My Privateer Thread

since we´re talking privateer, and I cant play it in my comp (though Im seriously considering buying a 486 to play it and the old wcs), could you guys answer me a couple of questions related to the story of privateer?

I was reading over the section of wcnews that has all game missions, and I saw thing that I dont remember one bit

- Dr. Monkhouse, who has the second píece of the artifact. is he the same guy who was an archaeologist on Mars studing the Steltek? and what is the artifact?

- Palan is bloackaded when you go after him. By whom, and why?

Originally posted by Stryker
I don't mean to change the subject but someone alwile ago i belive in this thread had the idea of playing threw privateer with the Trarus. This made me thinking and i havent gotten threw the hole game fully with it.
Has anyone done this? or did they make the game where its impossable, call me crazy but theres somthing about that ship that is apealing as of lates.

Well the Tarsus has the least speed, armor, and the smallest gun capacitors, but it is possible to win with it if you can fly really well. Remember to get two missile or torp launchers--using ordnance to kill the first enemy fast is important when you are facing more than three enemy ships at once.

Originally posted by Kalfor

I was reading over the section of wcnews that has all game missions, and I saw thing that I dont remember one bit

- Dr. Monkhouse, who has the second pú‚ce of the artifact. is he the same guy who was an archaeologist on Mars studing the Steltek? and what is the artifact?

Yes, it is the same guy. The artifact is one half of a tablet showing a map that indicates the location of the Steltek base where you later find the Steltek cannon that you mount onto your ship. Monkhouse has the other half of the tablet.

- Palan is bloackaded when you go after him. By whom, and why?

Two rival corporations are feuding in the Palan system. One corporation is trying to block the other from getting supplies to the planet in the holes that it will give up and let the blockading corporation move in and take their market share.

Originally posted by Stryker
I don't mean to change the subject but someone alwile ago i belive in this thread had the idea of playing threw privateer with the Trarus. This made me thinking and i havent gotten threw the hole game fully with it.
Has anyone done this? or did they make the game where its impossable, call me crazy but theres somthing about that ship that is apealing as of lates.

Yes I've seen the Tarsus on the Steltek derilict. And started RF with it too. You can really beef it up in RF. The reason you're nostalgic about the Tarsus, is because once you trade it, it's GONE. You can go back and forth between the other ships, but if you want to fly the Tarsus, keep it and don't be afraid to burn missiles.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by hakkafusion
i can't get myjemm to work with privateer... i get an "error code 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have this problem too. Someone help please.

Zhak.

It's because You don't have EMS enabled. If You're running Windows ME, go to Start - Run - system.ini

In the [386Enh] section You will find a row which looks something like this:

EMMExclude=C000-CFFF,C000-CFFF

Put a colon in front of it, like so

;EMMExclude=C000-CFFF,C000-CFFF

Save the file and restart Your computer. Privateer should run fine now.

MyJemm RULES!

it won't work on my computer too because EMS is not enabled on my pc, probably the same problem with yours Sycrasians...

How do I enable EMS??? I forgot how to do it since I haven't play around with MS-DOS for quite a while now...

Originally posted by hakkafusion
How do I enable EMS??? I forgot how to do it since I haven't play around with MS-DOS for quite a while now...

Me too. Man, I remember tinkering with my old 486's memory all the way and back in order to get my games running, but now...

Originally posted by gryphon

In the [386Enh] section You will find a row which looks something like this:

EMMExclude=C000-CFFF,C000-CFFF

Put a colon in front of it, like so

;EMMExclude=C000-CFFF,C000-CFFF

Tried it with Win98 SE and it went from "error code 2" to "can't run program" or something...

I got a few other question. I finished Privateer (loved it) and started RF. Are the Fusion Cannons worth the money? I saved up enough money to buy the speed enhancer for a lousy 85 kps (167 on afterburner) in the Centurion ( I guess it would matter more in a fighter craft that was already slow ). What does the gun cooler do? I bought it and it doesn't seem to do much. The shield regenerator is nice though. :)

C-ya

fusion ain't that good... high energy cost... if i can remember correctly, tachyon all da way, then if you want more powerful ones, get particle... but i think that's about it... they're the best ones...

so anyone know how to solve the "error code 2" problem with myjemm??? plz help! :p

Originally posted by Viper61
I got a few other question. I finished Privateer (loved it) and started RF. Are the Fusion Cannons worth the money? I saved up enough money to buy the speed enhancer for a lousy 85 kps (167 on afterburner) in the Centurion ( I guess it would matter more in a fighter craft that was already slow ). What does the gun cooler do? I bought it and it doesn't seem to do much. The shield regenerator is nice though. :)

C-ya

i love fusion cannons. i'm doing RF again and i got a centurion with 4 fusions up front. energy drain ain't that much. don't know the specs for it, but it's only a little higher than the tachyon, but packs more of a punch. all in all, it is a most excellent gun. gun cooler increases the guns refire rate, and is most excellent too

The fusion cannons are indeed good guns. With the cooler they fire fast, energy drain is marginal. However...

....they are slightly lower in damage potential than the Plasma guns. With the cooler, the Plasma guns are great. Slap two of em on the Centurion's inner gunslots and whatever other guns you prefer on the outer gunslots. Even tho the Plasma guns refire rate is still somewhat slow, they definately deliver more fire power than the fusion cannons.

JMO, dont get in a wad folks.

Originally posted by RFBurns
The fusion cannons are indeed good guns. With the cooler they fire fast, energy drain is marginal. However...

....they are slightly lower in damage potential than the Plasma guns. With the cooler, the Plasma guns are great. Slap two of em on the Centurion's inner gunslots and whatever other guns you prefer on the outer gunslots. Even tho the Plasma guns refire rate is still somewhat slow, they definately deliver more fire power than the fusion cannons.

It all depends on where your priorities are when it comes to guns. Do you want maximum damage output? Then go with the Plasma cannons. Do you want a gun with more range and speed? Then go with the Fusion cannons.

Back