Marine Force Recon poll

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
I'm still plugging away at this Duke 3D conversion and wanted some outside input. I'm currently trying to decide if I should do away with the jetpack, that is native to the game, and just use ladders for up and down movement. Or if I should keep the jetpack available.
I want to keep this TC as true to the WC universe as I possibly can. I'm even planning on creating an Ekapshi enemy to replace the Pigcop recon vehicle.:cool:

i dont think they have jetpacks in wc, but dont take my word for it. id say ladders would be cool.

Ladders, stairs and lifts will do just fine.

The jetpack will only come into it if you put one of them in the game to collect, won't it? Or cheat...

Are you starting the mod or are you finishing it? I mean if you are at the start you could choose another game. Duke 3d it's kind of old...

Jetpacks depend on the enviroment. There's some levels where it's useless, others where it's an absolute lifesaver.

The Duke3D engine may be older, but it's still kick ass. If you disagree, you never played the absolutely terrifying Shining TC.

compare3.jpg

I agree with Shooter
Doing a TC based onto Duke3d it's kinda weird...
And it is no more kick ass. No 3d acceleration, uses still sprites, works well under dos, not so well on every machine under Windows...Wing Commander is already a quite old game, why let it looks like even older?
As for jetpacks, I cannot understand why put them in. never saw Dekker or his laddies flying around with one of them!

Because the engine is old doesn't mean its no longer good. In fact, you have a crap load more support and reference since the game has been out so long.

As far as a game that old goes, the only one I could recomend more would be Jedi Knight, though D3d's Build engine is SOOOOO well made and easy.

Lehah, check out the editing infos that are aviable on Unreal engine, HalfLife engine Deus EX UT engine derivation and so on...
They're almost the double size of the ones for Duke...And you DO NOT have any crap load suppot by using a 3d engine that has gone died. No community talks about it, the site that treated it (even if they existed) have almost all gone dead. that's all
Please don't misunderstand me, I'm a Duke 3d fan too and I'm not even saying that the project is bad, It was Shaggy's choice. A very very odd choice.

Back