New HUD Target Images

perhaps you did not overwrite the appropriate files--make sure you get confirmation for overwriting the hud images...
they affect what appears when you target a ship--IMHO they look worse because the camera isn't properly lined up but they are top views of the ships...
eventually we may get good looking topview pix...or if someone is intrepid and wants to make line art versions just like the old hud images that would be fantastic--esp for the new per-armor facing damage stats in priv 1.1 which will be released sometmie

hellcatv said:
if someone is intrepid and wants to make line art versions just like the old hud images that would be fantastic--esp for the new per-armor facing damage stats in priv 1.1 which will be released sometime
I don't have much time for testing anymore, but that sounds like something I could have fun with...

What sort of image format are we taking abuot here? I'm a fairly skilled 2D AutoCAD user, and this sounds like a perfect AutoCAD job, with different colors and lineweights, to be exported to a raster image.

If you tell me a file format/resolution and get me screen captures from the original, I'll draw. Would we need multiple images of the entire wireframe, with all possible combinations of damage colors, or would each section of ship get its own image?

well definitely save the files as lossless vector art in whatever format you want...
but then export them to 256x256 png (so it looks good at 256x256 or 128x128)
we would love to have the line art back--specially with the damaged components feature we've made for 1.1

then send us both your 2d autocad files and the exported png screenshots (transparent for background, green/yellow/whatever for lines

make one sample and we'll try it for you in game

https://cdn.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/dosbox04.gif

that's an example drayman--course we don't like the blocky pixels from the original game screenshots...
and the engine needs to draw on the shields

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'll draw the undamaged Drayman without shields and see how it goes.

Is 4-way armor damage implemented in 1.1?

Talking about 4-way damage... I loved to watch as the enemy's shields dropped after several clean hits in the back... Sometimes only their aft part got damaged, but that was devastating since that is the most sensitive part of ships. Do you also plan to implement hit-location based damage of internal systems like shields, maneuvering jets, and so on (for player and non-player ships as well)?

well we already have this occurring internally in the engine (you can damage enemy parts just as your parts can get damaged)

however--we are working out a way to display this on the VDU

Check these out:

Attachments

• Broadsword.png
    Broadsword.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Centurion.png
    Centurion.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 152
And these:
(Hellcat, I can't figure out how to remove the white; hopefully you can do that without too much trouble...)

Attachments

• Demon.png
    Demon.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Dralthi.png
    Dralthi.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 133
Can you make the green lines a bit thicker for Tasus, Talon and Refinery? Also the planet should get thicker green lines (the blue as thick as the green).
Then cargo hud images are needed :)

John Cordell said:
Can you make the green lines a bit thicker for Tasus, Talon and Refinery?
Almost every line in those three images is green; to which coolr green are you referring? Also, the line thickness in those three images is the same thickness as all of the other lines in all of the other images, so I don't see why it should change. Attached is a comparison of the original Talon and the new Talon. All of the lineweights in the original are equal, so I'm not going to change the new image.

Also the planet should get thicker green lines (the blue as thick as the green).
That I can do.

Then cargo hud images are needed :)
I sent you an email through the forum software about a week ago regarding those images, and have received no response.

Attachments

• talon.png
    talon.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 161
JKeefe said:
Almost every line in those three images is green; to which coolr green are you referring? Also, the line thickness in those three images is the same thickness as all of the other lines in all of the other images, so I don't see why it should change. Attached is a comparison of the original Talon and the new Talon. All of the lineweights in the original are equal, so I'm not going to change the new image.

I sent you an email through the forum software about a week ago regarding those images, and have received no response.

I've attached an example image. I've got almost all hud images with those thick green lines only the tarsus, talon and refinery have thin lines, i need them to have thick lines too so that they all look the same on your target monitor.

Haven't received any email, please send it to jc [dot] ad [at] gmx [dot] net :)

Attachments

• thick.png
    thick.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 146
John Cordell said:
I've attached an example image. I've got almost all hud images with those thick green lines only the tarsus, talon and refinery have thin lines, i need them to have thick lines too so that they all look the same on your target monitor.
Well, that's weird. Are those screenshots or did you cut and paste from the game art files? The reason I ask is that the lines on that Demon and Gladius are much thicker than I have originally drawn them. My originals are attached below; maybe the resolution scaling in-game is affecting the Tarsus, Talon, and Refinery images differently? My originals certainly have much thinner lines than the versions you posted...

Haven't received any email, please send it to jc [dot] ad [at] gmx [dot] net :)
You've got mail, thanks.

Attachments

• Demon.png
    Demon.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Gladius.png
    Gladius.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 122
Back