New Film

The Wing Commander movie is set shortly before the events in WC1. IMO, if you don't go looking for all the nits to pick (Ships in both the movie and game looking different, and stuff like that) it's an enjoyable flick. Oscar material, no, but far better than pretty much any other game-based movie out there, again IMO.

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

Last edited by a moderator:
People have different tastes, so I say just see the movie and form your own opinion. I liked it, many WC fans did too and it's definetly worth seing. Go for it.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

Though the movie would have been better if it had the traitor plot in it... (Anyone have a script with that part intact?)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

I loved the movie. IMO, like Death said, Oscar material - no, but far better than any other game-based flick.

And I'll take it one step further and say that the only movie with better combat of that type is SW VI:RotJ.

The acting was fine, the plot was acceptable... Maybe a little better writing and a more fulfilling ending would've made it truly rule.

It most deinately warrants a sequel. And with the profits it's made, it certainly does seem pissible.

------------------
Hats off to the new-age hairstyle made of bones,
Hats off to the use of hats as megaphones...

-Frosty

Glad to hear it's "pissible" Frosty.
smile.gif

Go get the movie, it's worth it. But you may be a little dissipointed the first time you watch it if your expecting it to follow the WC series to the last detail. Just go back and watch it later and I'm sure you'll see it to be a little better.

------------------
They've got use surrounded. Poor bastards.
http://www.sballiance.com/cgi-bin/UBBCGI/Ultimate.cgi
Try it. What could it hurt.

the movie is good. it follows more closely to WCATV than the games, but it never distracts from the enjoyment of the film.

------------------
Meson
Fleet Commander Homepage

Wing Commander is not just a game. It's a lifestyle.

finally seen the film, thought it was bloody good. sorry for not putting any thing up for a while but have been very busy at work.

Death said:
Oscar material, no, but far better than pretty much any other game-based movie out there, again IMO.

I thought Mortal Kombat wasn't bad. MK: Annihilation, on the other hand, ugh... But, yes, Wing Commander was better (but I'm biased).

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

I haven`t seen the movie (yet) but I`ve read the book based on it (now that`s a first, I think
smile.gif
) and I thought it was pretty well written, and managed to capture the essence of the WC universe, the darkness and cynicism.
If the movie is anything like the book I think it would be worth seeing.

Well, unlike the book the movie doese't have the traitor subplot, with the CO of the Pegasus station and all that. But the movie does make up for that.

Uh, regarding the traitor subplot. In one of the earliest scenes of the movie, we see a comm officer sitting in front of a radar screen. As the little red blips appear on the radar, he gets up and walks away... but he obviously doesn't report this to anyone, because the station is taken by surprise...
So, was I just imagining things, or is this supposed to be a "stand-in" traitor subplot?

Erm, it's been a long time since you've seen the movie, right? The red blips apear after the radar guy goes away. That thing isn't a part of the traitor sub-plot. They didn't detect the Kilrathi earlier because, like explained in the movie novel, the Kilrathi captured/destroyed the forward patrols, and they send false signals back to Pegasus.

On a related note, did anyone else notice that the sound the radar makes is the same as the sound when you open the PAD (or was that when you go to customs?) in P2?

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited March 15, 2000).]

Anyone in the US got a copy of the movie's book they'd be willing to let me borrow for about a week? I could read it twice by then, so I'd be happy. I want to hear the story of the traitor sub-plot, in full version, not the skimpped summaries I've heard here (no offense to the writers of those summaries
smile.gif
).

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Striking a man down with your blade is clean and honorable. Shooting him in the back from the darkness of an alley and hurrying to blame it on another was something else altogether.--Darth Vader

Earthworm: Months
smile.gif
. It still could be a part of the traitor subplot (he goes away, because otherwise he'd have to report seeing blips). But you should notice that I didn't actually say it was a part of the t. subplot, but rather a "stand-in" for it. Ie., something thrown in in lieu of the subplot.

need to know more about this traitor sub-plot, please put more posting up to let me know more about this. plus can any body tell me where i can find a copy of the book in the UK? any help would be greatly appreciated!

More traitor subplot eh? OK.

First, when we see the Kilrathi atacking the Pegasus, the CO of that station is a Pilgrim traitor that coperates with the Kilrathi. Now, when Blair and Angel are on the patrol later in the movie, and are hiding in the asteroids Merlin (Blairs holographic assistant) detects signals that were used by Pilgrims. When they get back to the 'Claw the Captain is pissed at Blair for letting the cats detect Blair and Angel, and dismises Blair's claims about the Pilgrim signals. Later when the Diligent goes to capture the Kilrathi ConCom ship and Blair goes inside because Merlin detected the signals again, he finds the bridge, kills the cats there, and finds the Navcom AI from the Pegasus. Then Gerals comes and acuses Blair of being a traitor. Then the CO from the Pegasus steps forword and is about to shot Blair and Gerald, but Blair shows him his Pilgrim cross. The traitor tells Blair that he has to prove himself, and tells him to kill Gerald. Blair uses his Pilgrim cross, while Gerald uses his knife. The fight, and Blair is about to kill Gerald, but he turns around and throws his cross at the traitor. He hits him, and the Traitor starts to die, but before that he pulls out a grenade.
smile.gif
Blair and Gerald barley escape from the explosion. However, before Gerald came and acused Blair, Merlin told Blair that the Pilgrim signals are being sent from the Claw using something that only the CO and the XO have acces to. So at first Blair thinks Gerald is the traitor, but then it turns out that he isn't, so there's only one more person that can be the traitor. Gerald and Blair rush back to the 'Claw and go to Captain Sansky's quarters, where he's recovering from the wounds he suffered in the previous battle. Sansky tells them he took a poison, and he'll die in a few minutes. He gives Blair the ring that belongs to Tolwyn and asks him to give it back to the Admiral, and then he dies.

That's basicly it. There are some less important things from the subplot in between that of course.

Yeah, that roughly sums up the traitor subplot part.
Morph: you can get most of the WC books on Amazon, pretty cheap, that`s where I bought my book.

Ya know, that blade in Blair's cross doesn't look very strong. I'm surprised it punched through Wilson's suit there.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Back