my personal database

my guess is that "better than necessary" was something of a standard for the art team.

That and if I recall correctly, many of the ships were used as background art at the varoius bases, so they probably wanted to set the bar high so they would look their best regardless of placement. Whatever the reason was, it paid off; When I fired up Privateer for the first time back in 04 or 05 after having played Prophecy and at least seen WC3/4 in action, I was amazed how much more 'real' Privateer with its relatively crappy old sprites looked and felt, disregarding FMV.

One of the coolest things about the models, though is the Gothri's gun placement, it's a shame it didn't make it into any fan project like Standoff or Saga.

Also, completely unrelated, what's the deal with its/it's in grammar. Word seems to correct me to "its" regardless of context.

Also, completely unrelated, what's the deal with its/it's in grammar. Word seems to correct me to "its" regardless of context.
wall AFAIK (and note, I'm not a native English speaker myself)
it's is short from it is like in "it is a good day to die", while its is possesive from it (like his is possesive from he) like in
-whose collar it is?
pointing at the dog -its

It's/Its is something with which the whole internet has a problem. "It's" is a contraction of "It is" where "Its" is the possessive form of "It."

"It's cold outside, today." - Contraction.
"My gum has lost its flavor." - Possessive.

Mancubus got it correct, I just thought his example was a little strange.

Thanks guys.

Word definitely seems to occasionally clamp down on proper use of "it's" for some reason, maybe I need an upgrade or something.

Wow, i didn't even know there was a file archive which contains the original privateer models. Guess i was living under a stone when this package was uploaded. Think of what you can do with all this neat stuff...retopologize a model, threw it into xNormal, bake normalmaps, colormaps, etc. from the high poly one and voila: You got yourself a 100% accurate privateer model which can be rendered in realtime in an actual game.

Oh i really have to try this out when i have some spare time ...

Nice work on all those renderes Red Baron. I first thought they looked a little outdated/amateurish as they don't have any ao, gi, shadowing or other nifty effects. But then i realized that they look exactly like in the games if you scale the pictures down.
So yeah, nice job on archiving that look and creating a lighting situation similar to the one origin had when rendering these models :)

Now keep them pics coming! ;)

[edit] woah, just had a first look at the pack. The content is pure sweetness. :) As Red Baron already suggested, you should get yourself an app which can import .3ds and have a look at it yourself. Some files are messed up and you have to manually add textures and stuff, but most of the files are quite useable. Guess it's no sleep for me tonight... :D

Interesting. I knew about the obvious ones, but the Sabre thing on the Spikeri is news to me. Thanks.
Next up something you don't see that often, background vehicles from Privateer. They may not be as detailed as the ships, but consider that normally you don't see as much as a few pixels of them, and they still pack a LOT of detail for that.
So, we have the Inlvuil (?), some kind of Space Delorian and a car with a plasmagun(!) mounted on its side.

Dear Red Baron
I would like to bring your attention to a mid-1980's movie "The Last Starfighter," which featured the character Centauri and his... "Starcar" (vehicle also featured parked in Back to the Future II)

Attachments

• 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 145
  • header19full.jpg
    header19full.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 143
  • starcar1.jpg
    starcar1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 364.jpg
    364.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 160
LMAO... no one notice the instructions on the sign next to the scanner-device in the Oxford Lab Device picture? Red Baron has a good sense of humor.

~~~: step 2... (the rest you could get away with in the game since the animation is on screen for such a short amount of time... even the game company may have put steps 3+4 as a joke, but #2 would be a real surprise if it was actually in the game

The instructions read:
1) insert non-metalic objects into vat
2) put your finger up your butt
3) wish real hard
4) live peacefully and vote for people party

Yeah that's the original from the game. I'm a humourless ass myself.

@Reaper: Thanks a lot. Shame i didn't recognize it myself, Last Starfighter is one of my favourite movies of all times.

Back