New Retro Portable Runs WC3 (October 20, 2022)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Wingnuts have a long history of trying to get Wing Commander games to run on portable devices, and here's a neat new addition to that list! Normal_Andy has taken several photos of Wing Commander 3 running on the KeepRetro MIYOO-Mini V2 device. It's a cute GameBoy-style handheld with a dual core 1.2 GHz ARM Cortex-A7 processor and a 640x480 2.8" screen. At $64, it's almost worth it just to be able to carry WC3 with you wherever you go! We'll see if I can talk AD into buying one!

For comparison, here's other fans getting Wing Commander games running on a GPWD Win, nVidia Shield, Pandora, Android device and even a Nintendo DS!

Ok now I'm really impressed

--
Original update published on October 20, 2022

The Miyoo Mini is an exceptional device. I'd recommend the retroid pocket 2+ over it though if you're not looking for something small to pocket carry. It has a much more powerful soc and is still just under $100. I mean, you can put the 2+ in your pocket, but you can do the same to the gpd win 2. They're at the very upper end of what I would consider pocketable. Not to mention the pocket 2+ will run super wing commander on the 3do and has enough performance to play wc2 in dosbox easily. It can boot into android as well its custom linux os. If you want the Miyoo Mini I would recommend picking one up now though. The Miyoo official ali express store has stopped selling them.

The best pocket wing commander player has to be the gpd win 2. Hands down. No question. But those are about $300-$400. But with one of those you can play Prophecy, Secret Ops, Unknown Enemy, Standoff, Saga, Privateer Gemini Gold, and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. Probably even flat universe and maybe Arena. I've never tried Arena myself. I might look into seeing how to mod my 360 one day and get Arena off of it. I hear Xenia has made some great strides. Though I don't know if the win 2 has the power to emulate the 360 well enough. Might need the steam deck for that one.

Last edited:
Back