Multiplayer - Mission Builder

Maslas

Rear Admiral
How could we mod standoff and make it MULTIPLAYER? I mean this game is very fun!!! and a WC Standoff tournament would be great!!! Getting scores just on the boards is very funny but being able to engadge another player in multiplayer has a totaly different taste!

By the way do you know any good mission builder to use for standoff(secret ops)?

Well just hand them over a full network code for the game, and they would probaly(spelling?) happy integrate it. AFAIK it is a big gap between sendinge a file to a host once at the end of an session, then having a constant stream of data from on Client to the Host. But yes, Standoff as REAL MP would simply rule

There is no good missionbuilder and probably never will be. Missions as are in standoff are very complex. It would be quite hard/impossible to create those with a point and click interface. WCPas IS a great tool for doing missions. However it will never be for the normal user.

As for multiplayer - I kinda doubt it will be possible to hack a multiplayer routine into WCP. We can't even modify the AI rigth now...

You will never get a multiplayer mode without the source code for WCP. It would be easier to make a new engine from scratch, mission builder or not.

If you're looking for something with a gui mission editor, I have to point out flight commander (FC). But if you want to make complex missions for FC you'll still need to write some scripts. Source is available if you're willing and able to add networking code yourself.

@KillerWave: Personally if I'd do any sort of flightsim I'd do a generic pilot object that can either be controlled by an AI or by a network stream. Maybe such a thing could actually be hacked into SO as well if we would understand the AI programming first?

I am in no way an expert in hacking the vision engine, and I know that you probably won't be able to do anything to the AI without the sourcecode either, but don't you think this would be possible?

As far as I know, no one managed to hack the AI yet, and I dont think anyone is currently atempting it. Someone will probably shot me, but I think it would be better off (and far easier) to invest on some modifications to the freespace 2 engine, and use their source code for a mod.

Well, I bet it was the part where you said "better off" and "Freespace 2" in the same sentence. :p

You were expecting to be shot at, but Pierre is too nice for that. :p

Ohh...

Just note I said engine-wise, not game-wise. Just pointed the fact that a engine with open source is far easier to mod.

KillerWave said:
Just note I said engine-wise, not game-wise. Just pointed the fact that a engine with open source is far easier to mod.

It's probably just a translation error, but by saying "and use their source code" and "and far easier," you're saying that those reasons are in addition to some other primary reasons. So the way you wrote it, you're not just saying that an engine with source code is easier to mod.

Back