MoSlo? CPUKiller? How do I run WC1 besides SM2?

U

Unregistered

Hi. I have a rather slow computer (500 Mhz P3), but still a bit too quick for WC1. In SM2, they installed some kind of frame-rate limiter, but I guess there was never a patch for WC1/SM1. I tried MoSlo, and it didn't do anything. I also tried CPUKiller, and it worked, in its way, it made everything jerky without making it more managable: things still went too quickly for combat, just like without it, but now it had the added problem of frame-skipping, so instead of automatically dying in three seconds of combat, I die in three seconds of combat with jerky frames. I should note that I did both of these in a Windows environment.

My apologies if this matter is already thoroughly covered in some other part of WCNews. I couldn't find the article, if it exists, myself.

ROFLMAO. "A bit too quick". You know WC1 ran perfectly on a 286 with 12-16 Mhz. So 500 is a little more then a bit faster.
Back on topic. If Moslo didn't work you did a) either use it false or b) you used a too restrictive setting. If you slow down too much it doesn't work at all. In any case it will probably still be jerky albeit not as bad as with CPU-Killer.
There are mainly 3 options:
a) Disable any kind of caches in your BIOS, then boot to TRUE DOS (booting Windows will now need 10 Minutes)
b) Try DOSBOX
c) Buy Kilrathi Saga

I had a similar setup when I used Moslow...I would suggest setting it set CPU speed at 50% and then try running the game again. You will probably need to tweak with it from there but I suggest you start at 50% and work your way on down.

Also, you could try to find the Kilrathi Saga and use that...

I run WC1 by disabling L1 and L2 cache in my BIOS (labelled "internal cache" and "external cache" OMM, which is a bit of a misnomer these days) and then running the 1.4 demo version of moslo at 80%:
moslo /80 wc.exe
(PIII 933, incidentally).

moslo without the cache disabled just won't quite do it. I've found bremze works *really* well without fiddling with the cache, but of course for that you have to pay.

Back