New here - and my opinion on the future of WC

galaxyfire

Spaceman
Hi, I'm galaxyfire and I'm a WC fan who has played all the games (except for 4 and Secret Ops). I really love WC, and think it's not dead. I'm sure EA doesn't plan to continue it, and neither does Roberts, but games have been cropped before and picked up years later by another company. So instead of being pessimistic, let's be patient :)

galaxyfire said:
So instead of being pessimistic, let's be patient.

Yeah, and let's not endlessly squabble over how EA's evil 'cause they won't re-release Kilrathi Saga. I'm looking in certain people's directions.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited June 29, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of all the WC games... Why would you want Acadamy, arguably the worst game of the series (definately the most boring IMHO)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Oh, there were a few neat things about Academy. Of course, in the end it was really just a simulator that should have been a part of WC2.

That's a great idea. Release one of the two most difficult WC games to get running on modern computers and have no one in EA tech support who can effectively support DOS games... That wouldn't be a problem at all.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Since Armada and Privateer are based upon a memory manager that is not compatable with windows, it would take way more work than its worth to make the games work in windows. It would require rebuilding large parts of the games.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

TC... chill. If it wasnt obvious, I knew and know very little about Armada (couldnt even get the name right...) so dont flatten me for not knowing that it has technical problems. Besides, there is still a possibility of getting it working. Most of us can still stumble around in DOS pretty well, and if it got enough support someone might actually write a memory manager that is Win9x compatible. Then again, maybe Im dreaming.

Havent gotten a copy of Armada yet. What's it like?

It reminds me a bit of Star Control I, if you remember that game, except that fighting is in first person view instead of an over view. It also has multiplayer options via modem, lan (sort of) and split screen.

Why do you think that EA or Roberts have droped Wing Commander Series?

-ICEMAN

------------------
...As long they dont piss me off!

Moving on to greener pastures, I suppose. EA and Origin's got Ultima and Roberts has Digital Anvil.

There's no more room, it seems, for Wing Commander.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited July 05, 2000).]

You are right about Academy.
I still can't get it to work.
It just sits there and collects dust.

[This message has been edited by Eddie2u (edited July 06, 2000).]

Ultima is just a series there working on at the moment but there will be new wing commanders in time.

-ICEMAN

------------------
...As long they dont piss me off!

ICEMAN said:
Ultima is just a series there working on at the moment but there will be new wing commanders in time.

-ICEMAN

I thought EA dropped the series already?
confused.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
ICEMAN said:

Or we're hoping, at any rate.

------------------

I'm waiting for the day when EA and ORIGIN will say, "We fooled you! We were working on a new Wing Commander game the entire time! Here's a free copy! Hell, here's a giant bag of money, too. Enjoy!"

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

[This message has been edited by WildWeasel (edited October 20, 2000).]

Really? I'm not actually too eager to see that day. At least right now, I know that I'm only slightly insane. But if I see Origin giving us a free game and a bag of money, then... well, let's face it. Then I know that I've gone completely and utterly... bonkers.

Back