Need help...please...

No, go buy, then build (or rebuild your computer, keep the case, sound card, drives, video card, etc, just upgrade the motherboard and the CPU
smile.gif
)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning on rebuilding my main machine. Getting a new box, pobably one of those big full towers, with a new motherboard.

Anyone knows of a Super7 motherboard with AGP 4X support?

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited January 27, 2000).]

If you get one from a good company (eg Asus or Abit who make great motherboards.) most have 4X AGP support... just make sure to check the specs
smile.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Well if I want to buy a new machine I'll go for the best.
smile.gif
And I don't realy know anything about building computers.
frown.gif

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited January 27, 2000).]

I've checked Asus and Epox.

Asus only has the P5A, which is UDMA33 and AGP 2X. (I only want "bare" motherboards, not those things with a cheap video chip thrown in).

The ones from Epox that support AGP 4X have those damn onboard video chips, with no AGP slot on the board.

I'm goin to check Abit now...

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

Well, darn. Tried to go to Abit's site and got dumped to a cheap store. Go figure...
frown.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited January 27, 2000).]

Earthworm: It's not like you have to etch the circuits into the processor
smile.gif
. You just have to put the parts together. If you can read a manual, then you'll manage.
As for buying the best... Well, by the time the best is cheap enough to be worth buying, it's no longer the best...

And that's the universal law of computer hardware...

Heh
biggrin.gif

------------------

Hopefully the rate of computer hadware advancement will start to slow down. Die sizes are getting smaller and then quantum physics will really kick in and mess things up. Unless we start freezing computers of course ... I hear IBM has chips at -100 celsius running at 2-3GHz ...

BTW, what's Intel working on now? Katmai was the last x86 processor right? So what's next?

Steampunk: Slow down? Not for a while. Besides, even if processors slow down, graphics cards won't, and if they do, then we still have motherboards, sound cards, and lots of other junk. I'm afraid it's not gonna end any time soon
smile.gif

Steampunk: There are far too many areas that are as yet unexplored...
And even if the hardware stops, the software will go on. Who knows, perhaps one day, someone might even make... Bug-free software... But you bet it won't be Microsoft
smile.gif

OK Quarto, so can you give me a list of all the things I need to buy, and an address to an online store where I could get all that stuff?

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Earthworm: Sorry, you got the wrong person. I don't know the first thing about ordering online. But I'm sure TC or one of the others will chime in and tell you
smile.gif

Earthworm, send me an e-mail or talk to me on ICQ and I'll give you a hand if I can.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Quarto: Updated software I can deal with, software doesn't get updated so regularly. It's the hardware that's impossible to keep up with. Unless you have heaps to cash to throw around of course ...

Steampunk: Really? I for one am sick of having to deal with a new, bug filled operating system every two years. Although I have found Win98 to be more stable...
If I had heaps of cash to throw around, I wouldn't be using a Celeron
smile.gif

Back