is good enough. I thought you were going to use that model in-game... so when/if you use it in-game, you might want to consider changing this (maybe remove less turrets than I suggested earlier, since I was thinking the big turrets were like the Plunkett's).

Back