Netscape 6...

Frosty

a full fledged GF
It actually doesn't suck. I think it's pretty much as fast as IE5 if not faster, and so far is around as stable.

I think I'll make this my default.

------------------
Hats off to the new-age hairstyle made of bones,
Hats off to the use of hats as megaphones...

-Frosty

It does everything the correct way. I was impressed to find it exceptionally normal.

------------------
Hats off to the new-age hairstyle made of bones,
Hats off to the use of hats as megaphones...

-Frosty

We'd gotten a couple dozen Netscape 5 hits about a year ago according to our tracking software..

But wasn't Netscape 5 the one that was supposed to have that new Gecko engine?

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

They decided to skip 5 and go straight to 6. 6 is pretty good. I downloaded PR1 two days ago. It needs a few improvements, but most things should be worked out by final release. BY then I'll have a new computer that is fast as h..l and with DSL, so I'll really be able to test out NEtscape 6.

Netscape 6 is pretty damned good! I just downloaded it this morning. And it's so small I still had time to make it to uni on time for my tutorial. Kick ass. On the other hand my mouse wheel doesn't seem to work and it seems to be doing a shit load of writing to my HD which is slowing things down a bit. But that might just be a perculiarity of my system. I sometimes get the same problem using Netscape4.X.

Whoa ... I just noticed something. The previous posts to this thread are now in a frame. When did this happen??

------------------

The frame thing is a feature of the UBB... Netscape was unable to use it before V6 (though you could see it in IE)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Shame NS6 screws up tables. Compare the CIC front page in NS6 to how it appears in IE.

------------------
Barrie "Cpl Hades" Almond
balmond@wcnews.com

Hehe... if it can't do something as fundamental as drawing a table, I'm not even going to consider installing it
cool2.gif

Last edited:
Damn NS6. Does anyone know the recommended memmory requirements for it? When I use it offline (checking how my website looks with better CSS support) it works well enough, but once I dail in and load up ICQ it slows down to a freakin crawl. And it's always writing to my HD. What the hell??

------------------

installation wise is ok..but startup is freaking slow..
and i cant get the messager to list out the newsgroups available for news.creativelabs.com..
still give me the sluggish feeling

Well NS6 seems to have stopped writing to my HD. Maybe it happens once and that's it. There also seems to be a bug with Preferences. My preferences are not saved.

Anyway, hopfully they'll get it right with the final release. I'd hate to have to start using IE as my default browser
smile.gif

------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
The responsiveness of the interface is slower than IE'S on my computer. And it does that disk thrashing too. And if a page has too many popups (like that one that someone in here posted the link
wink.gif
), it'll crash with a big BANG. Plus, I just didn't like that all blue look. And it looks like they tried to jumble too much things on screen. Toolbar on the top, on the bottom, on the left...

The disk thrashing occurs even on a computer with 64MB of memory. Perhaps an UDMA disk will help, but I don't know. It crashed 5 times already here and I've just been using it for 5 hours...

And the thing doesn't even have an Uninstall shortcut. Not even in the Add and Remove programs thingie in Windows. Sheesh.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited April 15, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised NS6 is so slow given that it's only slightly over 3Mb. I downloaded and installed it in half an hour. Hopefully this is because Netscape released their new browser too soon and it's buggy as hell.

Yes too much shit on the screen, but you can remove the sidebar, the one on the bottom isn't too annoying and we're all used to having a bar on the top aren't we? As for the blue, I'm kinda partial to the color blue but NS6 is skinable so I'm not too concerened about the color scheme. And I believe there's help in the readme on how to uninstall NS6.

------------------

Back