New Armor mentioned in WC3

Dallas and Flash were both military trained and they didn't seem particularly eager to court glory. Besides don't privateers hold "fortune favors the bold" as their catchphrase?

Privateers have ways of stealing Confed equipement to sell on the black market. There's always a way. ;)

I never said that if you HAVE military training you were going to be any good, just that those who make it as a mercenary/trader/pirate usually are.

bold can be relative...

What about the Hades-class Quick Strike Cruisers? They have some form of laser proof armor, don't they?

i would think the hulls of starships would be able to withstand the blast of measly fighter mounted lasers.

Er, you never know. A well placed group of full salvo shots from an Excal could probably rip through a Cat ship if it's sheilds are down.

Originally posted by Nep Parth
Um, Platolum IS mentioned in the Wc universe again. You see, many of the newer ships use platolum as their armor. Vampire? Platolum. Wasp? Platolum. You get the point.

Hey Sonntag, congrats on the Abitur. I hear the gymnasium exams are quite tough. Enjoy the party afterwards...

Thank you... Well it was hard, so I am glad that I have made it... The parties afterwards, well that is another story. I survived these, too, but did not have it particulary well the next day :) (or as we say in German, Bier mit Wein, das laß sein)

It is possible that the Vampire and the other ships use platolum, this could be one reason that explains the technology leap between Wing Commander 3 and WCP, so I think that might be possible.

On the other hand, this is very speculative (as are all technological SciFi discussions), but interesting anyway.

Greetings Michael

Sonntag: I don't think it states what material the WCP fighters are using for their armor.

Supdon3: The WCP manual mentions that the cloak equipped reconaissance Excals had lasers only.

Well then its not likely those reconnasiance Excalibers would be able to do much damage to a capship would it?

Just a thought...
This new laser-proof armor could be an explanation for the WC2/3 armor thickness discrepancy.... if the armor were nearly immune to laser fire it'd certainly be more resiliant and hence be given a higher rating!

Manic: Platolum was discovered during WC3. There's no time to implement it on current fighters. The improvement in shields and armor had to with other technological developments.

Isometal... right... why the heck didn't I think of that?
Well, same idea. Different metal.

[Edited by Manic on 07-24-2001 at 17:56]

Back